May 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Apr 30, 2017.

?

What is your plan for MAYhem?

1. Gonna get crazy with the group using less than fine Japanese shavettes!

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. Can you say blade on a finger? I'm in!

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  3. I have other ideas/plans that will definitely fall into the MAYhem category.

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. I'm sane. I'll be doing a rule or focus and loving every minute of it!

12 vote(s)
    37.5%
  5. I'll be watching the MAYhem like watching a train wreck....is that all the blood you could manage?

12 vote(s)
    37.5%
  6. Cookies. Where are the cookies?

13 vote(s)
    40.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Welcome to MAYhem 2017!!! Two years ago I decided to try all of the worst blades I could find in a month. I chose May. I called my focus “Mayhem or Mercy” after modifying it to allow for decent gear the second half of the month. Still horrible blades, but instead of using the worst razors and software all month I split it in half. For the morbidly curious, here’s the LINK to my plan for that first MAYhem. From there things have evolved until MAYhem is a month we seem to rush headlong into with a desire to try the dumbest, most unique, and just plain weird stuff as part of our shaves. As has been mentioned, we’ve even been challenged to shave with a blade on a finger! Whaaaaattttt? Surely nobody would be dumb enough to try that, right? Hey @Drygulch I'm looking at you! Nobody is that dumb, right?

With this crew anything is possible, the sky is the limit and the shenanigans flow naturally from the bizarre way our minds work.

Now, the following is important. First of all, if you are not one who wants to try out the strange, weird and just plain stupid, that’s perfectly fine! Decide what your Rule or Focus is and let’s have a great month doing what we do! If you want to join in the MAYhem either as a group project or something unique yourself, feel free to do so! But remember……….

Any use of objects not designed for shaving, or the use of shaving products in ways for which they are not designed, or any such use or misuse is NOT RECOMMENDED by The Shave Den and all such shaves and actions are AT YOUR OWN RISK! Officially, it should be stated that such acts are unwise and potentially dangerous.

Now that that’s out of the way – LET MAYHEM COMMENCE!

Welcome back or welcome for the first time!! Wondering what the heck a 30 Day Rule or Focus is? Well, let’s let the one, the only, the legendary and mystical @Bama Samurai remind us. Please rise and remove your hats and hold your favorite razor aloft in tribute. We’ll pause for a moment of revered silence.

HEY! I said pause for revered silence! Ok, now you can proceed.

The 30 Day Rule (designed to build solid technique or learn new technique)

1 brush, 1 soap, 1 brand of blades, 1 razor, 30 Days. The rule is really that simple. It seems boring, but this is probably the most straightforward way to learn for a brand new shaver. This is the exercise that really allowed me to clearly see the interplay between the four elements. It is highly recommended for newly converted shavers and more experienced shavers who have a problem that defies resolution. This exercise eliminates variables and will likely solve any problem you may have, with a strict scientific approach.Any thing that strays from these simple guidelines is not a rule, but rather a focus (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

The 30 Day Focus (more flexible, for exploring and comparing)

This is a less rigorous exercise, designed for exploration and comparison of gear and technique. This is the most common exercise on the thread. Generally the elements are rotated one by one to allow clear observation. Examples of focus areas include brush types, blades, soaps, razor variants, or technique foci as a standalone.

These are the suggested guidelines, and serve as a starting point for the discussion each month. Again, if you want to follow the theme in some way feel free. But if you are on a Rule or Focus that doesn’t include the theme we’re totally fine with that. Most of all remember – this is about learning to use the tools and improving our skills so that TECHNIQUE TRUMPS TOOLS!!

Here are the rules. Those not following the rules will be subject to penalties to include a visit from Ivan or Igor to correct that stinkin’ thinkin’!

1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.
    2. Experienced Members also always welcome. Notice I stopped calling us “old”?
    3. Respect everyone
    4. Follow the rules of the forum
    5. All razor types and styles welcome
    6. Any criticism of Russian steel of any kind will be met with swift and ferocious retribution. Ok, so maybe not so swift. The guys have to sober up first. And ferocious? Well, at least slightly uncomfortable to listen to. Plus their breath can kill charging bears.
    7. Any criticism of Feather blades is also subject to the same kind of almost uncomfortable retribution. The Yakuza has started mixing their sake with the vodka from the Cartel boys. Let’s just say it seems to have calmed them down.

Let's have some great shaves people! It's MAYhem 2017!!!!!! Group hug people!

30 day crew portrait.jpg

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

The most magical of time of the year! There will be.....

3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Well I am in for a bit of it. I think a SE shave with a paint scraper blade is in the mix.
    But for more serious stuff I am going work through a focus. The JR #137 Ace Synthetic brush. 30 days to learn how to use this very nice looking synthetic. Soaps. Creams. Shave sticks here I come.

4. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Neal @NCoxSTL, you were doing fine with the introduction (nice use of blood red for the obligatory warning and disclaimer btw) -- right up until the warcry in the last paragraph of "Arko adjustable April!" Then a timewarp set in...

5. Bama Samurai

Shave sticks are where synthetics truly shine. They mix soap, regardless of my methodology, far more efficiently than natural fiber. Should be a good time.

6. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I have a series of questionable razors to use this month, along with some questionable blade. Two were supplied by @mrchick, so those should be fun. I also have a Chinese DE and blade that was a door prize in the February raffle. The base plate bent when I ran my finger over it, and it came with a high quality looking blade. Then there is my DEvette, where I removed the comb on an open comb razor. The pain stick with Dorco blade will likely also make an appearance. There will likely also be a second attempt with the finger razor. My rescue razors for the month will be my Rolls Imperial and Koraat straight. I like to say I can shave with just about anything. Mayhem is the month to prove that. Technique Trumps Tools.

7. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I have GOT to stop editing/writing this late at night. The cracks in the space/time continuum are thickest at this hour.

8. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Well, I have a fine ultra-high quality Japanese Little Lily shavette here to use for my first introductory shave to the world of straight razor / shavette shaving. I will use that on whatever day the Herd of Lemmings decides is Cliffjumping Day. (My Will is sitting out on my home office desk right now, btw, with a fresh updating Codicil attached and everything...)

If I survive the tender touch of Little Lily, I have a Magic shavette I might experiment with a little bit, assuming I can figure out the right blades for it.

Otherwise, I am simply going to plod along, plowing through trials with the rest of my soap inventory. Since I just finished using a batch of Italian croaps including one by Valobra, I think I will start that with my two pucks of Valobra hard soap, so I can compare their soft and hard soaps.

9. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I'm guessing the answer is:
    IMG_1659.JPG

10. Bama Samurai

This post makes me happy! You're gonna do great. In a DE shavette I've found that blade selection isn't a big deal. Just use whatever your on hand "fave" is to start. If you want a specific couple to try, I'd say GSB and Voskhod, as both are fairly sharp and Teflon coated for easy glide. Skin stretching is mandatory, and most SR shavers probably use wetter and thicker lather, lather that would clog mild DE. Other than that....just go get it! Good luck.

11. Bama Samurai

12. Bama Samurai

In a nutshell, this is May. When you did the DEvette it was so cool I made one too! Good luck with the rescues!

13. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Hmmmmm. I can add that to my list of potential soap replacements.

14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Couple more years of hanging around trying to keep my Focus and maybe I'll develop the Laser Like abilities to commit to a Rule.
    Not gonna happen this month.

Razor (s) - Weck Sextoblade Shavette is my tool of Focus to develop better Technique. There will be Sayuri Kamisori shaves if it goes past the first use. I keep my #195 close by for clean up along with half a dozen other DE & SE that keep me from getting close to boredom.

Blades - Filbberdegibbet! Long since gave up trying to keep up with Neal's Grand Blade Trials by matching my blades to his. While I don't have DE blades the way Brian has Straight razors (and what ever else he filled that cabinet up with) I've never settled on MY blades. I've seen the Light; it's more about Technique than Tools. Unless they're bad tools.

Soap; Still working my way through samples from The Soap Pass Around. Even figuring out how to shave with pre-shave soaps! That's nearly kept me from the other soaps I've gathered. I think I can use a different one for each shave this month without repeating...

Brushes; Boars, badgers, synthetics - Check! Variation in lather making devices doesn't stop me from enjoying good lather. They'll all rotate dictated by the Soap of the Day.

Post Care products; An alum block is standard in my den. Aftershaves, balms, and lotions will compliment soap scents if I have one. Otherwise chosen on a whim. I didn't neglect listing preshave stuff. I just don't use much more than a splash of water.

If that sounds like a plan, it was accidental. Ready? Go!
    Bridge-Jumping1.jpg

15. Bama Samurai

Newcomers and the usual suspects, perhaps?

16. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I am going to be watching the blood sports and focusing on my two finishing hones: Shapton glass 16 and Zulu Grey

I am planing something for Mayhem, I have a vicious straight that always draws blood so I tried to sell it. I think I failed in the marketing of this blood thirsty blade as it has not sold, not even an inquiry. So I think if it is not sold then I will hone it up for the blood sports of May.

I asked my smart alec girlfriend if see would tape a GEM se blade to my finger...... her response, 'I don't want to talk to you now, you are clearly not sober."

17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I am thinking so. This will probably become my goto travel brush also. So shavesticks will be a good thing for it to master.

Is she a chunky redhead? Sounds like a keeper anyway it goes.

18. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

A brunette, a very fiery Korean woman. Actually a much more sedate reaction than I expected, I asked in the morning so she was still sleepy.

19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Smart man....carry on!!

20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

:happy102: I can only imagine the reaction I would get from my wife.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.