Blade Reviews Thread - read the rules before posting

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BaylorGator, Apr 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Blade longevity is highly related to attack angle, razor geometry and applied pressure. So is irritation....

BaylorGator and Keithmax like this.
  2. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

I agree with this too. I don't think technique vs hardware has to be an either or proposition just a weighted one. For example I can use my best set up but do it a little sloppy or most likely put too much pressure on my lower neck and end up with irritation but I can use my worst set up and pay close attention and get an okay shave just not great. I guess it's a technique trumps hardware but hardware definitely matters scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BaylorGator likes this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Hardware actually matters more to the experienced user. Think golf clubs! When a player is new, and has a handicap of - 36, all clubs are the same. But, to a pro golfer, the difference between a $600 custom wood and an off the shelf driver is obvious and appreciable.

Keithmax and BaylorGator like this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I like your style. Your going to do just fine.

Amen.....

On another note I need to try some of the Derby's I keep hearing about.

5. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Wait, I think we're having a blade discussion where everyone is on the same page and setting the groundwork for honest, civil, discussion. Is this possible? Did the clouds just part or something?
    :bounce017: :happy093::bounce017: :happy096:

Keithmax, wchnu and LevelupShaves like this.
  6. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Maybe it's me, but I've always taken a different view on the Shaving vs. Golf analogy. I see both as an activity where the majority of participants are poor to mediocre and that whole industries have sprung up based on the idea of improving the game of the poor player through application of technology.

To me, "Let Noxema cream your face, so the razor won't." is analogous to "Take a full stroke off every hole by using XXX-brand golf balls." By extension, the Dorco Pace 7 is the equivalent of a Titanium driver with a carbon fibre shaft.

I do think your point is well taken, though. A shaver with poor technique will cut himself just as easily with a Tech as with a Timeless.

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Let me throw a queation out to the panel. What is the big deal about coated blades? Other then rust prevention. The coated part of the blade is not going against your face as I see things,. Just the edge, which is not coated. I am curious as to the attraction of the coated blades. This is both SE and DE related.

jsw41, Keithmax and BaylorGator like this.
  8. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

@GlennConti did a lot of research into this recently as part of a digression about the evolution of Gillette blades. In one of his posts, he quoted from the relevant patents:
    In short, the coating keeps the partially severed hairs from sticking to the blade and causing tugging.

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

So the cutting edge is coated. That is what had me confused. I did not think the edge was coated.

Keithmax and Bama Samurai like this.
  10. LevelupShaves

Neither did I. I always thought it was just rust prevention

Bama Samurai likes this.
  11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I still do. But admit that I could be wrong. I do not see how you can coat the edge and still have it razor sharp. With a medical blade I could see where it keeps the stuff from sticking to the blade. With a razor there is so little of the blade exposed I do not see it. I will keep an open mind though and read more on it.

12. BaylorGator

Could be marketing hype, but I gotta believe that there is at least a little something to it, and here's my rationale why: Gillette has spent a fortune over the years on R&D. (This can be verified as they are a public company.) While admittedly, nowadays that R&D seems to be a lot about making a razor look like a sneaker, adding extra blades that don't cause obvious irritation, or creating fashion statement with a neon color scheme, this didn't seem to be the case in the 50's. Back then it was more about coatings and things that weren't that showy or sexy. If I was going for purely marketing hype back then, I'd have spent a lot less on R&D, and a lot more on making sure everyone on the planet knew the 101 reasons why to buy my blade with the new "magical coating". Since they didn't do that, I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt. Having said that, this is just a guess; not a fact. (For all I know, maybe the R&D money was spent for rust reduction, and some smart patent attorney decided to put the above language in for giggles. Seems like a waste of time, though, as most folks don't wade through patent documents before they buy a blade.)

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    Keithmax likes this.
  13. Bama Samurai

My point is in regard only to "starter razor and blade."

And your analogy holds... It's called preshave oil and post shave balm. It encourages newbies to "fix" their results rather than achieve mastery of the tool.

Keithmax likes this.
  14. Bama Samurai

Razors were not a mature market compared to the present day, and the RD had immense value as marketing material later.

Keithmax likes this.
  15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I dunno. Fun to read about though..

BaylorGator likes this.
  16. LevelupShaves

So since it's gotten a little quiet in here I thought I would throw out a quick Blade observation
    Gillette Silver Blues seem to be a pretty rough blade in my limited experience with them. I've used two blades about five times now and each time they just feel a bit rough while shaving. I would even say they are rougher than feathers without the sharpness a feather brings to the table. By the way starting tomorrow it's all going to be Sharks with the Murkur 38C long handle for a 30 day focus I had a few things coming in I had to try first.

Tiredricefarmer and Keithmax like this.
  17. BaylorGator

Feel free to report your progress on the 30 day focus thread if you feel so inclined, Levelup.

18. Bama Samurai

[​IMG]

Notes on Van Der Hagen

After converting three years ago, and with over 400 open blade shaves in the bag...

I cannot recommend this blade. It costs nearly 70¢ per blade, and the performance is lacking. The blade seemed to lack essential sharpness and left me a bit irritated for a bit after the shave. Generic Personna is a far better drugstore option.

Keithmax likes this.
  19. Bama Samurai

At this point I'd recommend two shaves and toss. Left longer, the blade itself becomes a changing variable. Also, try a more shallow shave angle, get up on the cap like a boss! GSB is widely regarded as a AAAA choice, and the lack of sharpness you experience may be related to your angle versus the razor head. The most important thing to do now is to stick with something until you are shave in the dark automatic! Good luck!

Keithmax likes this.
  20. BaylorGator

It's a shame that the retail options are so lacking. It doesn't really bode well for people trying and/or sticking with DE shaving based on what they find in the drugstore.

Keithmax and Bama Samurai like this.