Finally The Superb Feather AS-D2 available on Massdrop again!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Vlasta, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

That's a great price, I hope it reaches $139.99

3. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Me too!!!

4. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Well I bagged one at $139.99 - not bad!!

5. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Damn! Not active anymore. That was a fantastic price!

6. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Yes it was limited to thirty . Put your name down and they will email you next time. I waited for this one!!

7. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

I'm torn between buying a Feather AS-D2 or perhaps buying the Razor Emporium Stainless Steel Rex Supply Co. Razor. I already have so many razors.

Vlasta likes this.
  8. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Buy both!!

9. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I admit it's a good looking razor, but it just seems to be a copy of the Gillette tech with minor differences.

10. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    The devil, they say, is in the detail..... I am sure they are both great razors though.

11. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Active again

12. jar

jar Well-Known Member

I'm still interested in learning folk so does anyone own both a Feather and a nice old Gillette Tech? How do the two compare?

13. Slant Fan

Slant Fan Member

I have had Gillette Techs in the past but cannot recall well enough to opine on the shave. The Feather AS-D2 is an effective but mild shaver. IME the sweet spot has to be found, then it works well enough. For someone with sensitive skin it is an ideal razor. For someone who prefers an aggressive shaver, such as the Blackbird, or the Timeless with a .95 blade gap, I think they would find the AS-D2 too mild for their tastes. Not that you can't get a bbs shave from it, but you have to work harder to get it.

14. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Interesting. In another thread it was described as more aggressive than the Tech. But I am totally clueless when names like Timeless or Blackbird enter the conversation. Unfortunately as an old fart I am really not up to speed on the new products.

Vlasta likes this.
  15. Slant Fan

Slant Fan Member

One 'old fart' to another, a Blackbird or Timeless (@ .95mm blade gap) would be equivalent to a Fatboy or Slim @ 7 I think. The AS-D2 maybe equivalent to a Gillette adjustable at 3-4. IMHO

16. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Okay, that's helpful. Gillette Adjustables I got out the ying-yang.

17. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I have and use both regularly. This is just my opinion and worth every penny that you paid for it.

The Feather AS-D2 is a nice stainless razor. I bought mine lightly used for $100 off the BST on another board. The handle is longer than the fat handle tech and it also has some more heft. If you spend some time learning it, you can pull good shaves from it, but it is definitely on the mild side. I find it more mild than the tech. The tech is a great razor and slightly more efficient than the Feather. I prefer the tech on a weber bulldog handle to the AS-D2. Once you learn the Tech, it will serve you well. If having a stainless razor and spending a good bit on it is important to you and pride of ownership, get the Feather, otherwise get the tech and enjoy it.

Puma and jar like this.
  18. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

Ahhh! That's a handle.

19. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

I just saw the AS-D2 on Jet.com for $149.

20. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor