Brass General ready for 2nd release tomorrow @7am. $99.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Str8on2, May 21, 2017.

1. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Just got an email from Colonial Razors that the Brass General will be up for sale again tomorrow @7am for $99 +shipping costs. First release was recieved well with good reviews despite some minor imperfections. I missed on the first run, won't miss this one....

RaZorBurn123 and clint64 like this.
  2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I got the email as well. I think you'll like the razor.

RaZorBurn123 and Str8on2 like this.
  3. Str8on2

I'm looking forward to it. Your pics were the ones that gave me serious heart palpitations. If it shaves as good as it looks, I'm all in. On a serious note, have you used any variety of the AC style blades? Have either the Kai or Feather given a better shave? I carry both Kai types, Captain Titan & Titan Mild Pink and also the Feather Pro. But rumor has it that the Feather Super Pro turns the Brass General into a very tamed beast, and extremely efficient... Thanks.

clint64 likes this.
  4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you. I have only tried the Feather Pro and Feather Super Pro. The Super Pro did make the razor more efficient but less smooth. Thus far I prefer the Feather Pro and the exceptionally smooth shaves. At some point I will revisit the Super Pro blades.

Str8on2 likes this.
  5. Str8on2

Thanks amigo. That's the response I was expecting. Thank you Sir.....:)

BeShaved and clint64 like this.
  6. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Interesting. A raw brass razor. You can polish it to remove tarnish (verdigris)...just not anything touching the blade. So, the blade pocket brass will get verdigris. Does verdigris accumulate? Does it form a uniform layer? I must be over thinking this one....

BeShaved likes this.
  7. Str8on2

Just a wee bit..... :signs002:

clint64 likes this.
  8. FranklinFurter

FranklinFurter Well-Known Member

Polished brass will develop a rose-colored patina in a few days and this is easily removed with a polish such as Brasso. When I was in the Army, we would shine our brass (belt buckles and any collar insignia) almost daily to remove even the slightest trace of a patina (tarnish). I have some of these items that were last polished decades ago, and the patina presents an attractive effect. The thing to do would be to first use a good polish on the brass and then it could be either left alone or periodically re-polished to maintain a like-new effect. Either way, it is not something to be concerned about. Nothing dramatic will occur.

9. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

How does the Brass General shave compared to similar razors, such as the RazorRock, Cobra, Mongoose, ATT, etc?

FranklinFurter and clint64 like this.
  10. Str8on2

Don't know amigo. I should have mine by tomorrow or Friday. Test will be coming shortly sometime next week as I'm all in on another razor that I'm dialing in. I hear on almost all boards and forums that it is a mild AC style Blade Razor that gives an incredibly smooth and efficient shave. I don't have either of the ones you mentioned, but I do have an Asylum Rx SE that is a wonderfully aggressive but very smooth and efficient razor with a Feather Pro....

DesertTime and clint64 like this.
  11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

They are all similar in that the shaves differ greatly depending on the blade. Unless noted otherwise my comments are based on using the Feather Pro. I define aggressive as the likelihood of drawing blood and efficiency as the ease of beard reduction. I will only comment on the brass General, Mongoose B2, AlumiGoose V1 and the Cobra Classic.

AlumiGoose V1 is the most aggressive and most efficient of the ones I have tried. Cobra Classic less aggressive than the AlumiGoose V1 and just as efficient. Both of these are solid 2 pass razors for me. me using the Feather Pro. The Mongoose B2 requires a Feather Super Pro for me to achieve the same results as the AlumiGoose and Cobra. As such it is more aggressive and less smooth. Loaded with a Feather Pro the Mongoose B2 is milder and less efficient requiring 3 passes for the same results.

The brass General is not aggressive. I have never felt as if I would or could cut myself. It is marginally more efficient than the Mongoose when using a Feather Pro but so much more smooth to use. This is really where it shines for me. Using the brass General I can get an effortless, drama free, near bbs 3 pass shave every single time. I have tried it with a Feather Super and it was not as smooth. I will try the Super again at some point.

Again these are my thoughts and impressions and everyone is different.

PS I really like the patina look. No need to worry or fuss with the razor. Just use it.

BeShaved, LOOT, RaZorBurn123 and 2 others like this.
  12. DesertTime

Thanks for the excellent response. I'm on the verge of ordering a Brass General.

clint64 likes this.
  13. Str8on2

I recommend you do. No more will be produced, as this will be the last batch as per their website announcement. And they are very limited in quantity as I write this.....

DesertTime and clint64 like this.
  14. DesertTime

Thanks for the advice. I ordered one.

15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

A photo to hold you guys over until your brass General razors arrive.

[​IMG]

BeShaved, LOOT, wristwatchb and 2 others like this.
  16. Str8on2

You..... You....... I give up...:drool::angry021:

LOOT and clint64 like this.
  17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

:D:D I knew you would appreciate the photo. The coolest thing I have noticed is the patina changes each day with some places get darker while others get lighter. I think it has to do with rubbing some off during use or cleaning.

LOOT likes this.
  18. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Hm. If it sells well, I wonder why they're going to stop making it.

19. Str8on2

Good question. Perhaps gearing up for their S/S production? Or release of their new DE razor?

clint64 likes this.
  20. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

I assume it is just the brass version (which is currently the only version). That's what they say. So I assume they'd be switching to a different material. I'm still on the fence about getting this.

clint64 likes this.