EVER READY PASS AROUND

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by twhite, May 4, 2017.

1. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

The reference to the big 3 is to the models. They all just happen to be Ever-Ready brands. 1912,1914,&1924 the most prominent SE razors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Redfisher and Karl G like this.
  2. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Hm. I've always heard "GEM MicroMatic" when people were referring to SE's far more than ER. *shrug* It doesn't _matter_, it was just a point of interest.

Karl G and twhite like this.
  3. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Cold water 3.gif
    SOTD May 28, 2017

Blade: GEM carbon
    Razor: Ever Ready 1912
    Brush: Artisan badger
    Lather: Fine American Blend
    WTG

Used the 1912 again yesterday. Terrific lather from the Fine soap and a quick one pass shave with the 1912 that was really smooth and comfortable. Very enjoyable. I will most likely use the 1912 one more time and then move on to the 1914. It's fun trying these out, and thanks to Tom for organizing the pass!

SOTD 5-28-17.JPG

Jim99, Karl G, Zykris and 2 others like this.
  4. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

GEM and Ever-Ready are the most well known and popular SE vintage brands and sometimes overlapped with respect to models or style of razor. For example, there are GEM versions of the 1912 model (as well as Star versions.) Like everything else in shaving YMMV but many would consider these the core classics. Not to say the OCMM or others are not deserving of being considered classics in their own right. :happy088:

Zykris, Redfisher, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

All the same company regardless of branding, the Ever Ready 1912 being a reissue of the GEM 1912. GEM branded razors were often sold as Ever Ready in the UK. I'm not sure about there being a "big three" anyway, I see way more Micromatic OCs than 1914s or 1924s.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Zykris, Karl G, twhite and 1 other person like this.
  6. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

See http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/which-is-the-real-1912-razor.53393/ This is one of many discussions about the interconnections of these companies. (See post #2.) I think of the 1912, 1914, and 1924 as being the classic flip-top style SEs which is what I suspect @twhite was getting at.

PLAla, Jim99, jmudrick and 1 other person like this.
  7. PLAla

Cold water 3.gif
    SOTD May 30, 2017

Razor: Ever Ready 1914 SE
    Brush: JR #142 black badger
    Lather: Soap Commander Fortitude
    WTG, touch up

Switched over to the 1914. My goal is to shave this again and then the 1924 twice and then send it on the way. I'll be going out of town next week and want to keep things moving!

The 1914 was smooth and comfortable. I didn't notice any big differences between it and the 1912. They shave very similarly in my opinion. They are efficient and comfortable and fun to use. Nice shave today with this setup. Looking forward to the rest of the week and trying out the 1924 as well.

Have a great day!

SOTD 5-30-17.JPG

8. PLAla

Cold water 3.gif
    SOTD May 31, 2017

Razor: Ever Ready 1914 SE
    Brush: Semogue 1520 boar
    Lather: Williams Mug Soap
    WTG, touch up

Another nice shave with the 1914 this morning. I really enjoy it. The only drawback for me is the short and small handle. The short handle isn't really a problem but the circumference of the handle is fairly small. But that's a minor issue that doesn't influence the whole razor's experience. It's a great shaver.

Thanks to Tom for organizing this pass-around! I'll move to the 1924 next for a couple of shaves and then send it off to the next recipient. Is @dustmite next?

Have a great day!

SOTD 5-31-17.JPG

9. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Yes he is. Bama wants to be last.

Any other takers? Come one come all.

Karl G and PLAla like this.
  10. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

What about @Jim99? Don't want to cut line...

11. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

You are correct. Sorry Jim

Karl G, dustmite and PLAla like this.
  12. PLAla

Cold Water.jpg
    SOTD June 1, 2017

Razor: Ever Ready 1924 SE
    Brush: Surrey badger
    Lather: Stirling Dunshire
    WTG, touch up

Nice shave with the 1924 this morning. However, it felt much more aggressive than the 1912 and 1914. I've been using the same carbon blade for these razors, so that was the fifth use of that blade. Regardless, it felt like I could feel the blade a good bit more with the 1924. Still ended up with a nice, close shave, but it wasn't as comfortable as the other two razors.

Is that a common experience or did I experience an aberration?

SOTD 6-1-17.JPG

Karl G, Jim99, Zykris and 1 other person like this.
  13. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

That is normal. Try adding a shim under the blade. Take the spine off an old SE blade. Then break it in half. Take one of those sections and place it under the the blade. This will replicate the old style blades with the thicker spines. That will smooth out your shave.

Tom

Karl G, Zykris and PLAla like this.
  14. PLAla

I noticed when putting the blade in that it wanted to float up a little bit near the spine. So a shim makes sense. I'll give that a whirl and see what happens. I am thinking one more shave with the 1924 and then sending it off to @Jim99.

Karl G and Zykris like this.
  15. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

It is more noticeable on the 1924 to me. The shim works for all 3 models.

Karl G, PLAla, Jim99 and 1 other person like this.
  16. PLAla

I used two injector blades as shim before. Would that work here, or do you think the despined blade works better?

Karl G, Jim99 and Zykris like this.
  17. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Anything will work.

18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Is five shaves pushing it for a carbon blade? I do head shaves so can't compare directly.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

19. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I get 5 really good shaves from both Carbon and SS. The Carbon tapers off gradually and the SS seams to give up the ghost all at once. That is my experience. If I only had one blade, I prefer the Carbon.

jmudrick and PLAla like this.
  20. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

I'd have to do some hunting but I've seen a post that shows the height of an old blade and the adjusted height of a modern blade with a shim made from a modern spine. It is very close to dead on. If the twin blades are a different thickness it may still shave well but it won't be replicating the geometry of the blades from the time. :happy088:

PLAla and twhite like this.