Merkur Futur Clone....My thoughts.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rich Daverson, Apr 8, 2017.

1. MetalHead88

MetalHead88 Well-Known Member

Got mine today. Real nice. Way better than the clone that I got a year ago. The adjustment mechanism is nice and smooth. I'll give it a try tonight. I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS and Linuxguile like this.
  2. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I've used Derby, Wilkinson Sword, Dollar General Blades and Feathers. Ming Shi blades, to me, are better than Derby's in the field of sharpness and smoothness. But it falls way behind Feather in sharpness albeit a little smoother. They blow DG out of the water on all. Compared to Wilkinson, my main go to, not as sharp and not anywhere near the smoothness I like.

Linuxguile and jimjo1031 like this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Thanks, just wondering if they are worth using, which I guess they are.

Zykris likes this.
  4. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

You're welcome, Jim.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Primotenore, RyX and jimjo1031 like this.
  6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Half product, a new profits margin program

Jim99 and Primotenore like this.
  7. Redrooster

Redrooster Member

Ive got both the original and the clone copy whatever it is.
    When i first bought the original i used it a couple of times got lots of nicks and weepers and thought stuff this hid it in the back of my cabinet.
    As my technique with shaving got better i dug it out again now i can use it on its highist setting and get no weepers nicks irritation or nothing.
    Just ride the cap its not an aggressive razor its just bad technique on the users part.The clone has different setting its not as wide open on the clone gaps on settings are smaller .Two different shavers in my opinion sent from China for the price of a packet of smokes whats not to like.

8. nav

nav Well-Known Member

My Oh My!!!

I am shocked and surprised by the Mingshi razor.
    I can't believe how this is made to look exactly like the Futur! I wasn't expecting such quality workmanship but it's basically a carbon copy of the Futur, albiet about 50 grams lighter.

I've used the razor for 4 shaves now and here's my feedback...

First shave was not good at all. I went all the way up to 6 and it was uncomfortable and aggressive but not cutting very well. It felt like a LOT of blade chatter! This is something that occurred in the Futur also, which was the reason I sold it off as the Progress shaved significantly better.

So, I added a shim and this made a huge difference!! The blade was much more sturdy and comfortable. I was able to dial it down to 4 and it was shaving pretty good but there was an uneven blade exposure so one side was awesome and the other very aggressive.
    I popped open the top cap, the blade was in the top cap so I centered it and pushed the razor on to the top cap, which I have found the easiest way to load the blade into this razor.

The last couple of shaves after the initial fiddling around, were really great! The razor shaves really awesome, very comfortable and totally BBS...even on the neck! And talk about well balanced...hold the razor where the indent on the handle is and you won't even realise you're holding a 100g razor! But be warned, the razor is hefty and if you apply pressure, you'll get razor burn and tenderness for sure, as I did today. I got too comfy with the razor as it was shaving so smoothly (barely felt the blade) and the balance is so good, I inadvertantly applied a bit of pressure and quickly realised it!

I also got the holding stand for US$5 and it's so cool! The razor fits perfectly and looks really great.

This is honestly the biggest bargain in the wet shaving world at this time! I would recommend this to everyone. I'm gonna order a couple more as it's turned out to be a truly awesome razor, which I will definitely keep and use!

jimjo1031, AGHisBBS, RyX and 4 others like this.
  9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

:happy088:

10. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

My Futur clone came in today. I'm glad I got a refund. [​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS, Linuxguile, RyX and 3 others like this.
  11. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Hey, see if the right side of the guard bar is bent down. So far, two of us have seen that (and commented)

RyX, Tdmsu and jimjo1031 like this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

If it didn't cost more to mail them than they are worth, a dozen Nanjie would make a sparkly wind chime.

AGHisBBS, Keithmax, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  13. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I'll probably toss it in on a trade or pitch it if it's bent. I'll check later tonight.

RyX and jimjo1031 like this.
  14. jimjo1031

Before I decided to try the one sent to me, I used a pair of needle nose pliers to tweak it a bit. It worked and actually had a good shave from it. Didn't use their blade, but a Lab Blue.

RyX likes this.
  15. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

It's not bent, but there are enough rough edges that it should not be used. The case even has burrs. It came with a little brush, like the kind you'd use to clean an electric razor.

16. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I was able to straighten mine, just like Jim. You could probably smooth the edges down if you wanted to give it away.

17. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

In other news uncle_deng is fighting me on a full refund.first he offered me $2 compensation, then a 50% refund. And now wants me to ship the Nanjie's back, and offered $3 to cover shipping costs

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS, RyX and jimjo1031 like this.
  18. jimjo1031

He did the same to me, so I just requested a refund from Ebay. Got the refund within a few hours.

Linuxguile, RyX and DaltonGang like this.
  19. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I've done this with some sellers who try to worm their way out of refunds. Just stop communications, and have eBay handle it.
    There are some really good sellers out there and issue refunds without a problem. I had a razor arrive, yesterday, it was a rusty crusty one, but had a crack in the blade. It wasn't listed in the photos or descriptions. I was polite and described the issues to the seller, and within 10 minutes, I was notified I had been fully refunded.

AGHisBBS, RyX and jimjo1031 like this.
  20. DanielB

DanielB Member

Nothing worse than an eBay seller with the amount of Feedback he has trying to screw you out of what he surely knows by now eBay entitles you to.

From eBay's policy/help files, in the section on what to do when an item doesn't match the listing description:
    - The cost of return shipping is the seller's responsibility.
    - Either we generate a return shipping label or the seller can provide a label. We add the cost of an eBay-generated label to the seller's monthly eBay invoice.
    - After confirming that the item was returned to the seller, we refund the full cost of the item and original shipping via PayPal. We require the seller to reimburse us for the amount. When the buyer arranges shipping or picks up the item, we may not refund the cost of original shipping or pickup.
    - If the seller chooses to offer the buyer an untracked returns label, the buyer will not be required to provide proof of delivery of the return if eBay is asked to step in and help. The seller will be responsible for the reimbursement amount.

Also, according to info on USPS.com, it's US$13.95 to send a lightweight parcel to China via First-class Package International. If he wants it tracked, that's another $14.95 it'll cost him. Perhaps eBay provides better rates with their own shipping labels, but "$3 to cover shipping costs" is laughable!! As is $2 compensation for you receiving an item you didn't order and don't want.