Kokak's Safety Razor journey...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Kokak, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 1: Fri 6/2 @8PM
    I received my Rockwell 6S today. The packaging was very nice. The box it was in, what I could only describe as a faux leather book, was really a nice touch. The razor and plates were nestled inside nicely. All in all, a very nice presentation.
    Taking the 6S out of the box and inspecting it: the razors finish is also very nice. No marks, scratches or discolorations. The weight is very nice. Considerably heavier than my EJ DE89. The length is just a tad bit longer than the EJ DE89. The razors balance is very good.
    Loaded a new Gillette Silver Blue and plate #3 onto the razor and went to work...

Prep: Stirling Bergamot & Lavender Bath Soap
    Shaving Soap: Stirling Piacenza
    Shaving Bowl: Fine Lather Bowl
    Brush: RazorRock Bruce Handle Plissoft (24 mm x 57 mm)
    Razor: Rockwell 6S (#3)
    Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
    Direction: WTG - XTG - ATG
    Splash: Stirling Piacenza (+Menthol)

This was my first every 3 pass shave, I usually only perform a 2 pass shave (WTG & XTG). I was a little overly cautious on the 3rd pass (ATG). The results were awesome! This was my 1st ever BBS shave. One tiny weeper, on the 2nd pass (neck) but that was my technique, not the performance of the razor.

I should say; That before my shave my wife was questioning me about buying 'another' razor and asking "...just how many razors do you need?" But after my shave, when she touched my face; all she could say was "Wow".

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  2. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 2: Sat 6/3 @7AM
    I think there is only 1 downside to this razor. My shave last night was so good, that I am still smoother than I would normally be right after my morning shave. I usually shave twice a day; Evening after my shower and in the morning before I go off to work. This morning, my face is still baby smooth. So there was nothing to shave.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  3. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 2: Sat 6/3 @10PM
    After my evening shower, I have enough growth to warrant my evening shave. Tonight I will try the next plate number higher, #4, as a comparison to #3.

Razor: Rockwell 6S (#4)
    Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (2)
    Balm: Stirling Piacenza

So another successful 3 pass shave and another BBS shave. No weepers, although my face did feel a little more sensitive this time (afterwards). I am thinking I will dial it down to plate #2 as a final test.

4. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Interesting concept using a journal format. I'll follow along.
    Are you going to shoot for a 30 Day Rule perhaps?

Kokak, Tdmsu and tuxxdk like this.
  5. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

I will be happy to log 30 days, if people find a value in it.

6. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 3: Sun @930PM
    Decided to try Plate #2 this evening.

Shaving Soap: RazoRock xXx
    Razor: Rockwell 6S (#2)
    Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (3)
    Splash: Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill

Good 3 pass shave (WTG, XTG and ATG). Plate #2 is definitely not as efficient as plate #3 or #4 (stating the obvious). But still more so than my EJ DE89. Absolutely; no irritation this shave. So I am thinking that the plate I will use, at least with the Gillette Silver Blue blade, is #3. I will finish out the week using plate #3 and the GSB blade. Then this weekend try plate #3 with an Astra SP blade and see how it compares. I will also rotate through my 3 favorite soaps (xXx, Stirling Piacenza and Tabac), just to see if there is any perceived difference with my setup.

Terry Williams, Tdmsu, dbersh and 3 others like this.
  7. RetLEO-07

What I meant was you should cross post in the 30 Day Rule/Focus thread. You'll get some great feedback, if you're looking to improve your technique.

Kokak likes this.
  8. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Ohhhhh... Well I just may need to do that as well. LOL

9. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

Nice report.

I have to admit I got a chuckle out of "how many razors do you need"

Tiredricefarmer, Kokak and Tdmsu like this.
  10. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

I have been using the 6S for sometime now and I can attest that plate 6 is the smoothest and gives me an effortless BBs.
    Try it and don't be scared by the aggressiveness as it's so efficient and forgiving. I shave every day now to test the razor, although I'm not a daily shaver and realized that even for every day shaving, plate 6 gives me consistently outstanding results, no matter what. I could almost get the same results with plate 4 but not quite, so why bother. No other razor in my den (and I have a few) will shave me every day without any irritation or burns. BTW I use it with feathers and plosilver ir. All shaves were done on blade 6, less one on plate 4.

Kokak, Tdmsu and Rhody like this.
  11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Kokak likes this.
  12. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 4: Mon @800PM
    I was too lazy to go and find where my wife put my Rockwell box, so I just flipped the plate over to #4 this evening.

Razor: Rockwell 6S (#4)
    Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (4)

This was much better than the 1st time I used plate #4. I was being a bit more cautious and took my time. No irritation, but it was less of a close shave this evening. Could be a couple of things: me being more careful. The blade being 4 uses old. Even though tonight is not as close as the last few nights, it's still a great shave.
    I will take @Kypros advice and try working my way up to plate #6. I will use plate #5 on my next shave with a new blade and see how things turn out.

13. MaineYooper

MaineYooper Well-Known Member

Kokak, I recently received the chrome version (6C) of the Rockwell and had the exact same experience with the plates and the Gillette Silver Blue blade! Plate 4 made (which I used first with the GSB) made me think for a moment that this razor and blade combo was too much. Then I remembered I had other plates!! Plate 3 has been great for me with this blade.
    Eric

Kokak likes this.
  14. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

The GSB is very nice in the Rockwell.

Kokak likes this.
  15. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 5: Tue @830PM
    Let the blood letting begin. I was a little to cocky, with 2 BBS shaves under my belt; what could go wrong? Well let me tell you...

Razor: Rockwell 6S (#5)
    Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
    Splash: Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill

So... I was a bit too confident with tonight's shave and did not pay as close attention as I should have. The 1st pass, WTG, went well. Comfortable and without issue. The 2nd pass is where things started to go wrong.
    1st, I was using way too much pressure. 2nd, I was going way to fast. 3rd I was being why too careless. I drew the blade too fast and too heavy under my bottom lip and caused several weepers in the process. Then I added a nice cut, right into the middle of my bottom lip (forgot to roll it in). But wait there is more. Did I stop? No. That would make too much sense. The last pass, ATG, was actually not too bad, I had already mangled myself enough and the shaving gods were happy with my blood sacrifice. So it only added some slight irritation on top of everything else.
    This had nothing to do with the razor. It was all my technique, or lack there of, that caused tonight's little horror show.
    Tomorrow, I will dial it back down to plate #3 and just have a nice, slow, comfortable DFS. Lesson Learned!

16. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

I cannot say I'm the most proficient shaver when it comes to technique, but the 6S feels so comfortable that it seems it cannot cut you. I use it on 6 with feathers or plosilver and although I do also rush, just to show off to myself, I don't remember the last time I got cut or had a weeper.

Kokak and Tdmsu like this.
  17. RetLEO-07

Well, I'll say this, when you screw up, you don't mess around. Too bad you did this now. With a couple of pictures you could have qualified for a Shavey!
    Seriously tho, you have to take your time and concentrate. As you can see, Speed=Blood.
    Relax and enjoy your shaves!

Kokak, MaineYooper and Terry Williams like this.
  18. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

I've been eyeing a Rockwell for awhile now since I've been reading so much hype about them. Is there a baseplate setting that is similar the mild, efficient smoothness of the Pre-War Gillette Tech (triangular holes)? That's my all time favorite DE and I'd love to get a similar version in stainless steel.

Kokak likes this.
  19. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

First to answer you question, it is my impression that base #4 would be pretty close any Gillette Tech that I have used. Possibly, base #3, but the Tech seems a tad rougher. I can't tell much difference between any of the Techs that I own (pre-War, post-War, 60s, 70s). The handle seems to make the most difference to me. They all shave pretty much like my Feather As-D2. I was a bit on the fence when I first got my Rockwell 6S, because it seemed too mild. But, the more that I used it, the more I came to realize that it was much smoother and more efficient than many of my other razors (Maggard, Muhle, Gillette, etc). It is about the smoothest DE razor that I have ever used (I haven't used nearly as many as others on this forum, but I own about 25 razors). I judge by how I feel afterward. If I get a close shave and I have no redness, itchiness, or burn afterward, then I like it. That is exactly what happens for me with the Rockwell and the #3 base. I find that only certain blades in my Techs leave me feeling the same way; some blades are very rough in my Techs. I was using a Feather As-D2 prior to the 6S and the Rockwell has supplanted the Feather as my standard razor. I use the #3 base almost exclusively. It is efficient, yet mild for me. I have tried the #1 & #2 bases and they just don't seem to cut close enough to keep me from having to do a lot of touch up work. But, this razor seems to be very smooth through the #4 base. I have tried #'s 5 & 6 and that is when the razor seems a little rough for me. It is mostly likely my technique, but I don't use those bases unless I have several days growth. I don't have a very dense or wiry beard, so, I don't need a very aggressive razor to get a good shave. I have the 6S and the 6C and I can't really tell the difference between the shaves from either. The 6C is lighter, but shaves just as nicely. I favor the weight of the 6S. So, it is always available on the bathroom counter and the 6C is in my dopp kit for travel. If you don't want to spend as much to try them out, then maybe get the 6C (though, I think both razors are priced very reasonably). You can pre-order the 6C on Indigogo, but I believe they are shipping right now. Today the 6C is about half of the cost of the 6S, but it won't stay that way. It may take as long as month to get the 6C, but it might be a great way to dip your toe into the Rockwell pond without spending gobs of money. You could always sell it if you don't like it. Just a thought.

BTW... the blades that work the best for me in the Rockwell are: Gillette Silver Blue, Astra SP, Croma Diamant, Ladas. Big Ben SS are Ok, too. I gravitate to GSB, Croma and Ladas.

Kokak, MaineYooper, Screwtape and 3 others like this.
  20. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 6: Wed @630PM
    Today was a simple recovery day. I used a less aggressive plate (#3) and really paid attention to my blade angle and pressure.

Prep: Cold Water rinse
    Shaving Soap: Stirling Lime
    Razor: Rockwell 6S (#3)
    Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (2)
    Splash: Stirling Bergamot & Lavender (+Menthol)

Slow and methodical was what this shave was all about. As a result; no blood, no bumps and no razor burn. Not a BBS shave but definitely a DFS. I will use the #3 plate for the rest of the week and really focus on technique and muscle memory.
    This is really becoming an adventure.

Tdmsu and Terry Williams like this.