Just used my Schick Krona- again....

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by theguitarshaver559, Mar 26, 2017.

1. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

The Krona/GSB combo continues its march toward a top spot in my rotation. The GSB is my baseline blade, so I am gonna run a few more thru this fine razor before making any decisions.

Bama Samurai and Jim99 like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

GSB is my benchmark as well. I learned on it.

3. RetLEO-07

:happy088:

Bama Samurai likes this.
  4. RetLEO-07

IMG_0536.JPG
    So, thanks to my fellow Denizens of the 30DC, I now know that I have a 1966 Schick Krona. I :love055: it!

Jim99 and Linuxguile like this.
  5. RetLEO-07

Last day of the Krona/GSB blade audition. The GSB is my baseline blade and it delivered great shaves all week. I'm taking Saturday & Sunday off from shaving, so Monday Shark Super Chrome is up on a two day growth. Then I think I'll follow with either Voskhod or 7 o'clock Green.

6. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hi all, I finally broke out my new Schick Krona. I have been waiting a long time for that shave. It went very well. A two pass DFS/BBS. I am pretty impressed. Although, I am a little disappointed in the build quality of the Krona. I feel the razor lacks substance. It is to light weight. Also seems very flimsy compared to my vintage Gillette's. But it is a good shaver. Thanks guys! Have a great day! ( Happy Fathers Day to all the Fathers out there as well!)

Jim99 likes this.
  7. RetLEO-07

MB, I've been using my '66 for a week so far. And while it's not as heavy feeling as some of my Gillettes I'm getting great shaves. Used GSB's last week and am going to use Shark Super Chrome's starting tomorrow.

Jim99 likes this.
  8. RetLEO-07

Another blade audition. This week, Shark Super Chrome.
    In my Super Speed Black Tip it was a dead heat between the Shark and Voskhod. The Krona looks to be shaping up the same.
    I'm gonna be a winner either way!

Jim99 likes this.
  9. RetLEO-07

As the blade auditions continue, the Krona shines bright. I've made this comparison before, but it bears repeating; it reminds me very much of my '52 Super Speed Black Tip.
    I'm lovin' it!

Jim99 likes this.
  10. LKLive13

LKLive13 Well-Known Member

The krona was a very pleasant shave for me as well. Reminded me of a Super Speed but like others have said it is very lacking in build quality in my opinion compared to Gillette of the time

Jim99 likes this.
  11. EzraCobb

EzraCobb Well-Known Member

The schick krona was the 1st de razor I got a BBS from. For me its the best noob razor to get started. . there not expensive, very forgiving! Something about the head gives the best shaves. i pair it the sharpest blades, polsiver, feather or nacet. i have a silver end, all plastic and the 76 centennial gold
    they all shave the same

Jim99 likes this.
  12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

They somehow survive. I sold all my Gillette TTOs (including with wonky doors and misalignments despite their allegedly superior build quality) and kept the Krona. It shaves better.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

'65 G-Slim likes this.
  13. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I don't see *any* problem with their build quality. I've read they have plastic handles, and I've read they're resin-coated. Whatever they are, they're well-balanced and shave as well (if not better) than a Super Speed.

14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

My Krona I think is far superior in build quality to the Slim Twist which was actually its direct competitor for most of its production period.

Terry Thomas likes this.
  15. '65 G-Slim

As many of those (Twist) I've seen, I just never could bring myself around to buy one. Chintzy comes to mind...

jmudrick likes this.
  16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

A passable shaver at best (with apologies to Paul H), you're not missing anything.

brit and '65 G-Slim like this.
  17. '65 G-Slim

Folks on the 'bay are proud of 'em. They're going for more than a Krona. Think I'll pass.

18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

If life made sense $200 Fatboys would not be a thing.

19. RetLEO-07

Since I have both, I'd put 'em both on an equal footing. So far in my blade auditions they'd be running neck and neck.

20. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Even if my Superspeeds were greater shavers (and they did not impress as such), I much prefer the handling of the K-man.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017