Kokak's Safety Razor journey...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Kokak, Jun 4, 2017.

1. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Now you're getting down to it. "..focus on technique and muscle memory." That's it in a nutshell. Keep the variables to a minimum. Use one blade, brush, soap and in your case, plate. And yes, it is an adventure.

2. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 7: Thu @730AM
    There was a little visible growth this morning. So I decided to have a shave.

Prep: Stirling Spice Bath Soap
    Shaving Soap: RazoRock xXx
    Shaving Bowl: Fine Lather Bowl
    Brush: RazorRock Bruce Handle Plissoft (24 mm x 57 mm)
    Razor: Rockwell 6S (#3)
    Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (3)
    Direction: WTG - XTG - ATG
    Splash: Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill
    Balm: Stirling Piacenza

I was focusing on using my off-hand when shaving the left side of my face. Other than it feeling a little unfamiliar, it all went very well. Very comfortable and smooth shave. I did have a couple of small weepers (left lower throat and right upper lip) but am very happy with he results. Still working on angle and drawing the blade with as lite a touch as possible.
    1 quick note: Stirling soaps seem to be a little slicker than RazoRock xXx. I love both, but have a little smoother shave with less irritation using Stirling Soaps, just my observation (YMMV).

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    Tdmsu likes this.
  3. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 7: Thu @830PM
    Decided to clean up a bit after this evenings shower. Nice, slow and tame.

Prep: Stirling Bay Rum Bath Soap
    Shaving Soap: Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill
    Brush: RazorRock Bruce Handle Plissoft (24 mm x 57 mm)
    Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (4)
    Direction: WTG - ATG

There was just enough stubble to warrant a shave. So only a 2 pass shave tonight. Also tried a sample of the Stirling Bay Rum Bath Soap. While I really like Stirling's soaps, I just didn't care too much for this bath soap.
    The shave was uneventful, which is good. The Glacial Lemon Chill felt really good and was very soothing for my slightly irritated face. Since my face was already frozen, I just applied a post shave balm.

Tdmsu and Kypros Christodoulides like this.
  4. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 8: Fri @700PM
    Got a few new things in, so time to change it up a bit.

Prep: Cold Water Rinse
    Shaving Soap: Cella
    Brush: RazorRock Chubby #506 Handle Extra Silvertip Badger (27.5 mm x 51 mm)
    Blade: Astra SP (1)
    Direction: WTG - XTG - ATG
    Splash: Stirling Bergamot & Lavender (+Menthol)

1st time using Cella. The lather was tremendous! So thick and slick, truly amazing. The Astra SP blade just slipped over my face and the stubble evaporated. Not a BBS shave but a DFS for sure. This was my best feeling shave to date.
    I also used a new Silvertip Badger brush from RazoRock. This had a very different feel from my RazoRock Plissoft Bruce brush. Not bad, just different. Not scratchy , but much stiffer (more backbone). I really felt like it was cleaning my face and not just applying the lather. I think I like it better than my Synthetic. I will just need a few more days of using it to get a real idea of what this brush feels like.

Tdmsu, RetLEO-07 and Terry Williams like this.
  5. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I had the same experience. But, the RR Badger needs some break in time. It will get softer with use. Mine had a bit of funk that took awhile to go away, too. I think it is a pretty good deal for silvertip badger brush, but I'm like you; I like my RR Plissoft brush better. One thing that is true for me about all of my badger brushes is that they seem to create a bit more lather than my synthetics.

Tdmsu and Kokak like this.
  6. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 9: Sat @800AM
    Morning clean up...

Shaving Soap: TOBS Sandalwood (Cream)
    Blade: Astra SP (2)
    Direction: WTG - WTG - WTG

I know I said this before with other Soaps but WOW! TOBS is really, really nice. Lather was great. Slickness was fantastic. After shave feel was awesome! A was so in the moment and things were feeling so good, I did not want to risk any irritation and only shaved WTG all 3 passes this morning (there wasn't much growth anyway).
    The brush also is performing great. I really like the feel of it on my face and I can sense it will just get better with every use.

Tdmsu and Terry Williams like this.
  7. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I love TOBS Jermyn St. and TOBS Avocado. You can't go wrong with TOBS.

8. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 9: Sat @900pm
    Evening clean up and new soap test...

Shaving Soap: RazoRock One X
    Blade: Astra SP (3)
    Direction: WTG - WTG - ATG

So tonight I tried the RazoRock One X Soap and it was great! The Scent was nice. The shave slickness was good. The post shave fell was very nice.
    The biggest change I made, which started last night, was rinsing my razor much more frequently. If I saw any soap building up underneath the razor I would flip to the other side and then when I saw the same on the other side, I would rinse the razor. I could hear much more feedback this way and was completely irritation free after the second pass. I felt so good after the second pass I did an ATG 3rd pass, without any irritation as well! This resulted in a BBS shave without even trying.
    One of the reasons (excuses) I am shaving twice a day now is to break in my new Badger Brush quicker. At least that's what I am telling myself. I have decided; I will not be going back to my synthetic brush. This brush is awesome on my face!

[​IMG]

9. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 10: Sun @930pm
    Evening clean up...

Prep: Bergamot & Lavender Bath Soap
    Shaving Soap: TOBS Sandalwood
    Blade: Astra SP (4)

Just another perfect shave. TOBS is awesome. Fantastic lather, incredible slickness and a post shave feel that is excellent. I had no irritation and a shave that would be classified as DFS. The Silvertip Badger Brush is getting better and better. There is no animal smell and it lathers like a champ!
    I have been so excited about all the new soaps I am using I have forgotten to comment about the Rockwell razor. Lets just say; it's so smooth and trouble free, it is no longer a factor in any problems I have with my shaves.

10. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

That's a great notion as I feel the same. The 6S once mastered is no longer a part of the equation. If you get a bad shave, something else is amiss. Not the razor.

11. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 11: Mon @1230PM
    Afternoon indulgence...

Prep: Warm Water Rinse
    Shaving Soap: Stirling Piacenza
    Blade: Astra SP (5)

Was working from home and noticed a bit of growth, didn't shave this morning, so I decided to treat myself to a shave. What can I say that I haven't said 10 times before?
    Soap = Awesome
    Brush = Incredible
    Razor = A+++
    Splash = Nice finish
    Even with 5 shaves on the Astra SP; it is performing very well.

12. Kypros Christodoulides

I also realized, the blade lasts longer in the 6S than in other DE's.

13. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 12: Tue @3PM
    Another afternoon shave...

Prep: Warm Water Rinse
    Shaving Soap: Cella
    Blade: Astra SP (6)

While Cella is a very good performer (lather, slickness, aftershave feel). I am finding the scent starting to annoy me. Maybe it is just me today (not feeling great). The shave was perfect and I cannot believe how well an Astra SP with 6 shaves on it is still performing. In all honesty, it feels like it is getting better.

Tdmsu and Terry Williams like this.
  14. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 13: Wed @645AM
    After shower shave...

Prep: Stirling Bergamot & Lavender Bath Soap
    Shaving Soap: Tabac
    Blade: Astra SP (7)
    Direction: WTG - XTG - WTG

I really love Tabac! If I could only have 1 soap and it was Tabac, I would have no problem with it. Performs great and I really like the scent.
    This Astra SP blade just keeps on going.

Tdmsu, tuxxdk and Terry Williams like this.
  15. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Yeah, Tabac's where it's at!

16. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 13: Wed @1050PM
    Evening shave...

Prep: Stirling Bergamot & Lavender Bath Soap
    Shaving Soap: Tabac
    Blade: Gillette SB (1)
    Direction: WTG - XTG - WTG

Changed blades, just because it had been a week. I would rather sacrifice a blade that has 1 or 2 more shaves left in it than the comfort of my face. Another fantastic shave.
    The RazoRock Chubby Silvertip Badger is really awesome. I will more than likely PIF the RazoRock Plissoft Bruce brush I have soon as I do not see myself using another brush.
    It's kind of sad... I have found the 1 razor I like and will definitely be using for everyday shaves. I also have found the 1 brush I will be using for every shave. All that is left to discover are soaps. And in my limited experience (13 different soaps), TABAC seems to be the best performer of the lot. With Stirling a close second.

17. Kypros Christodoulides

Trying out new razors is the name of my game. I have the R0ckwell, which is my no,1 by far, but today I shaved with the Gillette new RFB. It was a different experience and well worth skipping using the 6S, even if the shave wasn't as outstanding as it would have been with the Rockwell.

Kokak, Terry Williams and Tdmsu like this.
  18. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I could not agree more - Tabac Never Fails

19. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

Keep it going Kokak, I'm really enjoying reading your journey! Plus you are giving some really good info on the soaps. I'm pretty much a Stirling guy although I have XXX and some sample pucks of Love My Skin which I really like but LMS while VERY slick just doesn't have the cushion that Stirling has. You have me wanting to try TOBS and Tabac now!

Kokak likes this.
  20. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Both are outstanding performers. Of the 2, if you're not planning on getting both at the same time, I would say get TABAC. There is a reason everyone who has shaved with it sings it's praises.