Blade Reviews Thread - read the rules before posting

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BaylorGator, Apr 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I am using a PAL to see how many shavrs I can get. After that I will do the same with a stainless. I can tell from experience that the carbon steel blades are smoother for me out of the box. I also do not mind having to dry them after use. Most tools need some cleaning before you put them away.
    I am also going to see if there is a difference in blade life between a treet,PAL, and something like a walgreens blade. This will all take awhile.

Keithmax likes this.
  2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Your my hero right now. Keep at it!!

LevelupShaves likes this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Generic Personna, like at CVS or Walgreens is a fine choice... But the package makes people assume its generic trash. The blade is an alternatively packaged "Israeli Red", and is as good as anything out there.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  4. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Hello to all! Great thread - I'm enjoying all the discussion...and doing a bit of learning! I'm a new member, and I'm also new to wet shaving (into it for only about a month). While I certainly am unqualified to evaluate blades, I thought I'd make yet another post for any other newbies that wander into this thread. Please - Listen to some of the other members here! @BaylorGator says it best in post #5 - read it and follow it. I also went with the advice of getting a sampler pack. Guess what? Every razor blade can shave hair. Every razor blade can also cut, nick, and irritate your face. I am JUST NOW starting to "get into the groove" and get better technique (yeah...I'm a slow learner sometimes). Since I've started shaving, I've only used cartridge razors (dabbled a little with electric). Using a DE razor is not like using a cartridge. And, the muscle memory of using a cartridge remains...which as a new convert to wet shaving, must be broken. When these veteran shavers say "use no pressure" - it means USE NO PRESSURE! I thought initially that I wasn't, but it turns out that I was. If you're a newbie as well, stick with one razor, one type of blade and work on your technique. Don't confuse yourself with too many variables. And don't focus on the whole BBS shave experience (I'm guilty here as well!). When you start getting your technique down, eventually you'll have an "AH-HA! moment" - I know I did. I'm finally starting to have shaves where I'm not reaching for the styptic pencil, and where I'm pleased with the results. It's so easy to spend time online researching shaving, and shaving gear, and making things difficult on yourself (also guilty here too). After all, it's just shaving. Don't complicate it.

Keep the discussion going fellas! I'm here to learn!

BaylorGator likes this.
  5. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

So revival time on this thread if I may present to the forum my review of the Shark Super Stainless blades I've been using these blades almost exclusively for a month and I'm a huge fan.
    These blades are right at the sweet center of smooth and sharp. They aren't as efficient as something like a Feather or Persona Blue but it certainly glides across the hair. I have fairly thick whiskers and this blade cuts through it all in 3 passes no problem.
    As for longevity this is in my opinion a 3 and done blade for sure you can definitely feel the edge going away by the fourth use if not the third. At $11 per 100 these are a great buy though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FaceScraper and BaylorGator like this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Some how I missed a few post here. My local Winn Dixie carries these blades. Not so expensive and seem to be a good blade.

Another post I miss. A big thumbs up and BULLY!!! To you Sir. Keep at it!!!

Nice review. Thanks!

FaceScraper likes this.
  7. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

I have to say, so far I like the Shark Super Stainless. I'm still learning my technique, but with these blades, I've gotten the best shaves since I switched to DE razors. I actually started making notes with each shave when I began using these. In my notes I mentioned that either my technique is getting much better, or these blades are fairly forgiving. The first three shaves were fantastic. No cuts, nicks, or weepers (actually one tiny weeper on the 2nd shave - my fault) even with three passes. And the closest shaves I've gotten this far! The fourth shave, um, yeah. It was still a close shave, but it took a little more effort. I have to agree with you. Three and done.

8. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

In my opinion, the Israeli Personna blades are just as sharp as Lab Blues, but much smoother.

Bama Samurai and LevelupShaves like this.
  9. Bama Samurai

Shark SS is superb in a Shavette.

FaceScraper likes this.
  10. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I was just wondering, has anyone tried Bic Chrome Platinum blades? I've noticed that people who like them say they are very smooth. I'd like to know the experiences of people here who have used them.

Linuxguile likes this.
  11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Word!!

Bama Samurai likes this.
  12. LevelupShaves

I might try them next I'm on a blade focus for the next couple of weeks I just finished Vokshod and started with Astra's Monday or Tuesday I'll try out the Bic

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

jimjo1031 likes this.
  13. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I have a hundred or so, and they're among my top choices. On par with the current Gillette Platinums IMO.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  14. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I really liked my gillette platnium plus but never hear anyone reccomend them. Is it because of cost or is there another reason?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

15. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

IDK...they're good blades and not that costly.

Stu929 likes this.
  16. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

I'm like LevelupShaves in that I've tried a couple sample packs. However, I truly feel with learning technique on the go I have found my go to blade. My top 2 were Feather and 7 o'clock yellows. Feathers are my top being sharp and smooth, I can get a DFS to BBS in 2-3 passes with my SS adjustable set between 1-3 but after 2 shaves they start to feel a bit rough for me. The yellows are less expensive, smooth, comfortable, and sharp. With a good slick lather the yellows just glide with little to no irritation even when buffing. I just finished my 3rd 3 pass shave on one blade with a stetting of 3 and it may be my best shave yet. Will push for a 4th tomorrow. I truly know what BBS feels like now. The yellows are my go to blade, I just bought 200 of them for $24.98 free ship so I've put my $ where my mouth is. Hope this was all within the rules, lol.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    BaylorGator and Bama Samurai like this.
  17. LevelupShaves

Just had my first shave with this blade and quite frankly it was awesome. I really gave it a good test too I've had an infection in my throat since Friday so today is my first shave since Thursday and I have thick facial hair too. This blade went through it on pass one with no tugging or pulling at all it's plenty sharp and quite smooth. I'm going to shave with a couple more times to draw a full verdict but I may be buying a pack in the near future. At 20 cents a blade or $10 for a pack of 50 these are definitely worth picking up.

18. LevelupShaves

Also wanted to add last week I used both Voskhod and Astra blades both are incredibly affordable at around 10-15 cents a blade and both are decent performers. I found the Astra to be smoother but the Voskhod to be sharper. I would also say that because of the coating on the Voskhod it really doesn't clog up at all soap just rinses right off no matter how much I let build up on it. Looks like the teflon coating isn't just a gimmick. Either of these blades are very middle of the road as far as blades go not super sharp like a Feather or Personna Blue and not as smooth as a Bic chrome Platinum or Shark. I think they are definitely with the price but probably won't be a staple in my den personally.

BaylorGator and jimjo1031 like this.
  19. LevelupShaves

First impressions on Derby
    It's really not as bad as a lot of people say it is, however it's not great either. It's a very smooth blade which is nice but it's not terribly sharp at all. It takes a little more work using a blade like this to get through facial hair like mine. I believe this would be a great buy for someone with finer facial hair and sensitive skin. For anyone who gets a five o'clock shadow by five o'clock or has thick full facial hair (me) this blade is not recommended.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

BaylorGator likes this.
  20. Bama Samurai

Those with thicker growth will absolutely need an aggressive head like Fatip or Muhle. This blade requires gap and exposure for maximum performance and minimal irritation. On the bright side, Derby is a long lasting blade. I've put 27 shaves on one in a Fatip. Derby is not a viable option for newbies because of the advice to try mild razors first. In a mild razor, a newbie won't feel the bevel and will apply pressure. This is why Derby gets bad reviews. It is a very serviceable blade in the hands of those who have good technique. However, it's dull and smooth enough to fool new converts. It's good I a shavette too.

BaylorGator likes this.