Maybe carts arent so bad?

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by Badgerstate, May 4, 2017.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The difference to me is that with a cart razor you lose the connection with the pass and the relaxation you get from a Traditional wet shave. The destination is the same. A smooth face. The journey is not the same. Kind of like do you want to always run the interstate or get off on the back roads and enjoy the drive. I am not sure that a cart shave can be as enjoyable as the safety razor shave. I do not remember how a cart shave feels,. I have used safety razors or open blades for the last 10 years plus. Have not used a cart at all. I just know I would hate to have to go back to them.

David W650 likes this.
  2. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

It's somewhat odd that those who bash carts for being too expensive are the same guys who spend $50+ on pot metal razors, race to buy the latest "inovation" razor at $100+, and have a drawer full of blades that cost anywhere from $10/100 to whatever the market will pay. Strange economics, no?

gorgo2 likes this.
  3. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I think that it's a question of being economical but also wanting to enjoy your hobby. Being frugal doesn't necessarily mean not spending any money, it can also mean spending money wisely. To some, buying 500 blades at 10 cents each is a sizeable initial investment but it yields a greater return. People are also willing to pay what they feel a product is worth and I think that it's clear that Gillette has an enormous markup on their replacement cartridges, so it's not worth it compared to the other gear that hobbyists are buying.

Pricy pot metal razors cost that much because they don't have an economy of scale and they are the main source of revenue for the manufacturers rather than blades, as was Gillette's model when they were still selling safety razors. Given all of this, I don't think it's contradictory to spend a lot of money on shaving equipment and yet feel that carts are too expensive. Lots of people feel the same way about MdC and I've even seen some people accuse Proraso of being too expensive when it's under $10 for 5 oz versus the $16 for the 4 oz artisan soaps that they're buying.

4. brit

brit in a box

spent a good chunk of cash on de shaving the last few months to try different razors etc.will keep what i like,sell/give away what i don t like.will be cheaper in the long run.my investment will last for years.carts are ok but are an ongoing expense and aren t resellable once used.,but i have only bought vintage stuff.others buy cars and other collectables.all good.i know i will get my money back if i sell all my razors.

Demidog likes this.
  5. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Original Gillette Atra handles are far more (on EBay) currently than I ever paid, not counting inflation. Since Trac II versions are easier to find, they command lower prices.

brit likes this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

historical razor in its own right.started shaving with atra and trac 2.may even find a handle in future.are blades still available?

7. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Yes, but the high quality ones are getting harder to find, unfortunately. The Shaveocalypse hits them first

8. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I'll admit, I rediscovered TWS while surfing the web looking for a less expensive way to buy my Mach 3 refills...
    But after discoving that DEs and Injectors could still be aquired, I wasted no time acquiring. Then the pleasure of shaving became a new experience again.

While I agree, that SE and Injector shaving has improved my quality of of life, that is not the only thing here to be considered. I was traveling internationally and ended up in a situation where I had to pick up a cartridge razor to shave with. After a veritable tug-fest, I went back to a pharmacy and picked up several of Gillettes finest to try and find something to finish my shave with.....End result, for me....I've been spoiled...If I had to go back to these, I would grow a beard!!

Disclaimer.....of course you cart diehards may find YMMV! :rofl:

Demidog likes this.
  9. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Umm ... didn't you just sum up opinions on everything? Just have a look at a Feather blades thread. Or tallow versus veggie soaps. YMMV does not cover cartridge razors only.

Bird Lives likes this.
  10. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

I had used so many different types of carts and I have rarely gotten a good shave out of any. The Mach 3 did do better than most. But the stubble would return in 3-4 hours. So once I was good with a straight I've never went back.

Demidog likes this.
  11. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

Badgerstate:
    You are right. Shaving with a cartridge razor is perfectly fine. It is NOT some kind of transgression.
    I always find it interesting when an online community circles the wagons around their pet preferences and begins to demonize the alternatives.
    When we start to "dislike" the methods and tools of others, and turn every discussion into "us versus them".

Fact is - most ANY available shaving system can be used to achieve a GREAT SHAVE- given enough skill and effort.

I got into the older systems (DE & SR) because I got tired of shelling out $$ for the latest systems from Gillette ("the best a man can get").
    But you can spend plenty of money on every system out there, whether you are buying vintage equipment, or leading edge new products.

The thing that has been so gratifying to me, is the transition of shaving from a daily chore - into a hobby.
    That happened for me on "The Shave Den."
    And THIS forum is a community of very supportive shave hobbyists - with good advice, but very little judgmental attitude.

Keep the fun in shaving, and share it with the rest of us.
    Thanks.

12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

+1

Well stated. Praise God and pass the Barbasol!

AGHisBBS and EnglishChannel like this.
  13. Hoss304

Hoss304 Well-Known Member

Same here . Also I can proudly say I've used a single mach 3 cart for months before . After the shave strop it on denim . It eventually got replaced but you can easily get your money's worth out of them . I'm fairly new to DE but cart is the way to go for head shaves . I've tried DE on the dome. To me it's just maintenance shaving the dome . Quickest and easiest is a cart .

Keithmax likes this.
  14. Hoss304

Hoss304 Well-Known Member

I did my subscriptions before coming to the DE side of the tracks. I first went to DSC . Got the middle tier one and the shave butter along with all the other crap they sell to suckers like me . My honest opinion is ... Compared to Gillette the DSC (dorco) blades are junk . It was the one and only cart to ever give me razor burn on my head . I stuck with them for a few months . I saw a ad on FB for DEFENDER razor. It looked great . Wide open space between the 3 blades , even comes with a fancy suction cup to hang it on the mirror . My first shave out of the box was head and face . It was strange . It feels like you are dragging a Lego across your skin but it gives one excellent shave . I only recently cancelled my subscription because I have so many refills piled away . I would definitely suggest it over DSC . The Defender is well worth it if you just want a good quick anti clog shave .

steve207 and Keithmax like this.
  15. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

If it helps, up until recently, I had ONE razor that I had gotten from my grandfather in 1985? 86? I don't remember anymore. It was a Black Handled Super Speed. That was my main razor for the better part of 30 years. One razor. I used what blades I could get locally - Schick, Personna (good ones), Personna (dollar store), Store brand (Eckerd/CVS/Walgreens). I'd say that in 28 years, I'd spent about $60 or so a year in shaving supplies. At most. I've used Barbasol foam, Gillette foam, Gillette canned gel, miscellaneous other foams, ended up liking shaving gel in a tube (no pressurizing), and eventually just gave up and settled on the soap in the shower. I've gone through one and a half styptic pencils (mostly because they drop, break, and it's a pain using half of one when they get skinny).

Right now, I've been going through some buying sprees, but the bulk of the razors will be going back out again to others, now that they're clean and tested, and I'm deciding what I'm keeping. The last five years or so have been an absolutely amazing amount of change, even online. Ten years ago, when I first looked around at what was online in the way of shaving groups - it was still difficult to find _anything_ worth a hoot in the way of blades. (for me).

Now? You type in 'double edge razor blades' in any search engine, and the possibilities seem endless, compared to 2001, when I was shaving using a large Corelle bowl heated in the microwave at my office.

So, many folks are saving a lot of money. They're probably mostly the people that don't contribute to forums like this :) Their RAD is satisfied, so they have no need to look for assistance. :p

AGHisBBS and Keithmax like this.
  16. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

But not even 15 years ago, I could easily buy DE blades in a local supermarket. Nowadays there is just one brand ... if I am lucky.

Yes, indeed I wish that traditional wet shaving was still a "man in the street" thing here in Europe. Instead it has turned into a "hobby" with supplies mostly coming from online specialty shops.

I have been wet shaving for close to 35 years, so I remember how it was around here. Schick even had a razor blades factory here.

Edit: personally I am not into high end soaps and creams (or even brushes). I would be overjoyed having a decent drugstore selection again, without having to go to Germany (nothing wrong with that, only a bit far from where I live now). Bring back Sanders, 't Melkmeisje, and Klaverblad shaving soaps on the shelves!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    Keithmax likes this.
  17. David W650

David W650 Active Member

Carts work for me as long as they don't have more than two blades.

A local supermarket sell a 10/pack of generic two blade carts for two dollars. After getting and Astra and Trac II handle on EBay I gave them a try.
    I was quite happy with the shave. Very easy to use and the result was a DFS. I do think the shave and results were helped by using a brush and a shave soap.
    My only reservations on using carts all the time is it would make shaving boring and I would shave much faster which would lead to nicks, cuts and irritated skin.

Keithmax, Demidog and Bird Lives like this.
  18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Atra, Gillette's refined Trac II. I like it.
    Atra_x4_08.JPG

19. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

I don't understand the reluctance of Gillette and Schick to once again produce competitive DE and SE razors. I have decided that my Mach 3 is best for my particular situation but I do have several vintage and a couple of modern (Zamak trash) razors, using them is more a nuisance than satisfying to me but I still would like to see a rebirth of a once great US industry. I think there are enough users to make it profitable now and many more would come on board if the availibility and price were right.

Bird Lives likes this.
  20. David W650

David W650 Active Member

The Atra was nice but it just felt a little uncomfortable in my hand.

As for the Trac II it was just right in comfort, control and handling.

gorgo2 likes this.