How long to wait ...Newbie & Feather blade

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Hoss304, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Hoss304

Hoss304 Well-Known Member

I was around on the FB groups for a while before joining this forum . Guys preach don't try feather until your more experienced . I don't quite understand this theory. I went from a Derby extra to Feather . I didn't cut my face off or anything . I just found it to be a 2 pass instead of 3 pass shave . Did anyone else experience the don't use sharp blades to shave with as a newbie ? I used a feather within my first 10 DE shaves against the advice of several .

Tiredricefarmer likes this.
  2. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I might have read something like that before, but I tried 'em anyway. They're a bit harsh for my liking. If you're technique's good, and it sounds like it is since you didn't slit your throat, no worries.

gorgo2 likes this.
  3. Hoss304

Hoss304 Well-Known Member

I just found it weird that people tell you don't shave with a sharp blade lol. I heard it so much I was kind of iffy about using it.

gorgo2 likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've been tryin' to bust line of thinking for a long time.
    All blades are sharp, that's why we buy 'em. All blades will cut you if you have sloppy technique or get careless. Doesn't matter what brand it is.

gorgo2, RetLEO-07 and dustmite like this.
  5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

If you like the Feather blades, the KAI are pretty good too.

About the only reason to give them a pass is the price.

gorgo2 and stingraysrock like this.
  6. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I learned to wet shave with Feathers.

I didn't know I wasn't supposed to. I just knew they were supposed to be a good blade and their higher price made me think they must be a good choice.

It certainly helped keep my attention while learning; and today if you told me I could only have one brand of blades in my arsenal I'd choose Feather.

I also learned with a Parker brand razor and then found out those used to have a reputation for quality control issues. I still like my original Parker and I bought one of their new adjustables.

All of that being said, I do have to confess that I also took my motorcycle endorsement test on a full size touring bike (GoldWing); which most people would say wasn't the smartest thing to do.

I'm not always out on the edge (I learned to swim at the shallow end of the pool) but if you're careful you can start with any blade you want to. After all, our great grand daddy's started with straight razors.

gorgo2 and RyX like this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Feather blades are sharp, and so are Derby blades. Many Gents use Feather blades right from the start.

gorgo2 likes this.
  8. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Amen deacon!

9. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

THe thing is, Sometimes a new shaver makes some really bad mistakes. E.G. I read of one teenager who forgot to put the baseplate back in when he re-assembled his 3-pc. His father said he looked like a peeled orange. A milder blade minimizes the damage in cases like that. If your technique is halfway decent (sounds like yours is.), then going to a Feather can point out the finer points of technique.

MR41, gorgo2 and John Beeman like this.
  10. jar

jar Well-Known Member

If I'm gonna get cut I want it done by a sharp edge, not a serrated TV "But Wait!!!..." knife. Clean cuts heal quickly.

RyX likes this.
  11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I don't believe there is such a thing as a mild or forgiving blade. Like I said, all blades will cut you if you have poor technique, get sloppy, or get careless. You gotta pay attention at all times when a sharp piece of steel is up against your face.

I do believe blades can be smooth or rough.

12. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    My first DE shave - Feather. That is all I ever use.

gorgo2 likes this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Not to disrupt the thread but may I ask why? Those things always catch my eye when I'm on the interstate. Although I've never ridden a motorcycle in my life and probably won't, I always think what if...someday...I had the money and...

PanChango likes this.
  14. John Beeman

Why did I take the endorsement test on a large heavy bike that's hard to do a figure 8 with?
    --I waited until the last minute to take the test and I didn't know anybody who had a smaller bike I could borrow. I did have to put one foot down in the middle of one of the required slow speed maneuvers but I still passed.

or

Why own a GoldWing?
    --I had a 500cc bike several years ago and always said if I ever got another bike I wanted one that was very quiet (so I can play music and hear it), very comfortable (so I could ride all day if I had the time), was very visible (for safety reasons), had cruise control, had a full fairing (bugs and other objects hurt a lot when they smack you), had enough weight and power to handle traffic conditions adequately (large trucks and high winds), had plenty of storage for luggage and whatnot, and was easy on a passenger. The Honda fit the bill and I got one loaded with accessories at a great price.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    PanChango and gorgo2 like this.
  15. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Wow, I couldn't imagine taking my practical exam on a hondaminium. They are nice and comfortable on the highway, but definitely not my first choice for the exam. I went through the safety course so they plopped me on a 250 Rebel if I remember correctly.

John Beeman and gorgo2 like this.
  16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I might frame that and put in on my wall. BULLY!!!

PanChango and swarden43 like this.
  17. John Beeman

That's what I should have done too. Something light and very maneuverable.

PanChango likes this.
  18. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I started DE shaving using only Feather blades. Learn and use good technique, and you'll be fine.

John Beeman likes this.
  19. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Let'er rip man!! You can judge how you need to adjust for a different blade in the first stroke or two.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017