Four New Razors!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BamaT, Jun 17, 2017.

1. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

IMG_1419.JPG IMG_1420.JPG
    We went to the Smoky Mountains on vacation last week. We stopped in a little antique shop in Maryville, TN where I bought my first Superspeed restoration project. I found these four, all in excellent condition - a Gem Micromatic, Slim adjustable, ball end Tech, and a Schick injector. A basic cleaning and disinfection is all that will be needed. The Gillettes and Schick are really like new. Picked up all 4 for $50. I was looking in particular for a Tech and Injector, and found the mother lode!

2. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Nice score! They all seem like they're in good condition. Post the pics again when you get 'em all shined up!

BamaT likes this.
  3. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

That won't take much! The Tech in particular looks like it came right out of the package. No tarnish whatsoever on the Gillettes and Schick. The Gem will need a little polishing but not a lot.

FaceScraper likes this.
  4. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to use on the Gem? For the others, I'll probably just use green Scrubbing Bubbles and a little brushing with an old tooth brush. Might use just a little Semi-Chrome on them to polish them up.

Bama Samurai and twhite like this.
  5. FaceScraper

I noticed how nice the Tech looks! Amazing shape! The Schick looks sweet as well! Any idea what the years of the razors are yet?

BamaT likes this.
  6. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Use the Scrubbing Bubbles on it also. I clean all of my non gold and silver plated razors with it.
    That Gem MMOC is a tank. Virtually indestructible. Also a great aggressive shave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BamaT and Jim99 like this.
  7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Fantastic finds! They all look to be in wonderful condition. Congrats.

BamaT and twhite like this.
  8. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

I find these black paint oil based sharpies and a soft cloth good for repainting the numbers on the Slim and Fatboy razors.
    Oil Sharpie.JPG

9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Pretty cool. Nice haul.

BamaT likes this.
  10. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I use the same thing. They work great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BamaT and Misphit like this.
  11. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

The date code on the Tech is K 2, and the Slim is H 2. I know these codes were used in 1962 and 1965 and were repeated, but I'm not sure how to further narrow down their dates.

The Schick has patent numbers 1806087 and 1969945; it has an amber handle with a seam, round spring, and came with a gold and red cardboard box. It would appear, based on my research, this may be an E2, dated between 1935 - 1945.

I'm not sure how to date the Gem.

FaceScraper likes this.
  12. FaceScraper

The Schick is much older than what I would've guessed, given the excellent shape it's in. You made out very well with this haul...four nice razors for a decent price! Which razor are you "test driving" today??

BamaT likes this.
  13. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I haven't taken any for a test drive yet, but will soon. Probably will pick the Tech or Schick injector when I do.

FaceScraper likes this.
  14. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

@BamaT very nicely done!
    Enjoy the shaves!!

BamaT likes this.
  15. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I decided the Schick would be first up for a shave, so I disinfected it this morning, put in a new Schick blade, and shaved around mid-day, since I had the day off. Used a local artisan bay rum soap, and face lathered as usual. Wow. Wow. Just wow! What a shave! it was incredibly easy and close. I'll use it for several days, and see if my initial opinion holds up. If it does, I will most assuredly be in the hunt for more Schick injectors. I loved it!

wchnu and FaceScraper like this.
  16. FaceScraper

Awesome!! I'll be interested in reading your follow up reports! I hope they aren't favorable. I don't need more temptation!

Kidding, of course. Glad you're enjoying the first of your finds!

BamaT likes this.
  17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The Schick is a later model E I think. The earlier models opened for cleaning. Not sure what year they changed the spring. They will remind you what no pressure means but give a great shave. Bully!!!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    BamaT likes this.
  18. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Good score. That Schick is a gem.

BamaT likes this.
  19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

No the micromatic is a Gem.....:cool:

BamaT likes this.
  20. LKLive13

LKLive13 Well-Known Member