A OneBlade Razor For $50?!?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by mantic, May 28, 2017.

1. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

I'm really surprised at the success of the one blade overall. I never expected a razor that uses blades designed for one shave to be so popular. I still won't be trying either version though. I'm just not going to spend that much on a razor made in China. I would much rather buy from a company that keeps it's production in the US.

clint64 and McHale like this.
  2. Dragonsbeard

Dragonsbeard Member

Got mine yesterday. The description most are saying holds true, the handle is heavy but the head is light so not perfectly balanced IMO. I had about 3 days growth. So I went for it. Used the Feathers that came with it. Stirling Iced Pineapple soap mixed with some TOBS coconut..Going tropical LOL.. Anyway I wanted to see what it would take to get me a BBS result. Got a great lather out of my combo and had a thick creamy coating. That was my first mistake but didn't know it until I started shaving because it seemed like all I was doing was removing the cream and very little hair so I applied more pressure than the instructions call for. So the first WTG pass was a learning experience and there was quite a bit of hair left. I was thinking to myself is this because of the thick layer of soap I laid down or is it this razor way to mild? Next pass I just put down a very thin coating and began the first XTG and It felt better as it was finally removing some hair off. Next pass was XTG the other way and things are looking up. I did notice that the Feathers didn't seem as sharp as I expected they'd be. Last pass was ATG and I ended up with what I would say was between a very good DFS and a entry level BBS shave. So 4 passes and even some slight touch ups after that on my trouble spots to achieve the final results. What I did like is I got no irritation at all. ( I have a tough beard but kind of sensitive skin. I also felt that I'd have to try really hard to cut myself with the Core. The shave was not as close as the shave I had a few days before using my Timeless razor 95 gap using a Kai titian blade which resulted in a very solid BBS shave with just 3 passes.
    I used to race cars and there are cars that just have souls. They demand your complete attention, focus and good driving skills unlike most daily drivers that get your butt from point A to B in a relaxed comfy sort of mindless way. Well I liken shaving with the Core to a daily driver. It requires very little attention and like I said I felt like I couldn't cut myself. It also lacks the soul that many of my DE and SE razors have so for me it's like the daily driver. Up till today my Colonial General needed the least amount of focus out of all my razors until but this Core almost needs next to none in my opinion. Just don't mix your shave soap or cream to thick and put some pressure on the razor and away you go. I'd like to know how it compares to the SS model if someone who owns both could compare them.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    ninjack, Keithmax, Boojum1 and 2 others like this.
  3. mantic

mantic U TOOB

The Genesis is heavier and better balanced (IMO), has less blade feedback (again IMO), and is much more of a "luxury" experience. Using your car analogy I think Core is a Buick and Genesis is a Lexus.

4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Do you find the Genesis more efficient?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. mantic

mantic U TOOB

More efficient than Core? A little, yes (IMO).

6. Dragonsbeard

Dragonsbeard Member

Just talking SE razors how would you say the SS version compares to the Colonial General? I have the brass version.

7. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Quick update.

Used the CORE for the 2nd time today and closer shave this morning with the following setup: Vitos preshave, Panama 1924, Korn D7-XLT with Romera Manchurian, CORE with Feather blade and finished off with MdC Huile Végétale Camomille and Floid Blue. Again a 2 pass, near BBS shave, with one touch up spot under L side of chin, usual trouble spot. As Manic States, comparing this to the GENESIS is like Lexus to Buick. Off the top of my head I would say I get a closer, smoother shave with the CORE than my Flair Tip, Bostonian, Slim, Jagger, 34HD, New Long Comb, Rockwell 6S, Black Hawk, Moongoose B2, El Jefe, Rocnel SE50. Again what works for my skin and beard time and possibly shave prep may not work for someone else.

Also this morning have sister & brother-in-law visiting for two days and let Dave try out the CORE this morning . Right off the bat I noticed he was using a wrong angle with the CORE. He was coming in too flat against the face like he was using a Shovelhead or Damaskeene. Removing soap with long gaps of soap like a streak and very little beard being removed. Stopped him and had him adjust his angle down a bit and told him to let the razor glide, don't push down and let the shave head flex. He did better on the next pass and getting the hang of it with his XTG and ATG passes. He uses a 34HD and Jagger as his two razors and stated he needed to adjust to the lighter weight, but he liked the flex head and stated he felt he could shave without drawing blood and might consider buying one but he is a tightwad so Idont expect him to spend the money not so much on the razor but on buying blades.

8. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I used my Core for the first time this morning. It took one less-than-effective pass to get the hang of the angle. First thing I noticed is that there is quite a bit of feedback when you're holding the angle correctly, otherwise it gets quiet. That's the key IMO. Second, because of the very light head I found holding it near the end of the handle worked best for me. Third, I noticed that the plastic handle can get quite slippery if soap gets on it. Because my first pass was for the short learning curve I had touchups after the 3rd pass. It is mild, but not overly so. I don't think you could nick yourself, at least not easily. I ended up with a 3+ pass BBS. I think I like this thing.
    [​IMG]
    Herm

9. mantic

mantic U TOOB

I just posted a video interview with the OneBlade CEO about Core and other company projects on Sharpologist. Post includes a tl;dw summary for those who don't want to watch for 20 minutes. :)

ninjack and clint64 like this.
  10. captnronfl

captnronfl Well-Known Member

mantic I could not find it.
    Could you point me in the right direction?
    Thanks

clint64 likes this.
  11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Keithmax likes this.
  12. captnronfl

Thanks Clint
    Ron

13. captnronfl

Has anyone bought the complete Core set?
    I am wondering what the thought are on the brush.
    Thanks Ron

14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Um, the Core is manufactured in the US -- Vista California-- by these guys.

http://www.dpi-tech.com

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

clint64 and Herm2502 like this.
  15. captnronfl

Listening to the video only the Genesis is handmade in China
    The Core is machine made here in the USA.

clint64 likes this.
  16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I picked up on the Core being US made. I am pleasantly surprised by that revelation.

ninjack likes this.
  17. jwr3265

jwr3265 Well-Known Member

I really wanted to like the Core. Alas, after 2 shaves, both with a fresh Feather, I am sending this back.

I took great care with the angle, modifying it based on some of the posts here. After 3 passes, it was if I'd only done 1 pass. Not efficient enough, to say the least. I ended up going the fourth pass with my vintage Merkur travel slant and a twice used Astra SP. BBS from there...

This is a well designed tool, but I feel it would only work with 6 passes on a guy/gal with a light beard. I feel bad for the Mfg...

Keithmax likes this.
  18. captnronfl

Yep
    I'm not doing well with mine either though I hold out hope as some have gotten great shaves

Keithmax likes this.
  19. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I've used my Core for three shaves now and it's just fine, but it's very mild. I think it's all about the angle as described in the flyer that comes with the razor. But they're right (the manufacturer), you're not going to get many shaves out of each blade (they recommend one). I've done these three shaves with the same blade and today was a little struggle because the blade was "dying". The other thing I noticed is that a heavy, thick lather will clog it up. Frequent rinsing it's required. I had a BBS day one and a nice DFS the last two days. I like the fact that it's seems nearly impossible to nick yourself.

Herm

Keithmax and clint64 like this.
  20. captnronfl

Well I see some getting good shaves and some not with me being in the not.
    I did shave last night with it.
    Four passes and still had to use hand soap and razor to clean up
    Not happy with it.

jwr3265 and Keithmax like this.