Clone Questions

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MurerenDK, Jun 17, 2017.

1. MurerenDK

MurerenDK New Member

Hello boys and girls ..
    In a Danish Shaver group on facebook, we talk about clones. Do you know other clones than Mercur Futur, we can only find Mercur Futur that has been cloned, but do you know if there are others that have also been cloned ?? :-D

- MurerenDK

RyX and tuxxdk like this.
  2. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Nice to see another member from our FB group here.

There's the Weishi which is a clone of the SuperSpeed.

3. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Hong Long's are cheap SuperSpeed clones. Rimei is a chinese copy of the gillette tech, basically. The various Indian razors are also clones of various Gillette's, with variations. Really, there are only so many ways to make a holder for a standard DE or SE blade.

4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

From what I've seen, for the price and quality, the Merkur Futur clones cannot be beat. Those would be the Ming Shi S2000, and the QShave. I have both, although they are for the wife.

5. MurerenDK

MurerenDK New Member

I have the clone of futur from Ming shi .. Delicious and amazing clone, it's actually become my No. 1 :-P

Sendt fra min SM-G920F med Tapatalk

RyX likes this.
  6. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

ISTR that someone managed to find a single Progress clone on Alibaba (though not on AliExpress).

Then there are, of course, the various Soviet-era clones of the Gillette Adjustables.

MurerenDK likes this.
  7. MurerenDK

MurerenDK New Member

I'm sure there are many clones, they're out there somewhere .. But where ;-)

8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    MTO is a SS clone.

MurerenDK likes this.
  9. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

10. Nate.H01

Nate.H01 Member

I've also seen an old Leningrad that was made in USSR and looks remarkably similar to the 34c.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

11. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

On the right a British Rocket and on the left the Russian Volga.

Rocket-Volga (1).jpg Rocket-Volga (2).jpg

AGHisBBS, gorgo2, DaltonGang and 2 others like this.
  12. Bookworm

I think you have that backwards. The one on the _left_ has a Gillette logo, and "Made In England"

gorgo2 likes this.
  13. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Quick, let me reverse the photo so I am right, not you. :angry017:

Thanks for correcting me.:eatdrink047:

gorgo2 likes this.
  14. Bookworm

Welcome - I'm used to it. Married with an 8 year old. "which hand is your left?"

gorgo2 likes this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

That Volga looks interesting. If it's yours how's the shave?

16. Bookworm

If it shaves decently, I might start hunting for one.

17. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

The Volga is indeed mine and it isn't a bad little shaver. It is a little wider and lighter than the Gillette rocket that it was sitting next to, but the shave was decent.

If you like Russian razors from the Soviet era it is worth having in your gear. Just be careful with what you find. The Volga is a TTO razor, not a three piece. As you can see I grabbed what I thought was a Volga in the last few minutes of an auction and ended up with a three piece in a Volga box when I received it from overseas. The Three piece I am still trying to identify but it was the razor offered in the picture. Learning curves are fun.....

Volgas (1).jpg Volgas (2).jpg

18. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

The Russian adjustables are a cross between the Gillete Fatboy, Slim and Black Beauty. The cross between the Fatboy and Slim is the Konsul, or as an old member CDCarrington calls it, the Bear. The cross between the Slim and Black Beauty is the Ideal. In the pictures below you can see the Fatboy, Konsul, Slim, Ideal, and Black Beauty. The Konsul was a high quality razor that is near flawless in its design and execution. The Ideal is a lower quality razor that often had blade alignment issue that had to be tweaked.

Adjustables (1).jpg Adjustables (2).jpg

There is also a clone of the Schick Krona which I don't own but found this picture to include it in the mix.

Krona Clone.jpg

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    AGHisBBS likes this.
  19. Bookworm

I've hit a few of those. Jan and Dean kept playing. The only Soviet era razor I have right now is a Soluna. did you know that Scrubbing Bubbles melts the gold paint off of them? Anyway - the Volga sounds like a fun one to get. I like the looks of that handle, and maybe they'll be cheaper than trying to get one of the huge handled Gillette TTO's.

20. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

I see them around between forty and sixty dollars US. You will have to decide on value.