June 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, May 31, 2017.

?

What would you most like for Father's Day?

1. A brand new modern stainless steel razor baby!

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. A vintage DE razor!

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. A vintage straight razor - I'm living the dark side!

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  4. A nice vintage injector!

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. A new brush - or an old one to restore!

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  6. Some of my favorite soap or shaving cream!

14 vote(s)
    37.8%
  7. Cookies - LOTS of cookies!!

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  8. A group intro without this stupid poll!!!!

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I'm excited to try them. These have been on my wish list for a while but I couldn't justify buying them.

2. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Beautiful family, Chris! And glad you are getting some use out of the Shavey Awards. The Maggards stuff above is all good stuff. I can't get enough of that Taiga! Tell your wife we are continuing to pray for her.

Drygulch, Douglas Carey, RyX and 7 others like this.
  3. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Randy, I appreciate it. I bought the Taiga because you have been touting the wonders of the Latha line. I can't wait to try it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

4. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

FullSizeRender.jpg Menthol Monday is not really a thing for me, as I am not usually a freeze the face-off kind of guy. Today I made an exception, as the mood just kinda hit me. The Stirling glacial lemon chill brought the freeze to my face, and I finished it off with some cherry splash which is not yet available on the market, but I highly recommend when the captain releases it! Oh, and thanks to @wchnu I am totally digging the Vie-long horsehair. All is well in my den!

5. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: Gillette Aristocrat (1947)
    Blade: Wilkinson (2)
    Brush: Amigos Dos Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic LE Jade
    Soap: Nuavia Rossa
    Aftershave: Lucky Tiger
    Bowl: The Distinctive Goat Sinker Cypress Wood
    19 06 17.jpg

6. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Great setup, Randy!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

7. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Beautiful Aristocrat, Doug!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great looking razor Doug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks very much Clint.

10. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thank you Andrew.

11. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Tuesday shave

I bought this Russian razor last year but I was never able to hone it successfully. I sent several razors for honing to Larry at Whipped Dog so I included my Russian Rocket. The razors returned yesterday so I decided to take this razor for its maiden flight.

As expected the edge was fantastic, very sharp and very smooth but this razor is the smallest razor I have. It feels like 4/8 or at best 5/8. I struggled with its size and lack of heft. I did four passes and zero blood but a tickle from the alum and just short of dolphin smooth. If I keep using this razor I am sure I could improve on this shave but given my preference for bigger heavier razors, I am thinking about a PIF for this razor.

Irritation A Closeness A- Smoothness A+ Sharpness A+
    IMG_3686.jpg

12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

BULLY indeed. Great photos and stories! I never had kids so it is great seeing y'alls!!

Glad your enjoying the horse!!

Did a bit of menthol Monday here. Super Max menthol with Barbasol brisk. The 1915 Kampfe bros/star did a great job with a older PAL blade.
    tmp_22851-20170619_153401-1504540544.jpg

13. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

This isn't exactly shaving related, but my dad gave me a special gift while at his place: his grandfather's pocket watch. My great grandfather worked for the railway in Eastern New Mexico, and He purchased this watch in 30's when he started. My dad actually wore it when he started his career in the late 70's working for Diamond Shamrock. I pretty much know nothing about pocket watches, but I will have to get this one cleaned up.

IMG_0339.JPG

14. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

June 19 - more Italian fun

Merkur 34C
    Gillette SharpEdge(day 1)
    Dark Chocolate (JR148) brush
    DIY PSO
    I Coloniali Mango oil soap
    Alum/Thayers/AOS PSB

Today was my daughter's 4th grade graduation and I decided to splurge with another item from Pasteur's. Today it was I Coloniali Mango Oil soap. It is listed as a cream but is hard like a soap. It came is a great looking terra cotta jar that doesn't really have enough room to load a brush. I made it work. Added a few drops of water on the puck and a damp but not wet brush. It quickly made lather that took a decent amount of water. Lather was shiny, slick and very good cushion. Bubbles were too fine to see. The scent is hard to describe. It has been described as a sweeter Sandalwood that I would say is sweetened with a light touch of fall fruit like Bartlett Pears. The scent is light but still very noticeable. I enjoyed it. This is another excellent soap. Too bad, as I have read, it is discontinued. With a new SharpEdge, it floated over my skin. Even when the lather is removed, there is enough slickness to protect. Got the BBS on 3.5 passes and the alum was a bit more than tingling but faded fast.

15. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Wonderful shape. Yes, find a jeweler or watch repair place that's very experienced with them.

16. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

That looks awesome! Good for you!

17. Norcalnewb

Thank you. Do you happen to know of any places in Houston?

18. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Another great shave save for a small weeper above the lip.
    For the rest of this week at least the usual 30dc setup
    Murkur 38C
    Razorock xXx
    Fine Platinum a little menthol Monday action
    Per my focus this week tried a Derby blade not a favorite but also not as bad as a lot of people say.
    Of course a rather quiet Gentleman Jon
    And new to the show
    JR177 with a plisson knot woohoo love this handle great for the face lather!

[​IMG]

19. Norcalnewb

Thank you!

20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Most awesome!!

There is a jeweler in Vidor. The place is called Jay's if he is still in business he can help. My Grandmother and my Mom trusted him with all there stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.