The Haul: June 2017

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by RaZorBurn123, May 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

Old Type. I'll get a date on it when I clean it. A couple of small cracks. Desperately needs a cleaning.
    Goodwill #164. This type of Goodwill looks to be made from Old Type parts. The cap is very thin, noticeably thinner than the old type above. Also of interest: There are some areas on the ball and the head where there is some red paint, there was an old blade in it that said Gillette Thin, and there was some sort of tag rolled up in the handle. Also desperately needs a cleaning.
    Chubby 2 Best Badger (purchased used from a nice gentleman on one of the forums).
    Maggard Synth 24mm that the gentleman threw in with the Chubby.
    Will post some "after cleaning" photos of the razors next week.
    DSCN1083[1].JPG DSCN1086[1].JPG DSCN1085[1].JPG DSCN1091[1].JPG

2. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

MDC Citrus

[​IMG]

Hodge, brit, SHAVEWIZARD420 and 16 others like this.
  3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I traded for
    Above the tie
    Calipso
    M1 $_1.jpg

4. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

Thank you for the tips. My wife's aunt has a blade sharping business, I should ask her about getting it ready for use. I will need to check out your link.
    Steve

Jim99, ob1page and Redfisher like this.
  5. George X

George X Well-Known Member

JR 187 arrived today and it is pictured next to one of my Father's Day razor for size comparison. The feel of the brush my hand is awesome. I can't wait to use it
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Synthetic is far superior. Just saying....

7. david of central florida

Disagree

Redfisher and Enrico like this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Maggard's sell the tuxedo synthetics as well.

Herm2502, RyX and Stu929 like this.
  9. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Im aware just not sure what would look best with the blue. Im going to wait to see how well it cleans up. Originally I was thinking of restoring this and giving it to the wife to go with her blue starburst but now Im not sure. May have to save another one from the wild for her

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    RyX, mrchick and ob1page like this.
  10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Psssttttttttt..whut ya got in da Khaki set there mister????

mrchick likes this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Let me restate. "Synthetic is better" has no objective meaning.

Shall we have an honest debate on objective criteria?

Synthetic:

More efficient at mixing air and consumes far less soap.
    Does not absorb water, therefore more hygienic in repeated use.
    No break in.
    Cheaper, both initially and actualized over usage.

Synthetic does not feel as luxurious some natural hair, but on performance it's absolutely no contest by any objective metric. People choosing badger because it's luxurious, or they like it is fine. But I've never seen a refutation of the above objective argument. Synthetic gives more for less, and outperforms. That's what superior is all about.

AGHisBBS, Linuxguile, ob1page and 4 others like this.
  12. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

A very purty razor

13. david of central florida

To you
    You say it uses less product, maybe some like more product
    You say less expensive, i say its just cheap.
    You say it dries faster, but why wouldn't plastic dry faster.
    You keep pushing your love of synthetics, I'm happy for you.
    But just because you say it, doesn't mean it's true. It's just your opinion.
    One of the great qualities of this forum is our agreement to get along. But you keep pushing your opinion on others. I feel badger is better, and so do most of the sellers of brushes, according to their price tags.
    While price isn't a determination of quality, it's certainly a trait.
    Your stance, posts, and attitude, would be like me saying de's are better than straights or se's.
    In the words of Rodney king, can't we all get along?
    Please don't push your belief on others.

PLAla, ob1page, Enrico and 2 others like this.
  14. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

The razors in my previous post (#361) are cleaned. The old cleaned up much better than I anticipated. It has no serial number so it is from sometime between 1921 and 1929. Its cracks aren't too bad, and its teeth are straight. Better than I expected when I purchased it based on photos. The Goodwill is what it is. It cleaned up fine, but it is badly tarnished and has a couple of cracks that aren't terrible, but are probably what could be considered average. Still, its a #164. Maybe not rare, but also not the most common razor.
    all.JPG old.JPG g.JPG good.JPG

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  15. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Scored a stropping handle. Now I can work on getting my wedge blades in shape.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

16. Bama Samurai

I am not pushing a belief. You are redefining what superior means. And you're right, you are free to like anything you want. You are entitled to you opinion, but you can't change the objective facts. And like I predicted, you neither refuted my argument, nor offered facts to the contrary. You offered the usual "feelings without data". You have proven that you like badger, and that you can't debate without insulting me. I never accused you of having a bad attitude, I offered a chance to debate me on the merits of badger. An apology would be in order here.

mrchick, RyX, Enrico and 2 others like this.
  17. david of central florida

I'm sorry, if it will help.
    But often I've seen that folks come here, saying they were outed from other forums because they didn't go along with the opinion of a chosen few, they felt like they were unwelcome to state their feelings.
    I would like to live my synthetic brushes for the very reasons you've stated. But, i make the richest, smoothest, and I'm dialed in on the water ratio with the natural bristle.
    Synthetic lather seems frothy. I must work it to get it like i like.
    Synthetics don't splay like natural do. And the natural feels richer (somehow) on my face.
    While these facts may not be quantifyable for your tally, they are tangable enough for the makers of synthetics to strive for.
    They all want to be as soft as badger and firm like a boar.
    Thre

The natural are the standard.

I'm not mad or upset at you. I just wanted be known, that others may disagree with your absolute statement that synthetics are superior.
    I maintain badger is still the deluxe model of shave brush.

No insult meant,
    D

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    mrchick, RyX, PLAla and 3 others like this.
  18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Ok guys,

I really like that your both passionate about your opinions. That said you should open a thread and take a poll on all merits of Badger, Boar, and Synthetic (alphabetical in order only). I don't expect a winner, but I do expect a debate with pro and cons held in a civil, friendly manor.

Bear bristles awesome!!! :happy097::D

mrchick, George X, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  19. Bama Samurai

Splay is an objective fact. And true. The rest of the story is about your technique and preferences, and not actually about the fibers. Your technique is developed for your tools. I am OK with that, I hope you are too. Thank you for the thoughtful reply, I never intend to silence anyone, and seek only dispassionate factual debate. It's not personal, it's discussion. People get outed from forums because they can't debate and stay on topic without losing control of their emotions, and then they write something dumb that violates the forum rules.

mrchick, ob1page, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  20. Bama Samurai

Barbasol.

Get some.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.