Kokak's Safety Razor journey...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Kokak, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 21: Thu @730AM
    Morning clean up...

Prep: Cool Water Rinse
    Shaving Soap: Captain's Choice North
    Shaving Bowl: Fine Lather Bowl
    Brush: RazorRock Chubby #506 Handle Extra Silvertip Badger (27.5 mm x 51 mm)
    Razor: Rockwell 6S (#2)
    Blade: Astra SP (4)
    Direction: WTG - ATG - WTG
    Splash: Stirling Bergamot & Lavender (+Menthol)
    Balm: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm

Last nights test shave was so mild that I had a bit of growth this morning. Since I have a meeting with another client today I decided to look my best and clean up a little bit. This also gives me a chance to test yet another new soap, Captain's Choice North.
    The soap was very, very nice. Very slick, great lather and a very nice scent. I can only describe the scent as; the smell of the backyard forest, in Washington, after a morning rain. It brought back some very fond memories of staying with my Great Grandma in Seattle as a young boy. Post shave feel was awesome!
    Cleanup shave went without incident and good enough.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    Tiredricefarmer, Rhody and Tdmsu like this.
  2. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

Great ongoing journey
    I pulled the trigger on the 6c today!

Kokak and Tdmsu like this.
  3. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 21: Thu @700PM
    Before Church cleanup...

Shaving Soap: Captain's Choice 45th Parallel
    Razor: Rockwell 6S (#3)
    Blade: Gillette SB (1)
    Direction: WTG - WTG
    Splash: Stirling Piacenza (+Menthol)
    Balm: none

WOW! 45th Parallel smells INCREDIBLE! Lather was awesome and slick. Post shave was very nice. So nice I skipped the Nivea Balm all together. I am very impressed with the scent and performance of the Captain's Choice shave soaps. Did I mention the scent was AWESOME!
    I ordered some Stirling Pre Shave Oil in the Barbershop scent. Actually ordered the Soap and Aftershave (+Menthol) as well. So I will have a new Prep regiment next week.

Tiredricefarmer, Rhody and Tdmsu like this.
  4. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

You will not be disappointed with the razor.

Rhody likes this.
  5. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 22: Fri @800AM
    Morning cleanup...

Prep: Stirling Bergamot & Lavender Bath Soap
    Shaving Soap: Catie's Bubbles Sunrise
    Razor: Rockwell 6S (#4)
    Blade: Gillette SB (2)
    Direction: WTG - XTG - WTG
    Splash: Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill

Catie's Bubbles keeps on impressing me. The Sunrise Soap is fantastic. Just the right amount of mint, menthol and citrus makes for a great scent. Performance was great. Really nice slickness, shave feel and post shave feel. The Rockwell plate #4 is going to be my everyday plate.
    Post shave was so nice and comfortable I only used the Stirling Aftershave and bypassed the Balm altogether.

Tiredricefarmer, Tdmsu and Rhody like this.
  6. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

Great journal.
    Im enjoying sunrise and the 45th too.

Kokak likes this.
  7. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 23: Sat @645AM
    Morning cleanup...

Prep: Cold Water Rinse
    Razor: Gillette 109 '71 Q3 (4,4,5,6)
    Blade: Gillette SB (1)
    Direction: WTG - XTG - WTG -WTG
    Splash: Stirling Piacenza (+Menthol)

Okay. As you can see I tested a new (to me) razor this morning. Yesterday I received a Vintage Gillette 109 R3 ('71 3rd Quarter) razor I bought on eBay. So of course I had to try it out. Since this is an adjustable, I started close to the middle and then moved up in aggressiveness settings.
    1st pass on 4 was very mild. No tugging and no irritation. I completed pass 2, on the same setting, with similar results. For pass 3 I increased the setting to 5. A little more audible feedback, but still irritation free. After rinsing it seemed I needed an additional pass. I adjusted the razor to setting 6 and started my 4th pass. No irritation, no weepers and no cuts. I am very impressed with this 46 year old razor. While not a BBS shave it definitely qualified as a DFS.
    I am also becoming more and more impressed with the performance of Catie's Bubbles. Even after a 4 pass shave, an aftershave splash left my face feeling smooth and hydrated. No need for a moisturizing balm.
    Pictures of the new razor to follow soon.

Tdmsu likes this.
  8. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 23: Sat @800AM
    Note...

I have changed the name of the shave journal, since I am also testing another razor, other than Rockwell 6S.

Tdmsu likes this.
  9. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 24: Sun @830AM
    Morning cleanup...

Prep: Cold Water Rinse
    Shaving Soap: Sapone Di Paolo Albera (Blue Spruce)
    Razor: Gillette 109 '71 Q3 (5)
    Blade: Gillette SB (2)

This 46 year old razor is great! I completed all 3 passes without issue or irritation. Also the Sapone Di Paolo performs fantastic. The lather was like spreading Marshmellow Creme on my face. Really slick and just awesome. The only thing I am not crazy about is this particular scent. I am just not an outdoorsy kind of scent guy, when it comes to my shave soap. The post shave feel was so nice, I skipped the Post Shave Balm.

Tdmsu likes this.
  10. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 25: Mon @700AM
    Morning cleanup...

Prep: Stirling Bergamot & Lavender Bath Soap
    Shaving Soap: RazoRock xXx
    Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (1)
    Splash: Stirling Bergamot & Lavender (+Menthol)

Shave went really well. I decided to try a different blade after reading some reviews of the Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (Yellow) blades. After 3 passes I had what I can only describe as a DFS experience. Before I even started to shave, after applying xXx, my face began to tingle a little. I think I maybe a little sensitive to the perfume added to xXx. I am hoping this is not the issue, since I really like the scent.
    I just received a Stirling order today. Barbershop Pre Shave Oil, Shaving Soap and Aftershave. I will have a write-up after my next shave. But I have to say... just sniffing the soap... it is going to be AWESOME!

Tdmsu and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  11. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 25: Mon @830PM
    Evening cleanup...

Prep: Stirling Barbershop Pre Shave Oil
    Shaving Soap: Stirling Barbershop
    Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (2)
    Splash: Stirling Barbershop (+Menthol)

This is my 1st shave using Pre Shave Oil, WOW. What a difference. Stirling's Barbershop is an awesome scent. My wife is not thrilled by the scent; says it smells heavy of powder. But I really like it. Not to mention, the normal slickness of Stirling is x5 with the Pre Shave Oil. This shave was an awesome sum of some great products! Pre Shave Oil + Stirling soap slickness + Rockwell 6S performance = A Most Awesome Shave! While the Stirling Soap is plenty slick and has great post shave feel, the addition of the Pre Shave Oil prep took the over all shave experience up several notches.

Tiredricefarmer and Tdmsu like this.
  12. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 26: Tue@845PM
    Evening cleanup...

Shaving Soap: Catie's Bubbles Sunset
    Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (3)
    Splash: Stirling Begamot & Lavender (+Menthol)

Tried something a little different this evening. Instead of rinsing between each pass, I just applied the next passes soap. I did this for all 3 passes without any discomfort or irritation. I did feel like after my shave and application of Aftershave, my face was a little more dry than my previous shaves. So I broke out the Nivea Balm.
    While the 7 O'Clock Yellow blades seemed to preform well, I think I prefer the Astra SP blades better. They just seem smoother in the Rockwell.

Tdmsu likes this.
  13. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 27: Wed @530PM
    Evening cleanup...

Shaving Soap: Phoenix's Cavendish
    Blade: Gillette SB (3)
    Splash: Phoenix's Good Vibrations

So I was able to stop into a local shave shop, during lunch today (The Old Shaving Company) and could not leave without a new soap and aftershave.
    I was going through all their shelves and found myself drawn to the Phoenix soaps and aftershaves. I really enjoyed all of the scents, some more than others. But really enjoyed the scent of their Cavendish shave soap. The smell of pipe tobacco takes me back to a time when I was a kid sitting at my neighbors hose talking with 'Grandpa'. Then I stumbled on their 'Good Vibrations' aftershave. Didn't even bother to look at prices and just took them straight up to the counter and made my purchase.
    The soap was AWESOME. Lather was thick and slick and smelled fantastic. Completed my 3 pass shave and was comfortable and close to BBS.
    The aftershave splash was also just amazing. I could not describe the scent adequately, but wow.
    This was one of my best and most relaxing shaves to date. BTW... the Gillette SB seems to be better performer in the Rockwell (for me) razor.

Tdmsu likes this.
  14. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 28: Thu@900PM
    Evening cleanup...

Shaving Soap: Sapone Di Paolo Cremoso (Coconut & Vanilla)
    Blade: Gillette SB (4)
    Direction: WTG - XTG (left) - XTG (right) - WTG
    Splash: Phoenix's Good Vibrations

Just got another delivery of soap today from Sapone Di Paolo. Tonight's soap was Cremoso (Coconut & Vanilla). The scent was good enough to eat. SDP is a fantastic performing soap. Very thick, creamy and super slick lather. Post shave feel was very nice. I didn't use a pre-shave oil because my wife really hated the scent of the Stirling Barbershop Pre-Shave Oil. I did order a couple (3) replacements from Stirling and will review them when the arrive next week.
    I tried a 4 pass shave this evening. Pass 2 was XTG from Right to Left and pass 3 was XTG from Left to Right. While this left me with a BBS shave, my face was a little irritated. I will be switching back to the Astra SP blades tomorrow. The Astra's have been the most consistent performing blade with the Rockwell razor.
    I did use a balm tonight to help sooth my irritated face. No more 4 pass shaves for me.

15. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 29: Fri@730AM
    Morning cleanup...

Shaving Soap: Sapone Di Paolo Arancione (Sweet Orange)
    Brush: RazorRock Bruce Handle Plissoft (24 mm x 57 mm)
    Razor: Gillette 109 '71 Q3 (2/9)
    Blade: Gillette SB (3)
    Direction: WTG - WTG

So I received 2 new soaps yesterday and decided to do a test lather this morning... and then figured I might as well do a little cleanup and not waste a good lathering.
    SDP soap is just fantastic and I am so happy I was introduced to this soap maker. I have also only been using my Silvertip badger lately so using the Plissoft today was a really nice treat. In fact, I enjoyed it so much and am having so much fun mixing an matching items, I picked up 2 new synthetic RazoRock brushes. I will include them into my journal next week, once I receive them.
    The Gillette Black Beauty is really a performer as well. I started the 1st pass set on 2 and that was so smooth and effortless I then took it up to 9. 9 was so nice for a cleanup pass that I think I may use it on my single pass morning cleanup shaves.

16. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 29: Fri@930PM
    Evening relaxation ...

Razor: Rockwell 6S (5)
    Blade: Astra SP (1)
    Splash: Stirling Piacenza

Decided to try plate #5 tonight for my relaxing cleanup shave. I figured my technique has improved enough that plate 5 would not be so much of a challenge this time. The shave was close and very efficient but left me with a little irritation. This just reinforces the fact that plate 4 is my go to plate for everyday shaves.
    I really like CB Sunrise a lot. I also am really missing the feel of a Pre-Shave Oil.

Tiredricefarmer likes this.
  17. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 30: Sat@330PM
    Afternoon cleanup ...

Prep: Stirling Barbershop Pre-Shave Oil
    Shaving Soap: Captain's Choice Bay Rum Cream / 45th Parallel
    Razor: Rockwell 6S (4)
    Blade: Astra SP (2)
    Splash: Stirling Bergamot & Lavender

When I went down to The Old Shaving Company last week, besides buying a soap and aftershave, I received a sample of Captain's Choice Bay Rum Cream. I have determined I have a skin sensitivity to some of the Essential Oils and Fragrances that a few of the soaps I own contain. So asked if they had a sample I could try of the Bay Rum and they were more than willing to oblige.
    I thought the Scent was great, Slickness was great and post shave feel (slickness and moisturizing) was nice. My face, unfortunately began to tingle during the 1st pass. So I needed to rinse my face and then continue the rest of my shave with Captain's Choice 45th Parallel. Other than my face stinging from the reaction to the Bay Rum, my shave was perfect.

18. matteob

matteob Active Member

Great journal mate. I'm with you on Astra SP: best all round performer in all my razors though some perform better in individual ones. Please keep the reviews coming!

Kokak and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  19. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 31: Sun@930AM
    Good morning shave ...

Prep: Stirling Bergamot & Lavender Body Butter
    Shaving Soap: Sapone Di Paolo Arancione (Sweet Orange)
    Blade: Astra SP (3)
    Splash: PAA Good Vibrations

So, while I am waiting the arrival of my Stirling Pre-Shave Oils I got an idea... My wife also loves the Stirling Soaps, Lotions, Bath Bars and has several in 'her' bathroom. So I stole a sample of her Bergamot & Lavender Body Butter and applied it as a Pre-Shave. I have to say, it worked out perfectly. While it does not have the lubricating stay of their oil, it provided a really nice slickness (at least for the 1st pass). Not to mention the Bergamot and the Orange scent from the Shave Soap blended together for a nice scent profile.
    My shaves are something I look forward to everyday now.

20. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 32: Mon@430PM
    Afternoon shave ...

Prep: Stirling Bergamot & Lavender Pre-Shave Oil
    Shaving Soap: Captain's Choice North
    Blade: Astra SP (4)
    Splash: Stirling Bergamot & Lavender

Worked only a half day today and found myself in an empty house. So what better why to completely unwind than to have an afternoon shave. My order of Shave Oils came in from Stirling, so I was able to try out the new oil scents.
    The combination of Bergamot and Forest smell was AWESOME! So relaxing and enjoyable, I can't begin to describe it. I probably used too much water as my lather was a little thin and runny, but the Pre-Shave Oil saved the day.
    The RazoRock synthetic brush is even better than I remember. I attribute this to my technique getting better with practice. Everything about this afternoons shave experience was fantastic.
    I have seen discussion about Pre-Shave Oils and I know many people say; "You don't need a Pre-Shave Oil if your have a quality soap..." While I agree with this; adding a Pre-Shave Oil to a shave with a Quality Soap only takes that already quality shave up a few notches. While it is absolutely not needed, I find it to be just another layer of awesomeness. I will always use a Pre-Shave Oil for all of my shaves.