Stainless Steel RazoRock Hawk

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Paul6506, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Paul6506

Paul6506 Well-Known Member

Anyone have one? Thoughts? I recently purchased my 1st SE the Razorock Hawk satin finish (aluminum). I have gotten the best shaves from it over all my previous DE razors. I know the SS version was a limited run but would love to hear from an owner of one and or find one to try or trade for.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

SS Hawk = Precise surgical instrument that's CNC machined for $60.... Joe had them in store a week a go for good 4 hours till they sold out, he had many of them and you should of got one, next time be on the look out

3. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Just picked one up myself, last week. Should be here in a day or two. They had them on sale for a couple of hours and gone. I'm looking forward to trying it out and see how it fairs against the others I've had like the El Jefe, Rx, and the Brass General. The El Jefe was on loan, but I own the last two. For $60 and Stainless, a no brainer....

Paul6506 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

The SS DLC Hawk is my favorite of my SE's, so much that I'll be getting rid of my others.

Str8on2 and Paul6506 like this.
  5. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Anyone have the SS Hawk and a Colonial Brass General? If so, how do they compare?
    I have the General and an Aluminum Hawk and, to me, the General gives a much better shave -- my favorite shaver now. Wondering if there's a difference with the SS model?

6. Str8on2

Just got mine in today. Hopefully will get a shave in with it tonight. If not, definitely bright and early tomorrow morning. The RR SS DLC Hawk SE is a very nice looking razor. Fit and finish is excellent and the coating is even throughout the razor. Good weight and balance in the hand. Don't know how Joe at Italian Barber does it for $60. Looking forward to the shave and how it stacks up with the rest of the AC style razors in my den, the Rx & Brass General.......
    IMG_0860.JPG IMG_0861.JPG IMG_0862.JPG

Jim99 and Jayaruh like this.
  7. DesertTime

That's a beautiful razor. I've come to prefer SE razors recently, especially the AC style.

Looking forward to your analysis.

Str8on2 likes this.
  8. Str8on2

Got my first shave in today with the RR SS DLC Hawk, and it did not disappoint. As I've posted before in this same thread, pics are there and you can see for yourself that the quality of the machining and coating are excellent. For the amount of money that is being asked for this, it's a steal. Blade fitment is precise as the top cap and base align perfectly. Once the handle has been attached and tightened, it is vault like with absolutely no movement or chatter whatsoever. Blade exposure and gap is perfect and even through the length of the safety bar base. Very nicely done. The handle is either love or hate. It's ok aesthetically, I don't love it. One thing is certain, tons of grip. If it falls from your hands, you dropped it because it will not slip, trust me.

Enough of that though.... How does it shave? I grabbed a 5 times used Feather Pro, placed it onto the top cap alignment tabs, lined up the base plate and tightened it up. Lathered up with some PannaCrema Labdano and went to work on 36 hours worth of stubble growth. I have thin and extremely wirey, steel like hair. It'll put any razor and blade to the test.
    The Pro & Hawk went through it like a hot knife through butter. I completed a 2 pass shave with minor touch ups around the throat and a bit of light buffing on the chin, BBS all around. The razor felt very well balanced in the hand and transitioning from WTG strokes to ATG strokes was super easy. Did not feel much of the blade on my face, and audible feedback was on the quiet side. Not Brass General like, which is mild but extremely efficient with hardly any audible feedback. The DLC Hawk felt just a tad bit less mild/more aggressive than the Brass General, which I like but was still Uber efficient and butter smooth. Not a single nic, weeper or cut and more importantly, zero irritation. Also, the weight of the razor helps in that you just let it fall and just guide it on down with each stroke. And it is a little bit lighter than the Brass General, but you still know you have a solid piece in your hands.

First go round and I am very pleased with the results. Good weight, balance, 316L stainless and a very smooth, efficient razor. If you ask me, on par with the Brass General head to head. Just a tad bit, and I mean very lightly, more aggressive than the Brass General and almost just as smooth. A precision tool, made of premium metals and at under $60? Ever heard of the term "It's a Sleeper"? This one is it. An excellent razor at a bargain price that will give you a shave as good as those costing 2-3 times as much. Here is the problem. Try getting one. It's like a rare sighting of Bigfoot riding a Unicorn. They sell out fast and that may be a good thing. People like it, so do I. It's a keeper for me and next will be a test with a Proline..... my hair can't grow back fast enough. :happy088:
    IMG_0877.JPG

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  9. DesertTime

Awesome review. Thanks.

10. Str8on2

Very quickly, tried the RR SS DLC Hawk with a Schick Proline today and let me tell you, this might be one of the best AC style blades I have ever tried. Super sharp, but extremely smooth and forgiving. Smoother than a Feather Pro and an equal in sharpness. Extremely impressed by this blade and razor combo. Real good stuff.....
    IMG_0888.JPG

Jim99 and DesertTime like this.
  11. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Agree the SS HAWK + Proline an awesome combo. Just received today the Ti Baby Smooth and I like how they also glass blasted the handle to match the head finish

12. Str8on2

Awesome combo indeed. Congrats on the new razor. Post your thought and a review. Would like to read up on it. On another note, Joe at Italian Barber is ready to release the New Hawk V2. Supposedly tomorrow sometime. Don't know if it's aluminum or stainless. No more details released yet. It will be interesting to see....

13. DesertTime

I like that blade, too. Curious, how many shaves are folks getting from a Proline?

14. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

I retired mine after 10 shaves because the titanium bbs came in and wanted to test it, probably I could of gotten 14-16 shaves from the blade

15. DesertTime

I replaced mine after 10, but I probably had a few shaves in it. I actually thought it performed better than the Feather.
    What is a Titanium BBS?

16. Str8on2

It's the RazoRock Titanium Baby Smooth DE Razor...