Don't look. Not for the weak or faint of Heart. Blackland Sabre...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Str8on2, Jun 10, 2017.

1. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Ah, no.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Envium

3. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Really nice looking razor, I'd like to have one. BUT there are so many good shaving vintage Gem, Star, etc for little $$ I just can't do it. Now if someone were to gift me one...........

GarnerPW likes this.
  4. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

Let me how that works out for you. If you find some one get a second razor for me as well.

Sent from my phone using some app

5. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

6. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Blackland Razors has their Gem style razor posted on their website. Not yet ready for sale, but just giving potential buyers a look see as to pricing. It is a simple 3 piece design that is simply stunning. And that is just the matte finish. I can't imagine the high polished version being less than superb. I'm really looking forward to acquiring the Sabre..
    IMG_0880.JPG IMG_0879.PNG IMG_0878.JPG IMG_0877.JPG
    $185 Matte finish - $215 High Polished finish. Not cheap of course. But I used to spend that x 2 per month when I used to smoke cigarettes. I'm still ahead and healthier....:happy036:

Jorvaljr and twhite like this.
  7. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I like this razor. Very simple straight forward design. the stud does not concern me as it is stainless, No need to torque down when assembling.

8. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

ROTFLMAO!

Jorvaljr, DaltonGang and Bama Samurai like this.
  9. RetLEO-07

With all due respect and love, not only no, but HELL no.

Ijustmissedthe50s, Str8on2 and twhite like this.
  10. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

It would be nice if you tell us how you really feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

11. Mike Brown

Mike Brown Well-Known Member

I'll keep using all my antiques------get great shaves and it's fun to use razors that old, some more than 110 years old.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  12. Str8on2

Well, it's official. The Blackland Sabre will be availabe for sale on the 24th of this month at 12pm noontime. First the matte finish, then the polished version sometime later down the road.

Just might bite the bullet and pick up the matte finish one and if the shave is all that, then look for a polished version later. Looking forward to its release......

Jorvaljr likes this.
  13. Str8on2

I understand completely...... But I am your complete opposite. I'll one up ya......

HELL IMG_0080.GIF

Jorvaljr likes this.
  14. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Still too much for my liking. Why are they charging so much for a simply designed razor? I know that a lot of work goes into the design, but I think at half the price, they might have 10x the sales.
    Sure it looks nice, but it still is just a razor. Does it shave any better than say, and old $40 Gillette Fatboy?? That's a beautifully designed razor. As are many Vintage Razors. Or, are you just paying extra for something not many can justifiably afford. Or, is this just something to use as a piece of art, to show off?
    Artwork I get. Justifying it as a better shaving implement I don't.

Ijustmissedthe50s and RetLEO-07 like this.
  15. Bama Samurai

Just wait a couple weeks, I'm thinking they'll be available. Aftermarket.

DaltonGang likes this.
  16. RetLEO-07

Amen deacon!

Ijustmissedthe50s and DaltonGang like this.
  17. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

The Chinese could make an exact copy, for under $10, if the market is there.

18. Bama Samurai

I mean people who bought another razor to solve their irritation issues. Since they didn't buy technique, they'll sell this razor too.

19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

"Buy technique and yours is the world and all that is in it, my son."

Things Kipling Shoulda Said About Shaving, Vol. II

20. Str8on2

All opinions, some maybe right, some maybe wrong. I'm not here to say or pick a side. I pick my own, because at the end of the day I bet on me, period. Before I go on waxing poetic on this subject of high priced blade holders, because that's in essence what every single razor known to man is, minus the straight, I would like to quote what an individual said in another forum concerning this same issue in responding to a fellow member about the cost and high prices and such of the modern day razor whether DE, SE, Gem and whatever else may be available:
    Member "A" said:
    "I don't think any of the new GEM style razors are going to change wet shaving at all. The old GEM style razors will shave just the same as the new ones (some more/less aggressive than others). People are just upgrading from a Model T GEM style razor to something more modern IMO."

Member "B" responded:
    "You're not really wrong, but that exact logic applies to every single item in wet shaving. Soaps still work like soaps, blades are still sharp, brushes still lather, aftershave still smells nice, straight razors haven't changed, etc. New options aren't here to make the old ones obsolete, but to add to the experience by introducing a new take on an old idea. Modern and vintage gear both bring something to the table and most dens have room for a bit of both."

My $0.02 is this. We all have tried vintage and new, some preferring vintage over modern and vice versa. Regardless of the reason, we have a group that likes to spend big bucks on moderns, a group that spends big bucks on vintage. Then we have the flip side, those that are cheap/frugal with modern razors, and those that are cheap/frugal with vintage razors.
    I ask all you gents this, which side is right/wrong? Mr. Ritz, who has to have the newest unobtanium known to man because it's his right to feel free to spend as he pleases on the tool of his choice? OR.... Is it Mr. Cheapo who minimizes his expense because at the end of the day it is just a razor and I don't need something new at a higher expense because my old whatever gets the job done just as good if not better than those new fangled metal ones?

I think there is only one true answer, anyway you try to slice it. Perhaps either one of you gents can come up with a sound, logical explanation to your particular stance on the subject that can bridge this divide on what is wrong or right or why it does or doesn't make sense to do whatever it is that we do, on both sides of the fence.

CHOICE. Because you can make it and so can I. Everything else is irrelevant. Like I stated before, just my $0.02.
    Oh boy, here we go......:kar: