Don't look. Not for the weak or faint of Heart. Blackland Sabre...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Str8on2, Jun 10, 2017.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

@Str8on2 , what it all boils down to is, if it makes you happy, buy it. It's a hobby, and it should be fun. Not everyone approaches this shaving hobby in the same way, or understands others views of it.
    I hope I didn't confuse anyone more.

blashe and Jorvaljr like this.
  2. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Agreed. That's what it all boils down to. Trust me my friend I'm not on a crusade to defend one or the other. Just stating my personal view is all. I've always believed in the age old saying "live and let live" and everything will take care of itself. Yes what makes you happy and a hobby that we all love, we do as we please and what seems fit for our individual tastes and needs. If I came across as being abrasive, that was not my intention amigo. And my apologies to you and those members that I quoted in this post if it came across as that. Happy shaves!:)

Jorvaljr likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

It's your shave. Enjoy it your way.

Jorvaljr and Str8on2 like this.
  4. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I think some of us still like to ask the question, " why does it have to be so expensive ?" It isn't to argue the point or to dissuade anyone from buying the razors. Lol we really want to know. My personal opinion... they sell because people buy. we help them market the razors and hype it up. Lol we create the frenzy.. they don't even have to market these things, we do it for them. I like looking at the modern razors, but they have priced me out. I either have to wait until the secondary market starts selling cheap or not get it. Others are on the list, pre-ordered , calendar marked, sotd on stand by. In the end a hobby we all enjoy our own way. :eatdrink047:

DaltonGang and Str8on2 like this.
  5. Jorvaljr

Ps I love this razor!

Str8on2 likes this.
  6. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

what would make me happy is obtaining a ever ready stramline razor at honest cost

Jorvaljr likes this.
  7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The only group that bugs me are those who spend big bucks on vintage razors they don't use. And please don't respond with "people can do whatever they want bla bla" that's obvious (and annoying). Speculators and collectors of this stripe do make it harder for shaving enthusiasts by driving up prices, and I'd rather have a beer with the latter than the former, enthusiasts make forums like this far more interesting than they would be if all that was discussed was what you had sitting in a drawer.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    GarnerPW, Str8on2 and Bama Samurai like this.
  8. Str8on2

I second your thoughts on those that buy & collect vintage just to have them sit and admire in some drawer or chest and speak of them on an occasion or two. But the same can be said also for those who purchase the newest razor with all the bells and whistles, use them once, only to display them in their den and again another conversation piece. Why even bother making a purchase on either a vintage or modern razor and not put it to use? Just to say I have one of those and it looks beautiful? The lure for me is how does it shave and feel. Figuring out the angle and a razors particular characteristics. Each razor that I own, vintage and modern all have their own personalities that I enjoy in exploring and getting to know their unique capabilities. Do I spend some greenbacks every once in a while? Of course, it's a hobby that I love and get great satisfaction from, as many do here also. And as you stated correctly, I enjoy a brewski and sparking up a conversation with a couple bro's who enjoy this hobby of ours as much as I do.

jmudrick likes this.
  9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Absolutely. I pointed the finger at vintage hoarders only because I don't really hear people say "I have a Wolfman I haven't used". But same applies. I don't think you can have the same appreciation for a razor you haven't, shall we say, been intimate with.

Str8on2 likes this.
  10. Str8on2

LOL!! That is 100% true my friend....... :rofl:

jmudrick likes this.
  11. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

If it helps, 1) I don't spend big bucks, and 2) most of the ones I've bought are going back out again. I bought them for the fun of getting them, playing with them, finding out about them, and trying to make them work again. (thus the carbon fiber tube handles)

So, if anyone sees something I have that they like - ask. The worst that would happen is I say "No, I'm keeping that one". The next worst would be "You'll have to wait till I'm done." I think that many of the people with insane amounts are the same way. If someone says "I really want that!", it'll be judged by relative desire. The worst that can happen is that the person asked will say "Not for sale." (for example, if you asked me for my J. A. Henckels straight, the answer would be "Not a chance")

Hey, maybe ask @Bama Samurai for a can of goo!

GarnerPW and Str8on2 like this.
  12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Hmm, then no need to be defensive :) . Trying to make things work rates high in my book.

13. Str8on2

Here's another one from PAA. The Starling SE (prototype). I just saw it on their FB page. It looks aluminum, but not sure. Pins secure the blade from the inside of the plate head. As you can see, no blade stops externally. Interesting, perhaps under $50 if it comes to fruition?

IMG_0090.JPG IMG_0091.JPG

14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The one they had at Big Shave West was aluminum, which I have no problem with.

15. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

NOT a chance.

Sent from my phone using some app

16. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Cool post! I think of shaving now as a hobby and an experience. Whatever anyone wants to spend on their hobby/shaving is a choice. That's why it's a hobby, and we all enjoy and choose to pursue different aspects of it. Jay Leno CHOOSES to spend big bucks on cars...some folks like the shade tree mechanic aspect of car collecting. And I don't think wealth disparity has anything to do with it. Leno could collect less expensive cars, and we all know ppl who aren't millionaires who have major bucks into prized hobby collectables. That's why I enjoy the whole gang here on TSD...I learn something from everyone.
    I'd give ya a nickel for your $.02 worth! Happy shaving!

Bookworm and Str8on2 like this.
  17. Str8on2

I have 4 shaves in with the Blacklands Sabre and it has been a joy to shave with. Elegant, classic and modern design paired with a tried and trued GEM blade has provided smooth and efficient shaves every time... My full write up and review coming up soon.
    IMG_0835.JPG IMG_0825.JPG IMG_0826.JPG IMG_0829.JPG IMG_0828.JPG

clint64 and Jorvaljr like this.
  18. Jorvaljr

Str8on2 likes this.
  19. Str8on2

Another thread revival:
    Confirmed from Blackland Razors that the Level 2 baseplate will be done today and will be ready for Monday or Tuesday of next week. Also an inkwell stand for the Sabre will be set and good to go.... Oh Yeah!

blashe and Jorvaljr like this.
  20. Jorvaljr

The saber is getting a level 2 baseplate?

Str8on2 likes this.