Proraso!

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by LevelupShaves, Jul 10, 2017.

1. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

So instead of a review this time I just wanted to spotlight how awesome Proraso is in general. I own the soap and AS of both the Red Sandalwood and Green Menthol Eucalyptus. Since this is the soap forum I'll focus on the soaps here.
    At only $10 for 5.2 ounces this product is a steal and it can be found cheaper on sale sometimes. At a little under $2 an ounce everyone should have at least one tub of Proraso in their den.
    Both the Red and Green have that'll clean classic Italian soap scent with the red having a strong dose of Sandalwood and the green having a slight dose of menthol and Eucalyptus. Both soaps smell great though the red is a bit stronger of a scent. The marching After shaves are a great match even though the smell slightly different they fit perfectly together.
    Because they are Italian croaps these soaps are so easy to creat a lather with. The lather they create is very fluffy and protective. The lather on both soaps can dry out a little before the end of a 3 pass shave so watch out for that.
    When it comes to slickness both of these soaps don't really show up until the second pass but when they do start to get slick it's a nice slickness that gets the job done.
    The post shave on both the red and green is nice. The green leaves a slight tingle from the menthol and the Red leaves a great hydrated feeling on the face. I don't know if it's the Sandalwood oil or what that's different in the red but it just seems to have a slightly better post shave. On top of the soap having a nice post shave the after shaves are great too because they are actually lotions even though they look like a splash.
    I couldn't recommend Proraso enough this is easily one of my favorite mass market soaps hands down. If you don't have some in your den pick some up it's a great buy.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

2. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Nice review! I have the Green Cream and the Lozione Dopobarba.
    As a matter of fact C O Bigelow which is rebranded Green was my first wet shaving cream. I have it and a tube of Green in my den.

Kokak and LevelupShaves like this.
  3. LevelupShaves

Nice I have a tube of C.O. Bigelow as well I like the soap better because I tend to like soaps better in general plus I found the soap on sale at Burlington Coat factory for $6 and had to pick it up.

Kokak and RetLEO-07 like this.
  4. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I've got both Proraso Green, and Red tubes, and tubs, plus a tube of the Blue that I like. I add Glycerine to the Green because it can be drying at times. The Red is awesome due to the shea butter that's in it. The aloe Vera that's in the Blue just takes good care of your skin during and after your shave. I've always gotten good lathers with Proraso.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Kokak likes this.
  5. LevelupShaves

The Shea butter in the red makes a difference in the post shave that's for sure. I could shave with the red at night and go to bed without any AS and feel fine can't quite say the same for the green though I do enjoy the menthol.

Kokak likes this.
  6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

You can usually get Proraso at Ebay anywhere from $6.50 - &6.99 shipped by certain sellers. Not a bad deal if you don't mind waiting a few days.

Kokak and LevelupShaves like this.
  7. chevyguy

I agree the green doesn't treat the skin as well as the red. I do like the menthol coolness on a hot day. As I mentioned above adding glycerine to the Green will really up it's performance.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Kokak likes this.
  8. LevelupShaves

Good to know

9. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:happy088:

10. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Proraso is a great product at a great price!

Demidog likes this.
  11. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I think that it's some of the best stuff around. I own pretty much the entire lineup except for a few pre-shaves and the blue aftershave balm, but I'm working on getting those as well. The performance is top notch and the scents take them to the next level. I only wish that they would make colognes out of the original lineup, especially a cologne version of the green aftershave.

Kokak likes this.
  12. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Oddly enough, you didn't mention their best one...the white line proraso

Nate.H01 likes this.
  13. LevelupShaves

I haven't tried it yet but I bet it's awesome I've been pleased with everything else from Proraso so far.

14. Kaladin

Kaladin Active Member

I've tried Proraso red and white. It's been interesting using them - as a novice wet shaver a year or two ago, it was one of my first soaps and I wasn't in love with it. Today I used the white and while it's true it never gets as slick as I'm used to, I still don't get nicks when I use it, plus the smell and feel are good.

Metro and Kokak like this.
  15. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

I have tried close to 20 soaps and have yet to try any of the Proraso soaps. This write up has inspired me to order a tub of the Red and Green (due to arrive today).

Demidog and LevelupShaves like this.
  16. LevelupShaves

Awesome I'm sure you'll like it.

Kokak and Demidog like this.
  17. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

I love the white balm. Very slick and soothing. I use the white pre shave on my neck. Like the red soap. Have the green tube. And love the green as with my own added menthol.

All in all a great line. I'm interested in their more expensive AS but want to smell in person given the higher price point.

Kokak and Demidog like this.
  18. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I have tried two of the colognes from the new lineup and the aftershaves presumably smell the same or similar. Cypress and Vetyver smells like zesty lemongrass and Wood & Spice smells like saffron and freshly snapped (cedarwood) twigs. Wood & Spice has a good amount of sweetness to it due to the woody quality. I haven't tried Azur Lime yet.

Overall they are very good scents that I would recommend. I still would have preferred colognes of the classic fragrances, especially green and blue, but Proraso did a good job with the new stuff.

Rhody and Kokak like this.
  19. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I have all four flavors of the Proraso line.
    • The red is my favorite, as the sandalwood scent is lovely.
    • The blue follows second, as the scent is really nice and clean (Anise?) and great post shave .
    • The white is like a hybrid form of the green and the blue. Scent and menthol like the green and feels like the blue.
    • The green is my least favorite, but by no means do I dislike it in the least!

I find that the addition of lots of water to the lather improves the slickness. I only use a straight and having the correct water content in my lather is critical to providing a good shave. I have many soaps, both tallow and veg; I reach often for a tube/tub of Proraso. Last night was the white:)

Yehuda D and Kokak like this.
  20. chevyguy

I need to try the white version. I wish they made the blue in the tub. Sandalwood is my favorite too.

Clayton

Yehuda D, Kokak and Spyder like this.