Should I tempt fate with a feather?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Yossarian04, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Yossarian04

Yossarian04 Well-Known Member

I'm only about 1.5 weeks into DE shaving and have tried a few different blades. I'm curious to try shaving with a feather, but I hear that feathers are an "advanced" blade. I've only cut myself once so far. Should I just suck it up and give it a whirl?

So far I've used:

Green 7'oclock
    Astra SP
    GSB
    Nacet
    Derby

Bama Samurai likes this.
  2. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I started with Feathers.

If you're only a week and a half into DE shaving I'd suggest sticking with one blade, one razor, one soap/cream, one brush, etc for awhile, maybe a month.

You need to get your technique in shape first before changing too much of your gear.

Zykris, geogil, Newcreature and 5 others like this.
  3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That is good advise.

Zykris, geogil and gmaugie007 like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup.

However, don't believe all the bunk of the Feather being an "advanced" blade. All blades are sharp, that's why we buy them, and all blades will cut you if your techniqueis sloppy or if you fail to pay attention to what you're doing.

You want to try them? Go for it.

geogil, 1976MGB, Jim99 and 5 others like this.
  5. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

:signs011:

RyX likes this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

And on the flip side, there is no such thing as a beginner blade.

Show me a blade that has never cut or nicked anyone, and I'll show you a blade that doesn't shave.

Zykris, Newcreature, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :signs011:

Zykris likes this.
  8. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

I find that Derbys demand a bit of pressure while Feathers tolerate none. For that reason I advise not sequencing blades in that order.

P.S.
    I've never had a good shave from a Feather. YMMV.

9. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Feathers are considered the sharpest blades out there. Of course, there are "sharpness charts" out there, and they all state GSBs are up at the top of sharpness too, and you have already used one of those.

While I can agree that learning technique is important, I think the blade is the least of your worries if you are actually paying attention to your angles.

I say go for it.

10. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I started out with Feathers. No worries, especially if your technique is solid. As others have said, though, it usually works out best to stick with the same razor, blade, cream or soap, and brush until you develop good technique. This could take a month or more, but the learning process can be fun. You should eventually be able to get a fine shave with most any DE razor and blade.

Welcome to DE shaving. It's a blast, and I award you a Feather Likey Man.

mini.png

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    RyX and AGHisBBS like this.
  11. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

IMHO, 5 different blades in a week and a half seems a bit excessive. What worked for me, and many, many, others was to focus on one razor/blade combo for a 30 day rule. Have that be a feather, if you'd prefer. Head on over to the 30 Day Rule/Focus thread for some good feedback!

Missing Lynx, MaxG, RyX and 6 others like this.
  12. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

For the rest of my life I'll NEVER use a Feather blade again. Although I agree that these blades are top-notch, the last time I used one turned out to be just short of bloody butchery on my face. I couldn't even finish my first pass.

wristwatchb likes this.
  13. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

So, Jeff, I suppose you stopped using Feathers cold turkey. :Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily:

14. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

You better believe it!

wristwatchb and Linuxguile like this.
  15. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Cold turkey ? He must have put menthol on it! :happy102:

wristwatchb likes this.
  16. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

I'm guessing frozen turkey.

+1 on the 30 day focus recommendation. Changing up your gear slows down your learning at the beginning.

Also +1 on not being scared of a feather as long as you have good technique.

Finally +1 on joining the 30 Day Rule thread. Great guys who will answer your questions and accelerate your learning. Also a very nice & entertaining group of guys (if not a bit crazy).

17. Yossarian04

Yossarian04 Well-Known Member

Sounds good! Honestly I may just grab a pack of Astras and roll with those for a while. They seemed to give the best all around shave for me. I'll join the 30 day rule and try to adhere.

wristwatchb, RyX, jtspartan and 3 others like this.
  18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I finally bought a tuck of Feathers, and really, I didn't see what all the hype is about. I think if you have good technique, you can shave with just about anything. I'd rather spend 10 cents a blade than a 50 cents a blade any day. I see where you can get a hundred for $36.50, so that is about 37 cents a blade. Is it that much better. I don't know. It certainly beats the carts.

19. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Can you say 30 Day Rule? I knew you could. ;)

wristwatchb, RyX and swarden43 like this.
  20. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Amen Deacon!

RyX and swarden43 like this.