PIF's sent outside the U.S.A.

Discussion in 'Freebies' started by Douglas Carey, Jun 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

If you are sending a PIF outside the U.S. A. send it USPS. If you send it FedEx or UPS there will be custom and duty and taxes charged. It can amount to quit a lot.
    If you receive a PIF and want to send a Amazon gift card make sure you go to the country the person lives in and use the Amazon from that country. IE. https//www.amazon.ca for Canada, https://www.amazon.co.uk/ for the UK. Again sent the PIF through the postal service of the country of origin.

This will save the person receiving the PIF or gift a far amount of money.

2. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Great advice, in Korea FedEx, DHL and UPS are terrible it always gets delayed in customs and they take forever to deliver. In korea the postal system is excellent, it sails through customs in a day and I never have to pay customs for shave gear and delivered the next day. If the package has my phone number I get a text telling me they will deliver package and another to tell me it was delivered.

BeShaved, mrchick and Douglas Carey like this.
  3. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I have a friend that lives in Montreal, Quebec Canada. I sent her an item, she sent me a check from her Canadian Bank. I deposited it in my Wells Fargo account, what a CF it turned out to be. She ended up sending me a postal money order. I took it to the USPS to cash it.

4. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good to know in case I send you something.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Keithmax likes this.
  5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:eatdrink047:

Douglas Carey likes this.
  6. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

Sound advice. And it's not only the duty and taxes. UPS and FedEx also charge a service fee for handling that import duty paperwork - sometimes that fee is higher than the duty amount itself :eek:

Keithmax and Douglas Carey like this.
  7. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Buuuut.. sending USPS is not a guarantee :( It depends on the value of the box content, but that also goes for FedEX, DHL or whomever gets the service.

Here it's 80 DKK that divides whether I'm "fined" or not, no matter the carrier. 80 DKK is around 12 USD.

There's a fee no matter the carrier as well. That is, if it gets handled at customs. That being said, sending USPS from the states to, eg., Denmark leaves a higher chance of it flying under the radar. But it's no guarantee whatsoever I'm afraid.

Keithmax likes this.
  8. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I've sent a razor to the UK, USPS sometime back. I just had to declare that the value was less than (I cannot remember) a certain amount, so the buyer wouldn't incur any additional fees. Otherwise it went smooth and the razor was delivered without a hitch.

Douglas Carey, mrchick and Keithmax like this.
  9. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

$25.00 or less I believe.

Spyder and twhite like this.
  10. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I find USPS works the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Keithmax, Spyder and Douglas Carey like this.
  11. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Your right Tom. :happy088:

Keithmax and Spyder like this.
  12. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

The worst thing is that FedEx and DHL put a hefty handling charge on top of the tax ... and lose packages, and then give you terrible customer service.

I am not opposed to paying the tax (higher taxes are the consequence of our system), but I do not want to reward those shipping companies for doing nothing.

When you get a package from Singapore or China, it *always* arrives (in my experience) ... how's that, FedEx?

From the USA, my best experiences are actually with USPS, the plain shipping option without extra services (like insurance, which is a pain when you need it anyway). USPS have (or had?) a small packages service which was actually very good.

As always, just *my* personal experience.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  13. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I agree.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.