Kokak's Safety Razor journey...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Kokak, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 33: Tue@830AM
    4th of July morning shave ...

Prep: Stirling Lime Pre-Shave Oil
    Shaving Soap: Sapone Di Paolo Arancione (Sweet Orange)
    Shaving Bowl: Fine Lather Bowl
    Brush: RazorRock Bruce Handle Plissoft (24 mm x 57 mm)
    Razor: Gillette Slim Q4 of '63 (I4) (setting #4)
    Blade: Astra SP (1)
    Direction: WTG - XTG - WTG
    Splash: Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill
    Balm: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm

Happy 4th of July!!!
    Got a new razor in last night so after thoroughly cleaning it and disinfecting it over night, I decided to try it out this morning. As for the 'theme' of today's shave; I decided on a blend of Citrus scents and I was not disappointing.
    I paired the Lime Pre-Shave Oil with the Sweet Orange SDP Shave Soap and finished it off with a generous splash of Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill Aftershave. Citrus perfection is the only way to describe the results.
    The Gillette Slim on setting #4 was very efficient and incredibly smooth. I did have 1 weeper, on my chin, but otherwise it was just perfect. My skin was a little dry, the past couple of days, so I started using the Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm again. When my wife came downstairs she couldn't help herself and came up close and took in a deep sniff and just smiled! This is definitely the start of a very nice day.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    Tiredricefarmer likes this.
  2. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 34: Wed@630AM
    Morning shave ...

Prep: Stirling Bergamot & Lavender Pre-Shave Oil
    Shaving Soap: Stirling Barbershop
    Razor: Rockwell 6S (#4)
    Blade: Astra SP (5)
    Splash: PAA Good Vibrations

Ahh... what a nice start to my day.
    Pre-shave oil: Check
    Slick, thick lather: Check
    Uber soft brush: Check
    Adjustable Razor (#4): Check
    Aftershave splash: Check
    Moisturizing balm: Check

All I can say... is I am ready for the day.

Tiredricefarmer likes this.
  3. capsfanx

capsfanx Well-Known Member

Just read through this whole thread. Good stuff! Enjoyed reading about your journey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kokak likes this.
  4. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 35: Thu@430AM
    Morning shave ...

Shaving Soap: Sapone Di Paolo Cremoso (Coconut & Vanilla)
    Blade: Feather NEW Hi-Stainless (1)
    Splash: Stirling Piacenza / Bergamot & Lavender

Tried a couple of new things this morning and am very pleased.
    1st: I tried a Feather blade for the first time. I have read all the warnings about how sharp they are. So to say I was overly cautious would be an understatement. The shave went PERFECT. In fact, this must have been the closest shave I have had to date! No cuts, no weepers and no irritation. Don't get me wrong, this blade deserves you attention and respect when being used. This setup was; smooth and efficient. Resulting in a BBS shave.
    2nd: I combined 2 aftershaves. I like both the Piacenza and Bergamot & Lavender splashes by Stirling. So I decided to add a splash of the Bergamot to the Piacenza and the result was a very nice clean scent.
    I think I need to order a supply of Feathers today.

Terry Williams likes this.
  5. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 36: Fri@700AM
    Happy Friday shave ...

Prep: Stirling Bergamot & Lavender Pre-Shave Oil
    Shaving Soap: Tabac
    Blade: Feather NEW Hi-Stainless (2)
    Splash: Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill / Bergamot & Lavender (+Menthol)
    Balm: none

The only way to describe this mornings shave is... Tabastic!
    The Feather blade is soooo awesome in the Rockwell, I can't believe I am getting such a close shave, without having to go ATG. I did have 1 weeper (Adam's Apple), due to faulty technique. But WOW! My lathering technique is so much improved that I was able to make an incredibly slick and cushiony (is that a real word?) lather that allowed the Feather to slide across my skin, with no resistance.
    I also blended 2 of my favorite Stirling splashes for a very nice scent, with a menthol KICK!

6. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 36: Fri@800PM
    note*

I bought 2 straight razors last night and should have them next week. I have decided to broaden my traditional wet shaving skills to include straight razors as well safety razors. I will include my straight razor adventures in this journal as well.

7. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 36: Fri@930PM
    Friday Night cleanup...

Prep: Cold Water Rinse
    Shaving Soap: Captain's Choice 45th Parallel
    Brush: RazorRock Monster Plissoft (26 mm x 63 mm)
    Razor: Gillette 109 (setting #2)
    Blade: Gillette SB (4)
    Direction: WTG - ATG
    Splash: Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill / Bergamot & Lavender (+Menthol)

So I received my Italian Barber brush order this afternoon (Monster and 400). So I thought I would do a test lather of the Monster Plissoft 26mm brush this evening. Man is this BIG. I am not a little guy but this brush is rightfully named the "Monster". My 1st time lathering with it was so-so. But I attribute that to never using a brush this big before (technique or lack there of). It is soft and it can hold a lot of lather. It was very soft, but still had adequate backbone to get the job done, comfortably. If you like synthetic brushes and you like really big brushes, you will love this brush.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  8. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 37: Sat@900AM
    Morning Brush test...

Shaving Soap: Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill
    Brush: RazorRock #400 Handle Noir Plissoft (24 mm x 57 mm)
    Blade: Feather NEW Hi-Stainless (3)
    Splash: Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill / PAA Good Vibrations

Just a typical morning cleanup while testing another new brush. This was my 1st lathering with the RR 400 Plissoft. I really think RazoRock has created some great brushes. The 400 is really a perfect size brush with tons of backbone. For anyone who is looking for a brush with lots of backbone, yet still soft on the tips, this brush will fill that niche perfectly.
    The Feather blade is still performing incredibly well.
    The only bad thing was... I decided to blend Stirling's Glacial Lemon Chill with PAA Good Vibrations. This was a very bad thing. I am used to the normal Menthol "burn" and like it. But the sensation I had was more on the lines of a HOT burn. In fact my face became flushed and warm to then touch. When I noticed that the pain was not subsiding, but intensifying. I rinsed my face, repeatedly, with cold water until the burning subsided. I will not be blending those 2 Aftershaves again.

9. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 37: Sat@1000AM
    New Brush Pics...

[​IMG]

10. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 38: Sun @300PM
    Luxurious Afternoon shave...

Shaving Soap: Stirling Bergamot Lavender
    Blade: Feather NEW Hi-Stainless (4)
    Splash: Stirling Sandalwood / Bergamot Lavender (+Menthol)

Was rushed this morning so I didn't get to shave till this afternoon. I really am finding myself looking forward to each shave now. When I missed my shave this morning, my routine was disrupted and my morning just felt off.
    The RR Monster brush performed flawlessly. Be advised; this brush EATS soap. Because of its size it takes a bit more soap to load and whip up a luxurious lather. I am not worried about this, I have enough soaps to go through, so going through them a little quicker... not a bad thing. This brush is soooooo soft.
    I also retired the Feather blade after this shave. It was starting to drag across my skin, so until my order of Feathers comes in, it's back to the Astra SP and Gillette SB.

11. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 39: Mon @730AM
    Morning shave...

Shaving Soap: PAA Cavendish
    Blade: Personna Blue (1)

Great morning shave. I really like the pipe tobacco scent of this soap. Very luxurious and just relaxing. The performance of the soap is just great and the soft tips of the monster brush applies the lather flawlessly.
    The Personna Blue blade performed well. Nothing that knocked my socks off. But it did not disappoint. It performed as well as the Astra SP blades I enjoy using.

12. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 39: Mon @1030PM
    Evening shave...

Shaving Soap: Catie's Bubbles Tonsorial Parlour
    Blade: Personna Blue (2)
    Splash: Stirling Bergamot Lavender (+Menthol) / Glacial Lemon Chill

Since tomorrow is a carpool day, I decided to have an evening shave in place of tomorrows. I just don't want to be rushed and I enjoy my shaves so much now that I actually schedule the appropriate time for my shaves, 30 minutes (including cleanup).
    Just another perfect shave. I did notice; after each pass, the Catie's Bubbles would leave my face feeling a little dry. Once I applied a little water (with a wash cloth) the slickness would immediately return.
    The Personna Blue blade is working well. At $12 /100, not a bad deal. Still prefer my Astra SP @ $10 /100 but these would fill a need, if I wasn't able to get any Astra SP blades.

13. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 40: Tue @900PM
    Evening shave...

Shaving Soap: Pre de Provence No. 63
    Razor: Rockwell 6S (#3)
    Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless (1)
    Splash: PAA Good Vibrations

Received another delivery of goods this afternoon. Among everything else I received:
    • Pre de Provence No. 63
    • Chiseled Face Pre-Shave Gel
    • 1920's Gillette Ball Open Comb Razor
    • Barrister and Mann "42"
    • 100 Feather Blades
    So a shave was in order. The PDP was great. The scent was nice. The lather was thick and provided great cushion. The post shave feel was also very nice. Over all it was a great shave. Between the soap and the Monster brush, I had to use a lot of water to get the lather where I wanted it. Not a bad thing, but just an observation.
    I did change the plate to the #3 plate, just to see how it performed with the new Feather blade. No cuts or weepers, but my face was not as smooth as it usually is after shaving with the #4 plate and a Feather blade. So I will go back to the #4 plate, for now.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  14. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 41: Wed @800PM
    Evening shave...

Shaving Soap: Barrister & Mann "42"
    Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless (2)
    Splash: Fine Italian Citrus

So... I had a little time today after work and decided to go down to the Old Town Shaving Company in Pasadena, after work. I really like this place. I enjoy walking around the 2 rooms of displays. Open different soaps and taking in the fragrances of the different 'TESTER: aftershaves. The selection, while not everything, is very large. The place also just has a rustic feel to it. Well, like usual, I was not able to leave without at least picking up 1 new soap and aftershave. For the soap I chose B&M Leviathan. The aftershave was Fines' Italian Citrus. Both of these had incredible scents. But as you can tell, I used B&M's "42" for tonight's shave.
    The soap was AWESOME! The lather exploded in my bowl, as soon as the Monster Brush touched it. The resulting lather provided great slickness and cushion. Post shave was also great. The scent, while subtle was distinct. I am not sure about my feelings of the scent. But I figure after a few more dates with it, I will have my final decision.
    Even though my 2 straights came in today. I plan on starting my path down the Straight Razor Darkside this weekend. At a time when I am not being rushed and there are no distractions. These blades are incredible. I can hardly wait. My Tony Miller Strop is due in tomorrow. So I will be hanging it my shave room Friday night.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  15. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 42: Fri @700AM
    Morning shave...

Prep: Stirling Barbershop Pre-Shave Oil
    Shaving Soap: Stirling Piacenza
    Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless (3)

So I was too tired last night for my typical evening shave and waited till this morning. What a FANTASTIC way to start the weekend! I have always enjoyed all of my Stirling products (Pre-Shave Oil/Bath Soap/Shave Soaps/Aftershaves/Balms), so I knew exactly what to expect. I am really also liking the Fine aftershave I am using. The Italian Citrus is my wife's favorite post shave scent, so far.
    The Feather blade in the Rockwell 6S is just fanatically smooth and super efficient. No irritation, cuts or weepers and a near BBS shave, without even trying. I have not been able to stop touching my cheeks and chin all morning (post shave).
    My Tony Miller Strop arrived last night and I will be mounting a hook for it tomorrow morning. Tomorrow I plan on adventuring into the realm of straight razor shaving by using my TANIFUJI 'FAVORIT' (pictured below). I plan to only start with my cheeks and see how it goes from there. If need be, I will cleanup with my Rockwell. More to come.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  16. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 42: Fri @845PM
    1st Straight Razor shave...

Prep: Stirling Bergamot Lavender Pre-Shave Oil
    Shaving Soap: Stirling Lime
    Straight Razor: Tanifuji 'FAVORIT' 750 6/8" (1)
    Blade: NA
    Direction: WTG - WTG - WTG
    Splash: Stirling Orange (+Menthol) and Sandalwood (+Menthol)
    Strop: none

OK...
    So I just finished my 1st shave this evening. I was terrified, to say the least but once I started, the nerves were gone and I was just concentrating on the shave. I was very happy with how the shave went. I had 2 small weepers and a couple of irritated areas after all was said and done. But no major cuts.
    I need to work on how I hold my blade while shaving so I don't block my view. I also need to work on using my left hand. I have survived and will be able to shave another day.
    BTW... Styptic pencils hurt like heck!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  17. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 43: Sat @530PM
    2nd Straight Razor shave...

Prep: Stirling Bergamot Lavender Pre-Shave Oil
    Shaving Soap: B & M Leviathan
    Brush: RazorRock Chubby #506 Handle Extra Silvertip Badger (27.5 mm x 51 mm)
    Straight Razor: Tanifuji 'FAVORIT' 750 6/8" (2)
    Direction: WTG - WTG
    Splash: Stirling Bergamot Lavender (+Menthol) and Sandalwood (+Menthol)
    Strop: Tony Miller 3" Fast Bridle Leather "Plain Chocolate" (5x Linen and 20x Leather)

[​IMG]

The cheeks were easy tonight. So I got a little cocky and tried the chin and upper lip. I payed in pain (styptic pencil) and blood for my arrogance. I will keep working on only my cheeks until I am completely comfortable with both hands.

18. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 44: Sun @900PM
    3rd Straight Razor shave...

Shaving Soap: TOBS Sandalwood Cream
    Razor: Tanifuji 'FAVORIT' 750 6/8" (3)
    Cleanup: Gillette FATBOY (#2)
    Strop: Tony Miller 3" Fast Bridle Leather "Plain Chocolate" (20x Linen and 50x Leather)

[​IMG]
    I am still recovering from some irritation and nicks on the right side of my neck and upper lip. So these areas, I avoided with the straight razor tonight. I worked on using my left hand for the left side of my face. All in all, everything went very well. No nicks, cuts or irritation in any of the areas I used the straight razor on. I avoided my chin and upper lip completely.
    I used my FATBOY set on #2 for cleanup. It will be at least a couple of days before I can even think about trying the right side of my neck and upper lip with a straight razor again (due to the irritation I still have).
    I also stropped my razor this evening. 20x on the canvas and 50x on the leather. I did not lift the blade off the strop at anytime and began rotating the blade onto the spine before stopping and changing directions. This way avoiding the possibility of backing into my edge.
    This was a great evening and I think things will only get better.

19. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 45: Mon @430PM
    4th Straight Razor shave...

Shaving Soap: Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill
    Razor: Tanifuji 'FAVORIT' 750 6/8" (4)
    Cleanup: Gillette FATBOY (#3)
    Strop: Tony Miller 3" Fast Bridle Leather "Plain Chocolate" (10x Linen and 20x Leather)

[​IMG]

So I just completed 2 passes with the Tanifuji SR. I avoided the right side of my neck (it's still irritated) and the right side of my upper lip (it's still recovering too). Still need to really work on getting the upper lip and chin area better, bit otherwise it was a great shave. There was little to no audible feedback during my cleanup with the FATBOY for any of the areas I covered with the straight razor.
    Using my left hand, is becoming easier but I do find myself crossing over when I shave under my jaw and towards the center of the left side of my neck. I can't believe how smooth my face is feeling after my shaves.
    I am wondering if a 5/8" blade maybe a little more manageable for me, right now as I am just devolving my technique. This thought has led me to ordering a Sight Unseen from Whipped Dog. That and the fact I just like having lots of steal on the self above my sink.
    I stropped the razor when I was finished; 10x on the linen and 20x on the leather.

20. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 46: Tue @800PM
    5th Straight Razor shave...

Shaving Soap: Proraso Red (Sandalwood)
    Razor: Tanifuji 'FAVORIT' 750 6/8" (5)
    Cleanup: none
    Direction: WTG
    Splash: Stirling Orange Chill and Sandalwood (+Menthol)
    Strop: Tony Miller 3" Fast Bridle Leather "Plain Chocolate" (20x Linen and 60x Leather)

[​IMG]

This was my 5th SR shave and one of my 1st full face shaves with the SR. I opted for a single pass shave, just to minimize any irritation and it would give me an excuse for a cleanup shave in the morning. Other than the left side of my upper lip, it went really well. I am getting my technique down and shaving with my left hand is becoming more natural. I have no illusions that I am a long way from having this down but what a difference from my 1st attempt.
    This was also my 1st time using Proraso (any of the scents) and I am happy with it. At $10 a tub (delivered via Amazon) you can't go wrong. It was easy to lather and provided lots of cushion. The only thing I noticed is the lather would dry pretty quickly (compared to something like Tabac) and it did dry out my skin just a bit. I am sure if my shaves were a little quicker, these 2 issues would disappear.
    The one thing I did change, which I am sure helped with the overall quality of this shave; was the use of Alum on my finger tips to help with traction for stretching my skin. This made the full face shave possible and comfortable, I'm sure.