Kokak's Safety Razor journey...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Kokak, Jun 4, 2017.

1. capsfanx

capsfanx Well-Known Member

I am wanting to get a Straight Razor also.....trying to learn a bit through your adventures, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kaladin and Kokak like this.
  2. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Feel free to ask any questions you want. While I probably won't be able to tell you what to do or how to make your shave better. I certainly will be able to tell you what not to do and what to expect if you choose to do it anyway.

Kaladin and capsfanx like this.
  3. capsfanx

capsfanx Well-Known Member

Once I get one I definitely will reach out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kokak likes this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The overwhelming majority of used razors on the market will likely be this width (5/8").
    Historically, or at least into the 20th century of SR manufacturing, 5/8" seems to be the accepted (expected?) standard for most SRs.
    Is there really a significantly-noticeable difference when using a 5/8" versus 6/8"?
    Perhaps. Since you're early on in your SR journey, you may find that 1/8" difference may help make the whole process of navigating the blade about your face a bit easier.

Kokak likes this.
  5. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 47: Wed @930AM
    6h Straight Razor shave...

Prep: Stirling Bergamot Lavender Pre-Shave Oil
    Shaving Soap: Proraso Green (Menthol)
    Shaving Bowl: Fine Lather Bowl
    Brush: RazorRock Monster Plissoft (26 mm x 63 mm)
    Razor: Hayashi Diamond #77 13/16" (1)
    Cleanup: none
    Direction: WTG
    Splash: PAA Good Vibrations
    Balm: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm
    Strop: Tony Miller 3" Fast Bridle Leather "Plain Chocolate" (15x Linen and 25x Leather)

[​IMG]

So 1st time using this blade. While it didn't need to be stropped (came very much shave ready), I did anyway just for practice. Man is this thing SHARP. I made a rookie mistake and rested the razors edge on my upper cheek and almost immediately could feel it's bite. This was another 1 pass, full face shave. Other than the error on my cheek. The only other problem I had was right under my nose. Everything else was perfect. Cheeks, chin and neck, all without any irritation. I am not even thinking about DFS or BBS shaves. Even if not trying, I look 100% better than I did before I started traditional wet shaving (straight or DE razor).
    This mornings Proraso Green was the soap I chose and it was great. I think I did not use enough water last night and my lather was a little dry. But today I was aiming for Yogurt not Marshmallow Cream and that was the ticket.
    Things are going so well with a straight razor I am starting to wonder; what will I do with all my DE shaving stuff?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    BigMark83 likes this.
  6. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

I will definitely compare my shave with the 5/8", once it arrives. This is also why I tried the 13/16" this morning.

7. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 47: Wed @1000PM
    7th Straight Razor shave...

Prep: Stirling Unscented Pre-Shave Oil
    Shaving Soap: Catie's Bubbles Sunrise
    Razor: Tanifuji 'FAVORIT' 750 6/8" (6)
    Splash: Fine Italian Citrus
    Strop: Tony Miller 3" Fast Bridle Leather "Plain Chocolate" (15x Linen and 25x Leather)

[​IMG]

So another shave in the books. I think I will be putting my straight razor shaves on hold for a week or so. This will be to allow a couple of small cuts to heal and just give my face a little down time. I will still use my Rockwell to keep me clean shaven bu the straight razors will stay on the shelf until next weekend.
    I had an epiphany last night while shaving... When I draw the razor across my face. I need to lock my wrist and use my hand/wrist/arm as a single unit. It looks strange, but as soon as I started to do this, all pressure on the razor was gone and the blade slid across my face and did it's job without irritation or incident.
    After making this change in my approach, the rest of may shave was AWESOME! I probably was getting in trouble by me inadvertently trying to sweep my blade with my wrist instead of drawing it with my arm.

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  8. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 48: Thu@430PM
    8th Straight Razor shave (new razor)...

Shaving Soap: Proraso Green
    Razor: Hibbard, Spencer & Bartlett Co. "Rattler" 9/16" (1)
    Cleanup: Rockewell 6S (#4)
    Strop: Tony Miller 3" Fast Bridle Leather "Plain Chocolate" (10x Leather)

[​IMG]

I know I said I would give using a Straight Razor a break but wouldn't you know it... a new (to me) straight arrived in the mail today. I had ordered a "Sight Unseen" from Whipped Dog and it arrived in "Shave Ready" condition. So after a quick bushing with toothpaste and a 30 minute soak in Listerine, I just had to take it for a test drive.
    Other than some black rust, which I intend to buff out, once I get to a place where I need to hone the razor, the razors size and sharpness or very nice.
    I only shaved my cheeks and neck, avoiding my chin and upper lip. after words I did a single quick cleanup pass with the Rockwell DE for DFS results.

9. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 49: Fri@700AM
    9th Straight Razor shave...

Shaving Soap: Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber
    Razor: "Rattler" 9/16" (2)
    Cleanup: Rockewell 6S (#4)
    Splash: Stirling Bergamot Lavender (+Menthol) and Sandalwood (+Menthol)
    Strop: Tony Miller 3" Fast Bridle Leather "Plain Chocolate" (15x Linen 25x Leather)

I had a meeting this morning, so a cleanup was in order (my just an excuse to shave). I also had received a sample of Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber, so I thought I would give it a try. In order not to show up to my meeting looking like hamburger, I opted just to shave my cheeks and neck with the straight razor and cleanup my chin and upper lip with my Rockwell.
    At this point I am really only dialing in using my left hand (I am right handed) when shaving the left side of my face. It's getting better, but there is still lots of work to be done.
    Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber; performed like a CHAMP! While I am not a fan of the scent (reminds me of laundry detergent) there was no denying that this soap is slick and protective. I may have to take a trip down to the local shave shop and sniff through some of their Chiseled Face stock and see what I like...

10. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Day 50: Sat@900AM
    10th Straight Razor shave...

Prep: Stirling Barbershop Pre-Shave Oil
    Shaving Soap: PAA Cavendish
    Razor: "Rattler" 9/16" (3)
    Direction: WTG - WTG
    Splash: Stirling Lime (+Menthol), Bergamot Lavender (+Menthol) and Sandalwood (+Menthol)
    Strop: Tony Miller 3" Fast Bridle Leather "Plain Chocolate" (15x Linen 25x Leather)

[​IMG]

I decided to buff out some of the Black Rust on my new razor. So afterwords I gave it a quick test shave, to make sure no damage was done to the edge. I am happy to report; everything was okay. The razor shave just as it did before my cleanup with the Dremel.
    The only thing I really need to work on right now is using my left hand. Everything went well, except for my upper lip, while using my left hand. I just need to keep at it and I know it will eventually fell natural to be using my left hand.

All in all, a great start to a nice weekend.

11. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20170723 Sun@0630
    Rockwell shave: 40

Shaving Soap: Proraso Red (Sandalwood)
    Razor: Rockwell 6S (#4)
    Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless (3)
    Direction: WTG - XTG - WTG
    Splash: Bergamot lavender (+Menthol) and Sandalwood (+Menthol)

Really rushed shave. Woke up late and needed to be at church before 0800. So no time for a relaxed morning shave. Whipped up a sloppy Proraso lather, slapped it on and ran the Rockwell razor across my face for 3 passes. I have to say; not irritation, nicks, cuts or weepers. Another DFS result from the Rockwell, even while only paying 1/2 attention. I usually spend 40 - 45 minutes shaving (including cleanup). Today, 18 minutes (including cleanup).

12. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20170802 Wed@0715
    Rockwell shave: 41

Shaving Soap: Soap Commander Charisma (Melon and Citrus)
    Brush: RazorRock Chubby #506 Handle Extra Silvertip Badger (27.5 mm x 51 mm)
    Razor: Rockwell 6S (#4)
    Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless (4)
    Direction: WTG - XTG
    Splash: Bergamot lavender (+Menthol)

This morning I have several meetings and wanted a cleanup form last nights straight razor shave. So I broke out the Rockwell that still had my Feather blade in it and had a quick 2 pass shave, for BBS results. No irritation, no nicks or cuts. Just smooth dolphin skin afterwards. This shave was on autopilot, as I was planning my strategies for today's meetings. I love shaving with my straights and since I started shaving with a straight razor, I have just about stopped shaving with any of my DE razors (except for the upper lip and some cleanup).
    Shaving with the Rockwell this morning has brought back the appreciation for this great little razor.

13. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I have "Sunrise" also. How are you liking it? For me it's rapidly becoming my go to for Menthol Monday.

Kokak likes this.
  14. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

It's one of my favorites.

15. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20170825 Fri@0715

Prep: Stirling Lime Pre-Shave Oil
    Shaving Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
    Brush: Stirling Boar Brush (24 mm x 57 mm)
    Straight Razor: Rockwell 6C (#4) WTG - XTG - WTG
    Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless (1)
    Splash: Humphreys Witch Hazel
    Splash: Stirling Bergamot Lavender (+Menthol) + Orange Chill (+Menthol) + Sandalwood (+Menthol)

Just got the Rockwell 6C in last night and decided to give it a go; it has been a while since I used a Rockwell DE. I am truly amazed at how easy this razor is to use and how close a shave I get with the #4 plate and a Feather Blade. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation and the post shave feel of the MWF is incredible! BBS results from a relaxing 3 pass shave. It's going to be a great weekend!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  16. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20170826 Sat@1550

Shaving Soap: Soap Commander Fortitude
    Straight Razor: Rockwell 6C (#4) WTG - XTG
    Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless (3)
    Splash: Stirling Bergamot Lavender (+Menthol) + Orange Chill (+Menthol) + Sandalwood (+Menthol)

Being that my straight razors need a touch-up on my hones, I opt'd for the DE this afternoon. Not to mention the new 6C's chrome just catches my eye every time I walk by my Shaving sink. I went through some of my samples and found one from Soap Commander (Fortitude). My review is below. The shave was a quick 2 pass shave that pretty much left me BBS. I am really enjoying the learning process of becoming proficient with a straight razor. But I do not think I will ever permanently put away my DE razor and just use a straight (exclusively).

Soap Commander Fortitude (Hay, Tobacco & Rum)
    Ease to Lather: 7
    Lather Volume: 9
    Slickness: 8
    Scent Strength: 6
    Scent:8
    Post Shave Feel: 8
    Cost: $15.00 (6 oz tub from Soap Commander)

This is the 3rd soap from Soap Commander I have tried (Commitment and Charisma) and it has the best scent of the 3. The performance was the same across all 3 soaps and is a very good performing soap overall. When you take into account the price point of this soap, $2.50 per oz., there is no reason not to have this soap in your den.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  17. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20170827 Sun@1445

Shaving Soap: Soap Commander Fortitude
    Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless (4)

This was a nice relaxing afternoon shave. I was pretty much on cruise control for the shave and finished with BBS results. There was a single weeper on my neck, I had forgotten to stretch the skin during the XTG pass. I didn't feel it happen. Soap Commanders Fortitude will be my next soap purchase, I really like the way this soap performs and smells.

18. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20170829 Tue@2245

Shaving Soap: Lisa's Natural Creations (Tobacco & Bay) **
    Shaving Bowl: Jays Clay's "Best Grip Lather Bowl"
    Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless (5)
    Balm: none

So I received a few items this past week and I decided to test a couple of them. I received 2 tubs of Lisa's Natural Creations Shaving Soap and a Jays Clay's "Best Grip" Lather Bowl. The reviews for the soap will be below. The shave was a great 2 pass shave with near BBS results (but good enough). The boar brush has broken in nicely and makes an incredible lather. I have not been tempted to use any of my other brushes. Likewise, the Rockwell 6C is just as good as the 6S. I actually like the look of the 6C better (always did like shiny things).

Lisa's Natural Creations (Tobacco & Bay)
    Ease to Lather: 7
    Scent Strength: 7
    Scent:8
    Post Shave Feel: 8
    Cost: $7.70 (3.5 oz puck from Lisa's Natural Creations)

The scent of the soap was really nice. I am finding myself drawn towards Citrus and Tobacco these days. The soap did not bowl lather as well as say a Stirling, but the cushion and volume once I started working the brush on my face was thick and slick. The scent was really nice and was present for both of the passes. The price point was also really nice (@ $2.20 per oz.). Post shave feel was very pleasant. I would recommend giving Lisa's soaps a try.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  19. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20170830 Wed@1900

Shaving Soap: Long Rifle Hunting Lodge **
    Shaving Bowl: Jays Clay's "Best Grip Lather Bowl
    Straight Razor: Rockwell 6C (#4) WTG - XTG - WTG
    Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless (6)
    Balm: none

Ouch... I had not been paying attention to how many shaves I have had on this Feather blade so this shave while irritation free for my face, my neck was a different story. The XTG on my neck left it very irritated. I didn't realize this was my 6th shave on this blade (until now) and will never let this happen again. 4 will be my max, even if the 4th shave is smooth and irritation free. I was also trying a new tub of Long Rifle Hunting Lodge soap and the review is below.

Long Rifle Hunting Lodge (Leather, Tobacco and Bay Rhum)
    Ease to Lather: 8
    Scent Strength: 8
    Scent: 9
    Post Shave Feel: 9
    Cost: $18.00 (6 oz tub from Long Rifle Soap Co)

This soap now ties for the #2 spot with Tabac on my all time best soap list. The slickness and lather comfort is outstanding. The post shave feel is right up there with MWF and the scent is great! At some point I will thin out my herd of shave soaps but this soap and it's other scents will always have a spot.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  20. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

20170902 Wed@1715
    note**

I have 2 goals this Sept.
    1. No more shave related purchase till Mid October
    2. Only to use an SE razor for SEptember
    I did just make a purchase of some Jeff's Soap (for a really good cause). But that's it, till October 20th.

BigMark83 likes this.