The Brass General Goes Stainless

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DesertTime, Jul 30, 2017.

1. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I just received this news from Colonial Razors. Fans of the Brass General will find this interesting.

"Today, we are proud to unveil to you all The General in 316L stainless steel! This version of The General weighs approximately 123 grams. It has been a joy to use over the last few days and believe many will enjoy it as well.

Over the past few months, we have followed threads on the shaving forums about the brass version and how many would like to see a knurled handle from us. Prior to releasing the 316L version, we have asked our machine shop to provide us a new handle design for assessment. This new handle will be 12.20 mm diameter, 85 mm long, and have a diamond knurled portion. If the knurled handle passes our inspection, all 316L stainless steel razors will be released with this handle.

When you look at the stainless steel artist club razor market, most razors are priced at $185+ and do not provide a better shave than The General. Our 316L version will be priced at an incredible $59.99 + shipping.

We expect to release this version in mid to late September and hope to earn your business! We will send out updates through this newsletter as we near the official release."

ss1.jpg ss2.jpg

battle.munky, ninjack, McHale and 6 others like this.
  2. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Good times indeed.... No resistance from me. I'm all in on this one! :happy096: :happy093:

DesertTime likes this.
  3. BambulanceMan

BambulanceMan Well-Known Member

Oh I need this... The RAD is acting up again...

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

cliffb599, Str8on2 and DesertTime like this.
  4. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Excellent price for a stainless. I suspect they will sell quite a few, assuming it shaves well.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

DesertTime and cliffb599 like this.
  5. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

Well, as I already have the alu and the brass, I really don't need the SS version, but the price is unbeatable so I have a couple of months to think it over.

DesertTime likes this.
  6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Hats off to Colonial Razor!! The General in aluminum or brass are fantastic, adding a SS for under $60 only means winning!
    It's never been a great time to be a wet shaver.

DesertTime likes this.
  7. DesertTime

I only have the brass, which is now my primary razor. How does the aluminum compare, shave wise? I have an aluminum AC style razor from another vendor, and it does not compare to the Brass General, IMO.

8. DesertTime

How do the two compare? I only have the brass, but they're about to release an updated aluminum.

9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

That's a nice looking razor. Hopefully the finished model looks as good as the prototype. That's also a very good price, compared to other stainless razors.

10. Kypros Christodoulides

The alu, is not as heavy, so one has to use some pressure to get the results. It's also a tad milder IMO. I used the alu extensively, but when the brass came out, I put the alu in the drawer. I hope this clears thingd up.

11. DesertTime

Cleared it up nicely, thanks.

12. Str8on2

Quick revival on this thread and update:
    As per Colonial Razors, the SS General will ship out tomorrow from their machine shop and should be ready for consumer sale sometime next week. That's per their responce via social media on Facebook earlier today.
    Woo-Hoo!!! :happy036:

DesertTime and ajc347 like this.
  13. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Certainly a very tempting razor at such a competitive price point.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Str8on2 and DesertTime like this.
  14. DesertTime

Any word on the new knurled handle?

15. Str8on2

I think they already confirmed a while back that it will ship with an 85mm knurled handle. Don't quote me on that, but I'm pretty sure it's a done deal.

DesertTime likes this.
  16. Kypros Christodoulides

There were pictures of the handle and they look fantastic, I even asked on their FB page if we can buy extras.

Str8on2 likes this.
  17. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

$59.99???!!!?? Seriously why can't other stainless steel razors be as cheap?

lightcs1776 and Str8on2 like this.
  18. Kypros Christodoulides

+1

Str8on2 likes this.
  19. Str8on2

Supply, Demand........ The biggest one though? GREED. Plain and simple. Well, maybe I shouldn't be so hasty. R&D costs, prices on exotic metals always going up and production costs and such. You are right though that a razor made of SS can be offered at such a competitive price point. Hell! That's a huge undercut from everyone else. Makes you scratch your head a bit. Can't forget RazorRock at Italian Barber. They do it too.... Great prices on their exotic metal razors....

allyourbase, DesertTime and Jorvaljr like this.
  20. DesertTime

Here's a shot of the new handle for the SS General.

general.jpg