IS a stand necessary?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Tylervanstone, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Tylervanstone

Tylervanstone Active Member

IS a stand necessary? I have a custom shaving brush being made it has a wooden handle its a badger brush
    so do I need a stand or can I go without, if I go without will I put my brush at risk?

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

For Badger, I'd recommend a stand. You'll need to let the brush air out, as natural badger hair absorbs water, and hanging bristle down is the best way to accomplish that task. Also, I do not believe we've encountered one another yet, so I'd like to say welcome to TSD!

Herm2502 likes this.
  3. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Of course, if you can buy five Fatboys you can buy a brush stand. You might need to get a custom made one however. I don't know of any with a big enough opening for the behemoth of a brush you're getting.

4. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

If it's the only brush then yeah, I'd say a stand. If you succumb to BAD, then hang it for 24 hrs. Then you can take it down and let the next brush have its turn. Once they hang dry they can be stored on the base.

5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

You can alway buy a hook and screw it in you custom brush so it looks like my Omega 40033 brush I used in Africa. :happy097:
    IMG_0150.JPG

6. Tylervanstone

Tylervanstone Active Member

that's a good idea

Bama Samurai likes this.
  7. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

A couple of drops of super glue and a couple of rare earth magnets and your all set.
    IMG_1746.JPG

8. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

A stand is not necessary, but I do use one. I feel my brushes dry faster using the stand.

9. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

I remember reading about a test someone did, measuring drying rates of brushes standing and hanging. They actually seemed to dry a bit faster standing upright. The theory was that this was due to the capillary action on the individual hairs drawing water upwards. The difference was slight however, and the more important thing to do was to ensure that the damp brush was kept out in the open to dry thoroughly rather than being locked up in a medicine cabinet or other airless space.

So either works fine as long as the damp brush isn't shut away to grow moldy.

danbuter, jtspartan, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  10. Screwtape

What a nifty idea!

cmorris357 likes this.
  11. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

Almost.
    There is a German book "Männersache Rasieren" by Christian Rieck in which he describes the experiments he did (he mostly had his students do it as an exercise in scientific experiments :D) and the result was that it doesn't make any difference. Storing the brush on its side with the knot not touching any surface improved drying times slightly, but not by much. Air circulation, humidity and how wet the brush was to start with were the main factors for how quickly the brushes dried.
    I have just realised that the wooden stands of my Pauwel Kwak Belgian beer glasses work great as brush stands, but I still can't be bothered. Besides, I need the stands for the glasses and none of them has broken yet. :D

12. Screwtape

That's the one I was thinking of. So it was lying sideways rather than standing that was faster than hanging? I knew something was faster than hanging but the difference was minimal. That fits with my experience: I have those stands made of a single loop of heavy steel wire and sometimes store my wet brushes in them knot down, sometimes knot up, and sometimes just standing upright on the sink counter. The brushes seem to dry in about the same amount of time whichever way I do it. The main benefit of the stands is to keep the brushes from being knocked around.

jtspartan and riverrun like this.
  13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

It's called a wine rack.

jtspartan, Bama Samurai and BigMark83 like this.
  14. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I personally don't use a stand for my brushes. I shake as much water as I can from the brush, then stand it up. Haven't had any problems in the 10 years I've been doing this.

Screwtape and riverrun like this.
  15. jar

jar Well-Known Member

I do both. Most brushes get used and then simple stand up on their shelf. Those that live in a carousel either hang or stand hair up in their carousel. And over the decades I have accumulated some individual stands and brushes hang or stand in them. In the half century I've been using brushes I have not found it makes any difference.

Screwtape and RyX like this.
  16. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Unnecessary.

17. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I agree that either way will work fine. That said I've always hung my brushes bristles down, only because I wanted any water to drain away from the knot, although I don't know if that would matter to how well the knot stayed attached to the handle, it just seemed like a good idea and I've always done it that way. So bottom line is your brush your choice. :)

18. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Not saying you're wrong or right, but there's another school of thought that says hanging bristles-down will actually trap water in the knot because after the actual drops dissipate, evaporation occurs. 2 cents deposited!

danbuter likes this.
  19. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I do not use a stand for any of my brushes.

Primotenore and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  20. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

What style beer is that used for ? I've had Dubls ,Tripls, Saisons, and Witbiers, and never used one of those. I've always used a chalice.