Need help for choosing a razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Stephen134, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Stephen134

Stephen134 New Member

Hello to everyone. I need to know if there's a razor of the following kind:
    - a slant bar or an open comb
    - made of pure steel or copper without hexavalent chrome, aluminium, nickel and lead
    - without plastic parts
    Thank you in advance.

RyX likes this.
  2. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

MR41 likes this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome @Stephen134 to TSD! Sounds like stainless steel or brass might be your options. There are several manufactures building new razors that may suit your needs. Since I am more into Vintage, I'll let the guys that know offer recommendations.
    You might place an ad in our Want To Buy forum.

Herm2502 likes this.
  4. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Welcome to The Den.

Lots of razors to choose from, that meet your criteria.

Blackland
    Above the Tie
    Timeless
    Charcoal Goods

Those are all good ones that are generally available.

Good luck

MR41, jtspartan and RyX like this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

How much do you want to spend??

BigMark83 likes this.
  6. Stephen134

Stephen134 New Member

The less, the better.

7. PickledNorthern

Vintage Gillette. You can probably get a hold of a nice New for $20 ish if you hunt around a bit.

MR41 likes this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Fatip Piccolo less than $20 or Fatip Grande Razor less than $25 @ Maggard's or the Italian Barber.

9. Stephen134

Stephen134 New Member

I've tried it already. Now I need something of any price.

10. PickledNorthern

Tried which?

11. Stephen134

Stephen134 New Member

Fatip Piccolo.

12. PickledNorthern

Then I would refer you back to my earlier answer.

13. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

To the best of my knowledge, there are NO razors (or just about anything else) manufactured using hexavalent chromium. It's found in the wild in some places (some wells in the Houston area, for example), but otherwise, I think the most common source is as a byproduct of electrolysis. Like those phony 'look, your water is filthy' water testers, or the supposed devices for removing foul humours by soaking your feet next to electrodes.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  14. Stephen134

Stephen134 New Member

Does anyone know any chrome-plated metal (not ZAMAK) razors then? But I still need the one without nickel, lead, aluminium.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  15. Stephen134

Stephen134 New Member

Thank you, trying it already.

16. Bookworm

Don't worry about the lead. You're not really going to find any lead based alloys used as a razor if you're staying away from ZAMAK. (for that matter, Zamak isn't supposed to have lead in it, but it's sometimes a trace contaminant) I don't know why you're avoiding nickel, however.

Anyway - find a chrome plated brass razor. That's chrome, copper, zinc. maybe tin in some alloys.

17. Stephen134

Stephen134 New Member

Nickel is toxic. I'm trying to find razors of brass with chrome but I still fail to do it. Gillette New has lead as far as I've learned.

18. PickledNorthern

It is a very simple solution. Buy polished SS. Looks as shiny as chrome, no dangerous elements to worry about.

19. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

How do you eat? Most cutlery and cookware have about 10% nickel to make it extra corrosion resistant (316 grade stainless steel). I just want to put things into perspective. Your food is probably cooked for much longer than the duration of a shave, then you eat the result with nickel containing forks and knives.

Probably you hardly remove any nickel at all during a shave, but lets imagine you actually get some very small traces of nickel off. Don't you think it would get rinsed away together with the soap after the shave? And what about the blades? Do you only use carbon steel blades instead of the stainless steel blades?

You get in contact with far more dangerous substances during the day, than what you get from a razor. Most clothes are full of chemicals (colorants, detergents, dirt repellents). Then when it comes to sofas and other furniture, you might find even more stuff. The computer you used to write these posts is pushing out really nasty toxic fumes when it gets warm. You are even able to smell them. Those chemicals are causing much illness for people over seas making the components. I could go on for a long time with all the sources of harmful substances you probably get in contact with.

So, my advice is to not worry about any razor and just shave in peace.

entropy1049 likes this.
  20. Bookworm

+1

Even lead isn't as much of a toxin as the media would have you believe. When it's bonded in alloy, it comes out only as a chemical reaction (pest), or leeched out when acids touch it. That's the main problem with lead historically - not the pipes, which scaled up and stayed safe, but the drinking vessels that people drank acidic wine out of. you could get yourself a nice lead chair, and as long as you didn't try to eat it, you wouldn't suffer.