DE Pack Review

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Zykris, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I did a three pass face shave yesterday using my same gear but used Sterling Port Au Prince. Great shave blade was still doing good. Today I did a three pass head shave with a two pass face shave using MWF. The blade is degraded down to where I think I'll pitch it. But that Gillette 7'clock gave me about five really good shaves!

2. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I couldn't help myself and decided, " Ah, let's go for another shave this morning!" So I got the usual gear together and put in the Sputnik blade. Now I was originally only going to go for a two pass but I liked the blade so much I ended up going for a three. Only a few spots of irritation but I'll live with it That blade was incredibly smooth and really, really a joy to use! Where the Voshkod was good, this was waaaaay better! It's tied up there with the Astra SP because it was so smooth I couldn't even really feel the blade itself! I'm hoping I get good longevity on this one cause I'm digging it a lot as you can tell. Stay tuned to see how long this blade lasts for me!

P.S. @Engblom Good call on me liking Sputnik so far!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    Engblom likes this.
  3. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Personally, I put Sputnik above Astra SP... Sputnik is also costing slightly more. There is something special about teflon coated blades. At least as long as the coating stays there.

Zykris likes this.
  4. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

In retrospective, I like the Sputnik first. I had to think on that one first. Here's to hoping the Teflon coating sticks around for a few more shaves.

5. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Three pass head shave, three pass face shave. I'm noticing that by adding an extra day to face shaving , I can almost shave every day for about three days before my skin says, "ok...enough." The blade is still ultra smooth, barely noticeable. Loving the Sputnik!

6. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Three pass head shave and face shave with the Sputnik blade. I can feel a little degeneration in the edge but it's still very smooth and comfortable.

7. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Three pass face shave with the Sputnik and the blade had finally had it. Top ranks of blades I've tried in the DE sampler I received are:
    1: Sputnik. For the really comfortable smoothness of the blade.
    2. Astra SP. For the sharpness and mid range smoothness, longevity of the blade.
    3. Gillette 7'Clock SP. Pretty good blade with mid range sharpness. The two before it had better performance IMO.
    4. Voshkod. The blade was smooth but it didn't last long for me. Sharpness is not near Sputnik IMO.

Jim99 likes this.
  8. Engblom

I pretty much agree with your observations. For me, when picking a blade, smoothness and comfort are the most important factors. It is nice with longevity, but my comfort is more important than a few cents saved.

BigMark83 and Zykris like this.
  9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I had a couple of Sputnik blades that I bought in a sampler package. I really liked them, but never bought any in bulk. Maybe I need to reconsider.

Zykris likes this.
  10. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I agree. Sharp is okay once in a while but I'm finding I tend to like more blades with the sharpness tuned down and the smoothness of the blade shines more.

11. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

They're great blades! My resources for sourcing blades is a little more limited but I did see some on Amazon. 16.99 for 100 from Razor Blades Club with free shipping.

12. Engblom

Here is the YMMV thing. Sputnik is an excellent blade and some years ago, it would have been the most perfect blade for me. This is why I still recommend it. However, since then my beard has become even more coarse and most blades tug, even fresh. Nowadays a comfortable blade, for me, means ultra sharp, like Feather. They are more expensive than Sputnik, but worth it as I do not experience the same much tugging.

Zykris likes this.
  13. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Yep. Definitely a YMMV. Feathers are not comfortable for me at all. But heck, that's why it's great to have a variety out there.

14. Engblom

What I simply meant is that discomfort from tugging is worse than discomfort from less smooth and sharper blade, at least for me. I fully agree Feather is not the smoothest blade out there, but it does not tug so the shave is more comfortable considering my coarse beard. Most people will not need Feather as most will not experience tugging with "normal" blades.

15. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Ahhhhh! Sorry. I had a brain fart there.

16. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Gave the BiC chrome blade yesterday for a head and face shave. Both were three passes using: RazoRock Slant German 37, WD B/W Synthetic 24mm, Maggards Leather and Tobacco soap, Gentleman Jon's Alum and Stirling Unscented Glacial Aftershave Balm. The blade was so so for me. It felt smooth but there was a "crisp" kinda feel to the blade that left me irritated. Super light touch was used. Gonna give it another shot tomorrow. Not liking the blade on first impression.

jmudrick likes this.
  17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

One of my top head shavers. Go figure.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Zykris likes this.
  18. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

So far my best head shaver was the Sputnik. And face shaver. I've still got like ten more blades to review.

jmudrick likes this.
  19. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

.Went for another 3 pass face/head shave. This time around it seemed the "crisp" feeling toned down on the BiC Chrome blade. It was smoother but still sharp. Irritation level was about half. I feel a little better about the blade but it still is kinda just "okay" for me. We'll see how the next shave goes if it gets better.

20. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Attempted to do a three pass face shave with the BiC blade today but I was getting too much pulling from it. So out with that blade. Still not a fan. Random pulled a Treet blade and picked up where I left off. Got through a one pass face shave and a half cross grain shave. I did not like that blade at all. It felt like it wasn't cutting despite angle adjustments and was really, really tuggy on only a two day growth. Changed razors from the slant to the Gillette Black Beauty, no improvement. So I am not attempting the Treet after that. Random pulled a Gillette Rubie Plus. Now that's what I call a good blade! Smooth as heck, sharp mid range. A good ol' overall blade. Finished the rest of my passes and a clean up with that blade in my slant. Really looking forward to using that baby again!

AlDm likes this.