Is it possible to shave without irritation?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BIG SAM, Sep 4, 2017.

1. BIG SAM

BIG SAM Member

4 or 5 hours after my morning shave my face burns something awful. I shave until I cannot feel any stubble. Is it that? Your advice as what to do. I’m thinking shaving method, razors, razor blades, shaving soaps, shaving cream and etc.

2. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Hmm... sounds like razor burn. It might be either the angle or pressure.

What razor and soap are you using? What blades do you use?

3. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

It is absolutely possible to shave without irritation. Give us some info as @Jim99 says. Razor, soap, blade, brush, etc. Pressure and angle are critical.

4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I think you are over shaving, don't by into the BBS hype! Listen to your face, stop after a couple of passing, over time your technique will improve.

5. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Yes, it is possible.

You have probably heard it many times but I say it again. You need to really have no pressure on the blade. The pressure will just make the blade scraping your skin. Right angle, as in riding cap or bar (if you are a steep angle shaver) additionally helps you to keep the blade pressure away.

Different razors got different blade exposure. Some razors hardly expose any blade at all. These razors might truly trick some into adding pressure, because they expect to feel some blade. Right used (with no pressure), these razors should be good for those with extra sensitive skin.

Currently, my favorite ultra mild razor is iKon X3. Sadly the blade is difficult to align, but once aligned it gives good shaves. It hardly got any blade exposure at all, so it feels very smooth, and with no pressure, you really get no irritation.

SABOTEURw and Terry Williams like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Change your paradigm.
    It's not beard removal,
    think beard reduction.

hamoncan, PLAla, FaceScraper and 2 others like this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

Why didn't you quote the rest of what I wrote? Everyone needs to stop being so nip picking. Listen to your face.
    N
    o one here is going to give anyone enough silly advice so that the OP or anyone else will achieve a better shave. Only you the shaver/face will tell.

Redfisher, DesertTime and RyX like this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

To answer your opening question, YES.

Causes of irritation:
    No prep
    Poor prep (to include over prepping, such as exfoliating prior to the shave. The blade will do all the exfoliation you need)
    Poor lather (too thick and dry or too thin and runny)
    Soap or cream not agreeing with your face (alergic reactions; some people can't get along with sandlewood)
    Razor not agreeing with your face (some people are alergic to nickel)
    Blade not agreeing with your face
    Too much pressure with razor
    Too much pressure (scrubbing) with brush
    Poor angle of attack (too steep and you're scraping, not cutting)
    Face not wet enough
    Not rewetting and/or relathering between passes
    Going over the same area repeatedly without rewetting or relathering
    Going over the same area too often
    Scrubbing your face dry - pat it dry
    Aftershave doesn't agree with your face
    Cologne does't agree with your face

Linuxguile, Str8 Shaver, AlDm and 8 others like this.
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I shave two passes, with the grain. Usually have zero irritation.

I can still feel stubble, but it's not visible to cursory inspection in the mirror.

One "technique" that is often overlooked is splashing some water on your face before applying lather. I subscribe to the belief that the water acts as a cushion for the blade, and the lather is primarily there to keep that layer of water in place.

In fact, a person can shave in the shower using nothing but direct water spray as lather.

For me, the three keys to an irritation free shave is two passes or less, shaving with the direction of hair growth, and proper pre-shave preparation.

10. RaZorBurn123

:signs011:

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  11. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I close the bathroom door and it keeps the irritations out.

12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Absolutely possible. Light touch; remove the shaving cream not the skin; keep your angle and don't repeatedly go over the same spot without reapplying cream.

13. BIG SAM

BIG SAM Member

Feather Double Edge Blades

Cremo Original Shave Cream and Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream Bowl.
    i mix these together in my scuddle and apply to my wet face

Merkur Futur Adjustable Safety Razor (700) Razor (Matte Finish)

g

SABOTEURw likes this.
  14. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I sometimes get irritation, but it's mostly due to my sensitive skin. Factors that cause it are high temperatures and humidity. Also extremely cold temps in winter.

AlDm likes this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

Apologies if I offended by agreeing with your post Kerry @RaZorBurn123.

I agree with this statement. Many new shavers come to wet shaving with cartridge habits. They must change how they think about moving a blade across their skin, hence;

One of those cart habits is pressing the multiblade contraption into their skin trying to overcome the bumpers and glide strips. Shaving with a more open blade requires a different way of thinking. Let the blade do its job, but gently. Hence;

So when the novice wet shaver develops these new habits (Paradigm shift; changing how you think about something) they will get closer shaves with less irritation
    I may occasionally wax sarcastic. When a member asks for advice, opinions, or even actual information leading them astray would defeat the whole purpose of TSD. Steve's post illustrates many of the pitfalls to be overcome. My post took a broad overview of the topic as an attempt to guide a new shaver. Have a nice day, Sir.

16. BIG SAM

BIG SAM Member

I have a Feather DX Folding Wood Handle Razor on its way. Whats your opinion with me using this razorett concerning my irritation problem?

17. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I am the daily user of shavette on TSD. It's gonna tear you up at this point. I'd advise mastering angle, pressure and skin stretching with a safety razor first. All of your issues are likely technique. The answer to shaving issues is rarely found in switching gear.

18. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Word.

19. BIG SAM

BIG SAM Member

Before switching to wet shaving i was shaving with an electric razor for years and never liked the shave. In feeling my face, it felt like I had never shave. I ditched that thing and decided to go back to a wet shave system. In the past, I had used the Gillet 3 blade system and wasn’t that happy with that because of the irritation and burn. I chose the double edge system and that the way I will go and never look back. I am new at this and feel like you guys can help me work through the issues that I having.

Terry Williams and RyX like this.
  20. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

....because he was agreeing with, and reinforcing, a very specific point you made.