Aftershave and moisturizing question

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by ColtJustice, Aug 20, 2017.

1. ColtJustice

ColtJustice Well-Known Member

What I've been doing is:
    Lather
    Shave
    Alum (no rinse. Let it dry, then....)
    Styptic pencil, if necessary
    ... Aftershave
    moisturizer
    I am a little confused as to aftershave then moisturize, or vice versa.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  2. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

It doesn't matter....whatever works best for you! Experiment and see what you like. Some guys go with balm first and then splash over it. I go splash first and then balm at the end (when I use balm). I remember someone saying that a dermatologist told them that the balm should go first followed by the splash, but I can't remember who that was.

ColtJustice likes this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I'd do Cetaphil before AS, when and if needed.

ColtJustice likes this.
  4. Bob Palmer

Bob Palmer Member

Is there a difference between brands of Alum ?Or are they all pretty much the same ?

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  5. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

That's a good question, glad you asked it. I don't know the answer either.

Bob Palmer likes this.
  6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Welcome to TSD Bob, and may I say your avatar may tie that of @SharptoothC for the goalie mask most difficult for me to get a shot past :). But to be serious(and back to shaving), as there's a lot of "balm" talk in here, when I use a balm in place of an aftershave, that BECOMES the "aftershave"(that is, I don't combine balm and AS).

jtspartan and Bob Palmer like this.
  7. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I haven't found much difference. I get mine from our local Indian grocery store for less than $2.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ColtJustice and Bob Palmer like this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

There are two types. Don't ask me what they are. I just know one is face friendly, the other is not.

ColtJustice likes this.
  9. Lantis Nacago

Lantis Nacago New Member

same here, i don't think splashing too much product on the skin is a good option not to mention that there is a sticky feeling (personally) even if the product is not sticky.

Also, if you're already using allum which is already a good product to prevent acne, has anti inflammatory properties and prevents dirt from clogging your pores, your good to go with either a balm or an aftershave as long as it has moisturizing properties since allum dries out the skin.

Paul Turner likes this.
  10. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

There are two basic types: Ammonium Alum and Potassium Alum. Ammonium Alum is the kind you often find in "crystal deodorant" and potassium alum is the kind you want to use post-shave.