Taming the 2011 Mühle R41...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Primotenore, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Picked up a 2011 Mühle R41 a few months back out of curiosity mostly. I have used the 2013 version for a couple of years now and admittedly it had its own fairly steep learning curve. Fast forward and the new kid in my den comes off as a real bully. Blade exposure is wicked; even the corners of the blade show their fangs and are ready to pounce at the first sign of inattention. This sucker was tearing me up. Even though I now consider myself a seasoned wet shaver, I wasn't ready to blame my technique.
    To quote Alfred E. Neumann: "What me worry?"
    Image.jpg
    I tried different blades; different soaps; even bought a pre-shave oil...huh? Never use the stuff. Could NOT get a shave without drawing blood. Not a lot, but it was red all the same.
    But low and behold, my last two outings with this beast have resulted in...get ready...great shaves. No blood, no irritation, nothing. :)
    The moral of this story...and this is something you read all the time on TSD: Technique is King. It matters NOT what razor you are wielding, without the correct technique all is for naught. So if I may preach to the newcomers and returnees to DE shaving. Stop looking for the perfect tool and start developing the perfect technique.
    Thanks for reading.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    AGHisBBS, FaceScraper, Zykris and 3 others like this.
  2. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Nice post, Joseph. I agree completely! The newest, shiniest, expensive razor won't solve your issues. Technique is the key! It's the same with my profession and teaching kids to play instruments. The newest, shiniest, and most expensive instrument won't fix poor technique. Those with incredible technique can take the most beat up, worthless instrument and still make it sound good. Corny analogy perhaps, but the premise is the same. Again, great post!

AGHisBBS, Linuxguile and Primotenore like this.
  3. Primotenore

Article Team
    Thanks Perry. :)

PLAla likes this.
  4. Grick

Grick Active Member

But is the 2011 R41 as aggro as the Futur at 6? Doubt it. The 2013 R41 feels as aggro as the Futur at 3. Maybe you should tame the Futur next...:signs107:

Primotenore likes this.
  5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The Futur is all about blade gap and extreme blade gap only matters at weird angles, . The 2011 R41 and Ikon Tech are about exposure. In my experience exposure trumps blade gap any day.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Primotenore likes this.
  6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

The 2011 R41 is the only razor I have used for years. I packed up all the others once I found the R41.

Primotenore likes this.
  7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Still my favorite DE razor. And one that will BITE if one isnt paying attention. The last DE I used regularly before making the jump full-time to straight razors.
    The two Mühle models, from 2014...
    The R41 Comparison

I agree on this observation. I really enjoyed using the Futur—probably my favorite adjustable at one time—but the wide-open setting created such a gaping maw on the razor head that one had to be sure the angle was just right or you were simply inviting pain. Angle is also important with the 2011 R41 but so is a delicate touch.

Primotenore likes this.
  8. Primotenore

Article Team
    Can't answer that question. Doubt I ever will be able. The Futur has never attracted me.

9. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Great example, understandable wording and the BEST advice for any wet shaver, let alone someone just starting to enjoy it.

Primotenore likes this.
  10. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Amen. All razors are the same where bevel hits skin. Thanks for preaching the truth.

FaceScraper and Primotenore like this.
  11. Primotenore

Article Team
    :)

12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Alright, to satisfy curiosity I just did one pass with the Futur on 6. I don't have a 2011 R41 on me but I do have the Ikon Tech and there's simply no comparison. I believe the 2011 R41 is comparable. If it's aggressiveness you want advantage Tech. Judging aggressiveness solely on the basis of blade gap is akin to assessing s donut's taste based on the width of the donut hole.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    stingraysrock and Primotenore like this.
  13. Grick

Grick Active Member

The blade exposure of the Futur is bigger than that of the R41.

14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I've never seen that measured, nor do I believe it to be true (at least re the 2011 ). Exposure is extremely difficult to measure even with a micrometer.

15. Grick

Grick Active Member

I own both the 2013 R41 and the Futur and the difference in exposure is clearly visible.

16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I think you're confusing cap span (distance from cap edge to blade edge) with exposure (distance from theoretical shaving plane to blade edge). The former is easily eyeballed, the latter generally requires a micrometer especially in comparing two aggressive razors.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  17. Grick

Grick Active Member

No, I'm not. The difference between the 2011 and 2013 R41 is the blade exposure, right?
    Be that as it may, just had another shave with the R41 and it took me more strokes to clean up all stubble than with the Futur. The Futur is definitely more aggressive than the R41 imho.

18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The most visible difference between the 2011 and 2013 R41 was the change in cap span (ie a wider cap). More subtle changes were made to the head as well. The change in cap span in and of itself does not translate 1:1 to a difference in exposure as that is measured from the shaving plane, not the cap. You are entitled to your opinion re the comparative exposure of the R41 and Futur, let us know when you get that micrometer and figure out how to measure micromillimeters from a point in space.

Primotenore likes this.
  19. Grick

Grick Active Member

That's what I mean:
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/splitfire-cap-r41.47222/
    [​IMG]

20. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man