Ikon El Jefe

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jose Luis, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

Dragonsbeard, maybe you should try a milder blade than the pro for the first few shaves. Find the angle and use very little, to no pressure. A good lather and you are good to go. Load it to its milder setting and make sure the blade is evenly aligned. Keep us posted with the results.

Dragonsbeard and Str8on2 like this.
  2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Mine will not accept a super. Or to be more accurate, it will, but one has to force the cap into place, and the blade actually sticks out flush with the safety bar. It is essentially a straight. There is no way to move it forward or backwards like with a Pro.

This is another example where I wonder if the tolerances this razor was manufactured to are actually so godawful bad, that one guy's razor really is more or less aggressive than another's.

As far as what you said about the performance of the razor, I think you are spot on. It is a BBS machine, and I don't think I have ever gotten a bad shave from it.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  3. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

I think your theory is spot on. Ikon completely FUBAR'ed on the El Jefe castings or moldings. Yet, it worked out to a positive if you look at the glass half full. And yes, with a Super pushed forward, the guard is no longer in play and virtually is a straight on a handle. Though I do have to admit I don't mind it at all as I still do straight shave. Yet, it did cause me extreme trepidation when I used it in that one instance as I really had to go on feel to get it right. No visual to rely on as you can't see the point of contact on the skin.

4. PickledNorthern

I looked at mine and said, "Why Bother?" If I want to use a straight I will use a straight.

Str8on2 likes this.
  5. Str8on2

You and I both......:happy088:

6. Kypros Christodoulides

A straight on a handle would be mighty convenient.

7. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I believe a Kamisori is close enough.

8. Kypros Christodoulides

Right you are, but at about 10 time the price of the blem. El-Jefe. Having said that though, I would love to have a Kamisori. I eye balled one, but they are expensive and I hate stropping and honing str8's.

9. billdog2

billdog2 Well-Known Member

I bought an El Jefe blem head and a maggard handle (I think). At any rate, it`s too aggressive for me (I have tremors). Everything fits together fine and if you really want it, just PM me your mailing address and it`s yours. I only ask that you let me know if I`m right about it being in good shape or if not.

Bill
    P.S. I have a Hawk that is just right for me (when I don`t shake too bad).

10. Str8on2

Wow! Extremely generous of you sir. PM on the way....

11. PickledNorthern

Super Cool, Bill! Love to see the newbies get the stuff passed down. It's what makes this place such a class act.

Str8on2 likes this.
  12. Str8on2

The El Jefe made it here today and went through it's first shave with flying colors. But, I would like to thank @billdog2 for his extreme generosity in gifting me this razor. I was humbled and am indebted to the man. Thank you Bill.

First of all the, the razor is flawless and combined with the handle, which looks like a Maggard MR11 is an excellent pairing. Good weight and balance and excellent feel in the hands. I inserted a Kai Captain Original that has between 4-5 shaves, aligned the blade and held the top cap and bottom plate and locked in the handle. Even blade alignment & exposure across the face and safety bar of the razor and the blade was held firmly in place. Not a single issue setting it up and the shave was just marvelous.

Thanks again to Bill for his generosity. I owe you one amigo....:happy088:
    IMG_1367.JPG IMG_1368.JPG
    IMG_1358.JPG

Attached Files:

13. Dragonsbeard

Dragonsbeard Member

Handle looks great on the razor.. Great shaving days ahead!

14. billdog2

billdog2 Well-Known Member

The El Jefe was the nicest looking razor on my working rack, (I have a Fat Boy in my drawer that goes to my son). The El Jefe was just too aggressive for me. My hawk was given to me and shaves perfect. So glad it turned out right for you. With God speed, Bill

BigMark83 likes this.
  15. Dragonsbeard

Dragonsbeard Member

Thanks Bill.. Hawk is another great razor. :happy088: