Injector & SE Party !!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bird Lives, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

SEptember 10, 2017

Doug Korn Ivory & Aqua Marine with TGN Finest
    MDC Citrus LE
    Colonial Razors The General
    Feather Pro Super
    Fine L'Orange Noir
    Terre D'Hermes

[​IMG]

Jim99, ajc347, Linuxguile and 5 others like this.
  2. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Your brush is stunning Mark. :happy096:

clint64 and Boojum1 like this.
  3. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: Alumigoose w/ iKon Bamboo Handle
    Blade: KAI Captain Titan (3)
    Brush: DFS LE Nathan Clark Envy White Handle Aluminum Color, Anodized Dark Bronze. #41/150
    Soap: Reef Point Soap Admiralty
    A/S: Lucky Tiger, Old Spice
    Decanter: Old Spice Ship's Lantern 1981-1984 ID #3632
    Bowl: Symmetrical Pottery Starry Night Dottie

Is it the brush, is it the soap, or is it the bowl? Hard to say, but all 3 work very well together to produce an excellent lather. Three passes with a minor touch up for a very near BBS.
    The iKon handle is a great little handle.

10 09 17.jpg

Starry Night Dottie.jpg

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    Jim99, ajc347, Linuxguile and 6 others like this.
  4. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Thanks Doug! :happy088:

clint64 and Douglas Carey like this.
  5. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

September 10, 2017

Razor: Schick '500' Injector
    Blade: Schick Proline B
    Brush: 30DC/Pure Badger
    Soap: Williams + KMF fragrance-free

Back to a recent acquisition which is turning out to be one of my favorite Injectors. I'm not really a fan of long-handled razors (the '500' has a longer handle than a regular J1) but something about the added weight from the Hydro-Magic makes it just right. Meanwhile the Citronella scent of the Williams super lather made for a refreshing afternoon shave. Not quite a BBS like yesterday's Fatboy shave, but close enough. :)

6. EzraCobb

EzraCobb Well-Known Member

9/10/17 - back to the GEM Clog Pruf with PAL blade on 2nd shave. Another BBS - and NO irritation at all - 3 passes - + neck Pick ups..

[​IMG]

7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great looking decanter Doug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Douglas Carey likes this.
  8. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

SOTD September 9, 2017
    A Stirling SEptember

Blade: Schick
    Razor: Schick I1 injector
    Brush: Omega Hi synthetic
    Lather: Stirling Iced Pineapple
    WTG, touch-up

This was yesterday's shave. Really nice. The I1 was great as usual. Quite enjoyable. Have a great evening!

SOTD 9-9-17.JPG

Jim99, ajc347, Linuxguile and 3 others like this.
  9. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I was checking to see if you were around....I wanted to know if you split....Hope all is safe where you are now........I hope you will return to find everything in order! Where did you go to?

Karl G and clint64 like this.
  10. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

@Bird Lives invited me here. He may regret it because I tend to be long winded and post too many pics. I have my work cut out for me, though, catching up on 880+ pages...

I'll start by (re)posting my journey into SEs:

In June of 2016, I was in search of a Rubberset 200-4 as a restore host for my beloved Omega PRO48 boar knot (it was well broken-in by me, but I always hated the cheap handle). I had already lined out the restore job to be done by Nate Singleterry. At that point, I just needed a decent host. Fortunately, Jeff Cantrell had one lying around that he'd intended to restore, but never got around to it. He wanted to do a trade instead of cash, so I offered up a few things. He chose a sealed Beaver WoodWright Jolly Roger gift set that I had purchased as backup. After the deal was made, he felt like the deal was lop-sided in his favor, so he threw in the Star 1912 and some blades. His rationale was that after reviewing my SOTD posts, he noted I'd never commented on using a vintage SE. He was correct. They just looked barbaric, and I never thought I'd like one. To my surprise, on the first go, it provided one of the best shaves of my life. As a result, this opened up a new realm of wet shaving for me. Since then I've picked up some Damaskeenes, but they still don't compare to the shaves I consistently get from this unassuming Star. I find it extremely efficient and equally comfortable. I do note, however, despite many people getting multiple shaves from a single blade, I only get 2 maximum (for 3-pass head AND face shaves). Since the blades are still cheap, I do one-and-done, and bought bulk. The Gem PTFEs work best for me. I am so grateful to Jeff for introducing me to these "gems" in vintage razors.

Jim99, Linuxguile, sdguero and 4 others like this.
  11. Bird Lives

Welcome Matt...glad you could make the scene and so glad you have discovered the Joy of SE Shaving....I know what you mean....I myself had an unassuming Star 1912 that always rewarded me with fantastic shaves....

Please make yourself at home and please post some pixs...Love to see that Star that stole your heart and whiskers. :love055:

12. 120inna55

It's no secret, I've become a member of the "Streamline" cult. I've done a bit of research, so I thought I would share it here along with some images demonstrating the differences between the first generation and the second generation. I'll stipulate that the first generation are generally accepted to have been introduced in the 1930s and then re-released with some changes in the 1950s. These dates are estimates, and neither model has a date code.

My OCD dictates that I at least initially use parentheses to set off the moniker, "Streamline", because it's not necessarily correct. In fact, "Streamline" is more a reference to packaging than to the razor itself. Among others, the 30s and re-introduced 50s "Streamlines" were essentially named after their respective packaging/cases: "Ambassador", "Strop Outfit", "Jewel", and yes, "Streamline". Except for having either "Gem" or "Ever-Ready" embossing, the razors were the same, and only the packaging and accessories changed.

I won't go into the history of Ever-Ready and Gem (along with the overlap) as it's beyond the scope of this writing and there are plenty articles on the subject. Yet it is worth noting that in modern times, it's commonly believed that the "Jewel" was only with the "Gem" branding and that it was marketed to North America and, I think, Australia. That's a misconception as there are clearly shippers that show the "Jewel" to have the Ever-Ready branding. Particularly in the 2nd generation models, there's a lot of cross-over with regard to naming, packaging, and branding. In modern times, because the razors are all the same (and all made in England), we're at a loss as to what to call them because there's no way to prove the sets remain with their original accessories and packaging. Thus, it's generally accepted that calling the razor itself a "Streamline" identifies it.

As far as difference between 30s (1st gen) and 50s (2nd gen), the 30s were a little heavier, had a thicker neck, larger apertures, and closed grooves on the bar as opposed to the open slots of the 50s'. Additionally, the 30s had a notch on the back of the head where the 50s had a solid spine. In the case in which the razor was paired with a strop kit, the auto-strop on the first gen was devoid of text where the second gen had the following embossed: "Ever-Ready Pat Appld for - Made in England Automatic Stropper"

With regard to performance, I can speak with some authority on this as I have been using both models for about 7 months (as of this writing). The first gen gross weight is 82.8 grams (head is 33.4 and handle is 49.4). The second gen gross weight is 78.5 grams (head is 34.9 and the handle is 43.6). Frankly, I don't notice the 4 gram weight difference between the two as I'm using them. I do notice a significant decrease in blade feel when I go from the first gen to the second gen lending a slightly smoother shave yet no discernable sacrifice in efficiency. I wouldn't call either of these razors harsh, but the second gen has become my favorite in part because it's more forgiving. The other reason has to do with application. The solid bar along with larger apertures on the first gen seems to port the lather directly down the handle. The open slots on the second gen dispenses the lather right out the bottom of the head. In typical use, this may not be relevant. However, being a shower shaver, I do appreciate the lather being directed away from the handle. It's a small matter, but it does give more points to the second gen in my opinion.

I've only used modern Gem PTFE blades with these razors, and in theory, I may not be receiving the shave these razors offered in their day. There has been speculation that due to the thinner rib on modern rib-back blades, we get a slightly more aggressive shave than with the vintage blade. It was theorized that the thicker rib angled the blade downward slightly. It would be like "shimming" the back of the blade and reducing the gap. I have no intention of testing this theory, but it does make sense. Again, this is not my theory, but rather one I've seen cited in a few sources.

Like other key vintage razors, hype waxes and wanes. Ultimately, I really didn't expect this level of a step-up from my other shavers. After a single shave with the first gen, it had me contemplating why I needed any other safety razors, DEs or otherwise. Now, granted, my exposure to vintage SEs are limited to the 1912, a few Damaskeenes, and G-Bar, of which the 1912 has been my favorite. I've never tried an injector, so I can't speak to them. It's strange, though---even bittersweet---in that I really like my other razors, particularly the variety and aesthetics, but honestly, I don't have another razor that can even approach the efficiency and comfort of this razor. My desire to have some variety may be quelled by picking up a few more of these razors and having Delta Echo do their magic.

I don't know if Streamlines are necessarily rare, but they are sought-after. This is one of those razors that every wet shaver should have the opportunity to use. I really don't want to overstate it, but in many cases, I suspect it will change a wet shavers shave for life.

Here are a few pics illustrating the differences between the two models:

The first gen is on the left. You'll notice the considerably larger apertures and grooved, but closed bar. The second gen on the right has open slots.

[​IMG]

Any finish difference noted in the following image is purely related to lighting. Both models have an impeccable thick chrome finish. In my search, I did have to look hard to find examples without brassing on the bottom plate, as the cast chroming resulted in this common wearing defect. Not a single one suffered from plate loss in the high friction areas. These two exhibited no plate loss, so I won't be having them re-finished.

[​IMG]

This image of the first gen demonstrates the split spine:

[​IMG]

Here's the solid spine on the second gen:

[​IMG]

Here are a couple shots of the Ever-Ready "New Chrome Strop Outfit" packaging:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For purist collectors, this one is actually a mismatch because the razor on the left is a first gen, but the paired auto-strop has text on it which would make it from a second gen set.

[​IMG]

A few unimaginative images of the "Strop Outfit" case:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First gen head weight: 33.4 grams

[​IMG]

First gen handle weight: 49.4 grams:

[​IMG]

First gen gross weight: 82.8 grams:

[​IMG]

Second gen head weight: 34.9 grams

[​IMG]

Second gen handle weight: 43.6 grams:

[​IMG]

Second gen gross weight: 78.5 grams:

[​IMG]

Glamor shots of the first gen:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Glamor shots of the second gen:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    Jim99, ajc347, targa88 and 7 others like this.
  13. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Holy cow, what a post! Incredible info, top-notch photos.....very enjoyable. Thanks!

sdguero, clint64, MPF9 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Bird Lives

Bravo! What a fitting treatise for a Functional Artistic Masterpiece !

Thanks Matt.....This was such a good read!!

ajc347 and clint64 like this.
  15. MPF9

MPF9 Well-Known Member

Mon 11th Sept

Schick N3 & Schick Twin [ 5- Japan]
    A really smooth and effective pairing, for me even better than the Adjustable fitted with a Twin.The Latter is just too smooth and clinical, whereas the N3 still has some blade feel.

IMG_1574.jpg

16. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:thanks: Clint.

clint64 likes this.
  17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

SEptember 11, 2017
    Brass General
    Schick Proline (2)
    CH 2 LE Jade Synthetic
    Route 66 Bay Lime Twist
    Folsom & Co Capri

[​IMG]

ajc347, Linuxguile, MPF9 and 5 others like this.
  18. 120inna55

My G-Bar:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

11 SEptember

Pre-Shave: Hot Shower
    Brush: JR #180 Badger
    Soap: Williams, Pure Williams
    Razor: Valet VC2, Autostrop
    Blade: Feather FHS-10(3)
    Post-Shave: Cold Water rinse and Stetson AS
    Photo:
    SOTD 11 Sep 2017.jpg

This mornings shave I was wanting to go back to basics. I went old school and pulled out the Williams. Continuing with the old school theme I grabbed the JR #180 badger and worked up a very good face lather. Did three passes with the Valet and a FHS-10 blade with two other shaves on it. While shaving I was thinking that next month is October. Is it Open Comb OCtober? If so I have this razor(the Valet) and the OCMM for OCtober. Finished off the shave with a cold water rinse and some Old School Stetson. I guess due to me thinking about next month and not about what I was doing I finished with an okay shave. That's alright though, there is always tomorrow.

Jim99, ajc347, clint64 and 7 others like this.
  20. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    inconceivable.jpg

clint64, 120inna55 and Douglas Carey like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.