Do you have a particular favourite SR?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Rusty blade, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Do you have a particular favourite straight razor? What is it that makes it so special? Pics welcomed!

I have around 40 SRs with 14 in regular rotation. I enjoy every one of them for different reasons. But I have to admit I do have a particular favourite. It is a Bengall that I picked up in an antique store some time ago. It was in pretty rough shape when I brought it home, but I gave it some TLC, new scales, polished it, honed it and it rapidly became my go-to razor. A true prince of a razor. Perfect edge and great shaves!
    Bengall.jpg

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

"And if you have children, please name your favorite!" :D Can't, cuz' I love em' all!

Sentimental favorite: a birthday gift from my wife four years ago; I restored the razor and gave it new scales. It is not my biggest razor, nor fanciest, smoothest, prettiest, rarest, nor most expensive— but yet has always provided MANY a smooth, comfy shave over the years, never any blood (!), and I really like the shape and feel of the blade.

George Wostenholm 7/8" hollow-ground "Pipe" razor (late 1800s); restored with brass hardware, white bone wedge and black horn scales with white feathering.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jim99, Billyfergie, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

It seems to change every 2 weeks. Dpepends on how good a job I did honing it,

Rusty blade, Jim99 and Billyfergie like this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I have several favorites. I'm slowly narrowing the list down down.

5. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Tuff Call

This Hayashi Diamond 8000 is a prized razor

[​IMG]

This complete Nichiri Pelican set I love to shave with, and to tease @Jamie Mahoney with :)

[​IMG]

Same with the Craftsman complete set

[​IMG]

But the one razor that is the best shaver for me is this Iwasaki Kamisori, not for everyone but it really works for me

[​IMG]

6. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

My Favourite Shavers are My Sheffield & Solingen Full Hollow Grinds..:kar:

Billy..:chores016:

Rusty blade, gssixgun and Jim99 like this.
  7. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Plus one on what Billy said.After that I would include Japanese Straights.

Rusty blade and Billyfergie like this.
  8. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

I have some preferences narrowed down but not a favourite razor per say. I like 7/8 to 8/8 hollow to half hollow, most of the time.

9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I don't have a SR, but if I did I like the one you have. I like the narrower blade. If that's a thing?

10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I would have to say my H. Boker, restored by @HolyRollah, is my favorite. hboker_restored_05.jpg

11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The H. Diamond 8k and King Pel are certainly in my top 10, maybe 5!
    That Iwasaki is a beaut!
    :love055:

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Up to a certain narrowness...then it just becomes an abused razor! :D
    [​IMG]

13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

That looks more like a pocket knife. :)

Billyfergie likes this.
  14. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Open Razors were Indeed Used as a Favoured Weapon by Many in the Great War by All Sides..Wedge Type SRs were Favoured for Close Quarter Combat..Also..A Soldier had to be Clean Shaven for the Gas Mask to Seal Against Mustard Gas Attacks...Thousands of Troops Fought & Killed & Stole Each Others SHAVE READY SRs from their OWN SIDE..To Survive the Gas Attacks..TRUE..:D

A HoneMeister in the Trenches was Like a GOD...:smiley respect:

Billy..:chores016:

Keithmax likes this.