Mühle Rocca stainless steel razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Eeyore, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

After posting pictures yesterday, and commenting briefly on the build quality, it's time for a first impression.

Google translated, with the Dutch original text included:

Dutch original (open)

Vanmorgen heb ik me met de Rocca geschoren, dus het is tijd voor een eerste impressie.

Ik had er gisteren al een Personna Platinum Chrome mesje in gedaan, een soort "middle of the road" mesje voor mij, Het mesje laden gaat uitstekend, en het zit meteen 100% uitgelijnd (ik ben een Fatip krabber gewend, die je soms een handje moet helpen ;) ).

De Rocca is 80gr en dus een beetje zwaarder dan ik gewend ben. De balans is goed voor mij; ik hou niet van zware handvatten. De kop blijft als vanzelf op mijn gezicht rusten. Het zwart geribbelde oppervlak van het handvat bevalt goed. Het biedt voldoende grip en houdt makkelijk vast, ook tijdens het scheren.

Qua scheren kan ik hem eigenlijk alleen met de Fatip open kam krabbers (Grande en Wood), en met de Schick Krona krabber vergelijken, omdat dat mijn dagelijkse krabbers zijn. De Mühle Rocca is een stuk milder dan de Fatips, maar niet zo mild als de Krona. Ten opzichte van de Krona valt op dat de Rocca minder hoekvast is. Ik moet de Rocca meer bijsturen, terwijl de Krona als vanzelf in de juiste hoek op mijn gezicht blijft liggen.

Wat effectiviteit en scheergemak betreft ben ik positief; de Rocca voelt weliswaar mild aan, maar na twee scheergangen is mijn gezicht net zo glad als met de Fatip. Zoals ik al zei; de balans is goed, en dat blijkt ook tijdens het scheren. Het handvat is wat dikker dan van de andere krabbers die ik heb, en dat is eigenlijk wel prettig. Na het scheren spoelt de krabber makkelijk schoon. Ik heb het mesje niet verwijderd, dus ik weet nog niet hoeveel zeepresten zich in de kop verzamelen.

Samenvattend; geen "Wauw-ervaring" zoals de eerste keer scheren met de Fatip Grande. Ik zou het meer Deutsche Gründlichkeit noemen; een krabber als een VW Passat Stationcar. Hij gaat deze week mee op reis, dus aan het eind van de week zal ik wel een meer afgewogen oordeel hebben.

Ook in de SOTD:

Mühle Rocca krabber
    Personna Platinum Chrome mesje
    Edwin Jagger Silvertip Fibre kwast
    TOBS Coconut scheercrème
    TOBS Jermyn Street aftershave

This morning I shaved with the Rocca, so it's time for a first impression.

I had yesterday made a Personna Platinum Chrome blade, a kind of "middle of the road" blade for me, the blade load is excellent, and it is aligned straight 100% (I am a Fatip scraper used to, you sometimes hand should help ;) ).

Rocca is 80gr and therefore a little heavier than I am used to. The balance is good for me; I do not like heavy handles. The head rests naturally on my face. Black ribbed surface of the handle pleases. It offers plenty of grip and hold easily fixed, even while shaving.

In terms shave I can actually him with the crest Fatip open scrapers (Grande and Wood), and compare the Schick Krona scraper, because those are my daily scrapers. The Mühle Rocca is a lot milder than the Fatips but not as mild as the Krona. Compared with the Krona is that Rocca is less fixed angle. I need more adjusting the Rocca, while Krona naturally remains at the correct angle on my face.

As for effectiveness and ease of shaving, I'm positive; Rocca admittedly feels mild, but after two courses shaving my face as smooth as a Fatip. As I said; the balance is good, and that shows while shaving. The handle is thicker than the other scrapers that I have, and that is actually pleasant. After shaving, rinse the scraper easy to clean. I have not removed the blade, so I do not know how many soap residues collect in the head.

Summarizing; No "Wow experience" as the first time shaving with the Fatip Grande. I would call it more Deutsche Gründlichkeit; a scraper as a VW Passat station wagon. He enters this week on a trip, so at the end of the week I'll have a more balanced judgment.

Also in the SOTD:

Mühle Rocca scraper
    Personna Platinum Chrome blade
    Edwin Jagger Silvertip Fibre Brush
    Tobs Coconut shaving cream
    Tobs Jermyn Street aftershave

Keithmax, Tdmsu, Spud and 12 others like this.
  2. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Thanks for the excellent review. Muhle has long been my favorite fixed-head razor and it's good to see they're still producing new, quality products.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  3. DesertTime

Do you know if the Rocca uses the same head as the R89? I looked around and could not tell from pictures. I wasn't able to find any reviews on-line. It looks like it might be a new head design, too.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  4. Nate.H01

Nate.H01 Member

From what I can tell it's a totally new head design that is nothing like the r89 head.

Keithmax, Carbide Mike and DesertTime like this.
  5. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

It's definitely not the same head.

Keithmax, Carbide Mike and DesertTime like this.
  6. DesertTime

Thanks. It really is a beautiful razor. I'm interested in your continuing evaluation.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  7. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

In the meantime I learned that the handle is DLC coated, and not a resin layer.

Keithmax likes this.
  8. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

This is why you should be wary of user opinions: I mentioned before that the Rocca was not impressive with a Feather blade. However, I tried the Rocca again with a Feather, and this time I had an excellent shave!

Overall, I still think (after a few months of use) that the Rocca is a very good razor. Well done to Mühle!

Keithmax and Tdmsu like this.
  9. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I'm resurrecting an old thread but does anyone know if these are available in North America yet?
    Anyone have any more information or experience with them?

10. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Dank je wel voor de praktijk terwijl ik eet een stroopwafel. ;)

Yehuda D likes this.
  11. alfredus

alfredus Well-Known Member

Just bought the last black one in one of my favorite stores here in Vienna - they have great connections to Muhle (one of the first places who received stock before Christmas) and they haven't received any new ones for quiet a while now...and it doesn't look like they will get more stock any time soon.

Keithmax and Spud like this.
  12. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on the shave?

13. alfredus

Just had one shave in the tiny bathroom of my holiday apartment - so it's a bit hard to give valid feedback.

Definitely smooth and close, but it also bit me a bit... probably due to poor technique in the new surroundings, but I can't say for sure before a couple of shaves or maybe even after I tried it out in the sanctuary if my own den...

Keithmax and Spud like this.
  14. alfredus

Absolute delightful 2nd shave with the Rocca - the angle is very old school (handle far away from your face with a locked in elbow at the height of your ear) and therefore a bit challenging in the current tiny bathroom I am residing in. But once these technical difficulties were sorted, I had an absolute stellar shav. Three days of growth were removed and the end result was super close and yet so silky smooth. The Stirling lather definitely played an important role, even after so many years of having it in my rotation, it never ceases to impress.

Tdmsu, Spud and Keithmax like this.
  15. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I don't think I will ever get this razor; I have a better chance of getting a Wolfman!

16. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Well, jump on it whenever you get the chance. It is still my favourite DE razor after over 7 months (so the honeymoon is already over ;) ).

Spud likes this.
  17. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

May I ask some questions?:
    Do you find it heavy enough, given the hollow handle?
    Is the lack of rinse slots an issue?
    Is the finish good?
    If you have the birtch handle, is the laminating sufficient?
    And lastly, aggression. Where would you put it relative to the R89 or a Fatip?
    Many thanks! Sorry, but you are one of very few that seems to have one.

18. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

- Yes, the balance of the head and handle is great for me. But I don't like heavy handles.
    - I don't have any issues with clogging, and the head is easy to clean.
    - I have the black handle, so I cannot say anything about the birch handle (it looked a bit too flashy for me in the photos). The black handle is holding up great. I personally would love it if the non coated parts were chrome plated.
    - It is more aggressive than a R89, but less than a Fatip OC. For me, it is right in the sweet spot, especially with Personna Platinum Chrome blades.

Spud and BigMark83 like this.
  19. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I want one now, thanks.

20. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Muhle USA doesnt list them on their site.