Oct 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Sep 30, 2017.

?

What is your plan for OCtober?

1. Shave with one or more really cool DE OC razors.

13 vote(s)
    41.9%
  2. Shave with one or more really cool SE OC razors.

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. Shave with one or more DE and SE OC razors.

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  4. Durham Duplex counts, right?

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. All straight, all the time.

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
  6. To find the freaking cookies I keep hearing so much about.

14 vote(s)
    45.2%
  7. I'm just waiting until Halloween. I need candy!

12 vote(s)
    38.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

BOO!! It’s OCtober!!!

The Cartel welcomes you to the OCtober 2017 edition of the 30 Day Rule/Focus thread. SEptember was a hit with a lot of fantastic SE razors in play as well as the usual assortment of straights and classic and modern DE’s. New soaps got tried, blades good and bad reviewed and we more than doubled the number of posts from last year. That’s a great month! I appreciate everyone who participates in this thread and am proud to be your mostly fearless if normally confused unofficial leader and janitor for the group.

In OCtober we trade in the SE razors for the OC razors. The open comb models come out to play for those who choose and we get to see some classics both old and new. OC’s are a favorite of mine and I look forward to using my collection of them for the month. If you have some OC’s, break them out and give them the month to shine. Can’t wait to see some great gear out there.

Of course, there’s no pressure to join in the theme. If you’re a dedicated straight guy then bring on those straights. Pain sticks, DE, or even more SE, whatever you want. The point isn’t which gear we use but that we get better with whatever gear we choose. Technique trumps tools! So pick your tools and let’s get going!

If you're new to traditional shaving, or to TSD, WELCOME!!! Jump in and let the friendliest and most knowledgeable bunch of people you'll ever meet help you along. Ask questions, show us your gear. There's nothing about shaving we don't like to see and hear. Even if you are just starting with a Dollar Tree razor and a cheap soap we value you along with everyone else and we want you to become a part of this great community. Watch out for the enablers hiding among us. (Actually it’s all of us) Those guys will have you stocking up on new stuff before you know what hit you! Devious bunch these Cartel groupies.

As one of the charter members of this thread, from January 2015, I can attest to the ability of the 30 Day Rule to build basic technique that provides the basis for the use of the 30 Day Focus to sharpen skills and develop new skills altogether. Our quest is, as always, to be able to develop technique so solid and strong that we can overcome any tools that may be at hand. The great overarching philosophy is "Technique Trumps Tools." The only caveat....."unless the tools are defective." One can't use a broken blade or a razor that won't lock the blade down and expect success.

My personal mission has always been to push the limits of the tools, and my skills, to find out what, if anything is defective. Most of you have remained sane and found instead new and wonderful ways to shave. Some, perhaps unfortunately, have followed my lead lately, but hey, no pain no gain. At the same time, practice makes perfect, and we have already learned how bad equipment can be and still produce a great shave with proper technique.

Now, on to the facts in the words of the one, the only, @Bama Samurai : (Please rise) (Take off your hats) (Seriously, do I have to mention pay attention?) (Ok, be good and we’ll hand out extra cookies) (And yes, I’m aware of the recent “cookie debate”. Trust me. They’re real)

The 30 Day Rule (designed to build solid technique or learn new technique)

1 brush, 1 soap, 1 brand of blades, 1 razor, 30 Days. The rule is really that simple. It seems boring, but this is probably the most straightforward way to learn for a brand new shaver. This is the exercise that really allowed me to clearly see the interplay between the four elements. It is highly recommended for newly converted shavers and more experienced shavers who have a problem that defies resolution. This exercise eliminates variables and will likely solve any problem you may have, with a strict scientific approach.Any thing that strays from these simple guidelines is not a rule, but rather a focus (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

The 30 Day Focus (more flexible, for exploring and comparing)

This is a less rigorous exercise, designed for exploration and comparison of gear and technique. This is the most common exercise on the thread. Generally the elements are rotated one by one to allow clear observation. Examples of focus areas include brush types, blades, soaps, razor variants, or technique foci as a standalone.

These are the suggested guidelines, and serve as a starting point for the discussion each month. Again, you’re free to follow the theme or go your own way. We believe that if you've ever sought a great shave, you have something to offer. And if you're searching for great shaves, we will definitely try to help. If you are new to TSD, I believe you've landed in a great place. Everyone here participating would love to answer your questions and help you get the most from your shaving. We are very glad you're here! So, if you're new, stop in for a cookie (seriously, we have them) and meet the crew. If this is old hat, welcome back, and let's rock another month out.

Rules are the same people.

1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime. Don’t be shy.
    2. Previous/older/original/experienced members welcome as always. We know you aren’t shy.
    3. Respect everyone. Opinions are for sharing and learning.
    4. Follow the rules of the forum
    5. All razor types and styles welcome
    6. After recent consideration, negative opinions about Russia blades will be allowed. Please be aware that the blade Cartel and Yakuza do employ spies. However, they’re usually drunk so probably no worries.

Let's have some great shaves people! Welcome to OCtober!! So first things first.....group hug………and off we go!

30 day crew portrait.jpg

2. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

I have these three OC razors I will probably use at least occasionally during the month:

IMG_00000051.jpg

The gold one is a Fatip Grande. I am not sure what the two silverplated ones are besides (a) Gillette and (b) very tarnished. The brush is my Semogue Owners Club cherry wood boar that I am still breaking in and learning to use. I expect it will also make appearances through the month. Beyond that, I am simply going to take it a day at a time with no real plan or focus.

3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

All straights all the time except for when I use some of my OC DEs.

About the cookies I did send them what I suspect they're seized in customs, I think they're confused my address with one from up north.

4. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

@Keithmax gets a pass on the cookies. Besides, depending on his proximity to rocket boy they may be radioactive. The rest of you "cookie people" are just leaving a trail of empty promises and broken spirit in your wake. I hope you can live with yourselves.

5. BaylorGator

Oh, cookies aside, I'll be focusing on soap trials and soap reviews. If you get really bored you can follow along here. There may be the occasional straight, SE and OC making an appearance as I try to eventually catch up with the group.

6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

So I got to looking, and apparently I don't own a single open comb razor, so I will be looking in a different direction for a focus. I am going to be traveling hard again for the next couple of months, so sometimes even just shaving gets difficult for me.

One thing I have been working on is using my off hand in a couple of places that have always felt awkward, so this month could possibly turn into "Off Handed October".

7. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I've got a few OC razors, so I am in for OCtober. If, I can find a MMOC by the end of OCTOBER, I will also add this one. I am looking forward to a fun month with the 30DC again.

8. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I'll be in with a 20's ball-end Old Type and a bar-handled NEW LC. Will cycle through some different blades and some new software as well. Looking forward to another great month!

9. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I'm in again! Like @PickledNorthern I do not own an open comb razor. I had an MMOC but it wasn't the smoothest experience for me and I ended up selling it.

I plan to rotate through my arsenal of injectors and SEs and try to use the SE razors every other shave or so.

My main plan is focus on getting better lather and shaves from shave sticks. My good friend @PickledNorthern hooked me up with some Arko and I'll use a Palmolive stick and Wilkinson Sword stick as well. Probably try to alternate every other shave. We'll see how it goes. My shave stick experience so far has been meh.

Looking forward to fun month with everyone as always!

10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

If you don't mind a slightly experienced looking one, pm me your address and I will get an OCMM out to you. I have a few sitting around.

11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I am certainly in for Open Comb OCtober. I will rotate through these three razors for the month. I might get in a few shaves with the Damaskeene OC but no promises on that as I am ready for a break from SE razors.

[​IMG]

12. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Anybody besides me get a kick out of the fact the cookies got you so worked up you had to do two posts to cover his plan? :D

13. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I'm ready for some OPEN COMBS people! Below is the selection of razors I'll be choosing from during the month. I'll stay with my synthetic brushes (gave my WCS one to my wife who is now hooked on Stirling Witchy woman soap) and rotate through those. As far as soaps? Well I see myself getting back to some MWF, Tabac and still working with Stirling, Route 66 and Soap Commander. I have some others I like too that will probably get a day or two. I have to admit....the soap enablers did a number on me. As for blades I'm going to choose as I go but expect to see lots of Russians. Time to show them some proper love.

Also, I have a couple of blades to try by request this month that I'll get to. Should be a busy month and I would expect a shenanigan breakout or two as well.

OCtober razors.jpg

14. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Open Comb Micromatic all the way!

15. RyX

RyX DoH!

Open Comb? OK!
    Three OC DE, from left to right;
    Short Comb on a Ball End handle - no splits!
    Long Comb New on a bar handle - great shaver.
    FaTip on a stock Piccolo handle - this one bites.
    The Bunny Injector & NOTSO comb - for clean up.
    OCtober Line Up.gif
    Septembers Injectors we fun but it'll be good to get back to Double Edges. The Short Comb Gillette has the least number of shaves in my den. Curious to see how it handles. I have no idea what blades work well in it. The Long Comb is a trusted tool. Probably load Feather blades and expect good service. Italian made FaTiP is know to be aggressive, though I've tamed it by swapping in a cap and handle from a Muhle R89 Grande. I'll run it stock, but with a mild blade. The Bunny is not only an Injector and Adjustable, the three combs are Open. It'll serve as clean up razor should I have issues with the first three. I'm not a Blade-O-Phile like The Czar, but I have a few different DE's to sample as the month rolls along. That covers my Focus for the month. Wildcards that keep it interesting; soaps, brushes, and aftershaves. Showing my lack of following the path I still have many untried sample soaps that distract me from using the other great soaps I want to use. Brushes will be dictated by soaps - boar for hard soaps, badger for soft, and synths whenever I feel like it. AS dictated by soap scent & the weather with menthols still being used.

Good to see the Regulars of The 30 Day Crew. Don't be shy inviting more folks to our group. Some members are hit or miss because of work or other issues so recruiting new blood is an ongoing endeavor.

16. BaylorGator

I'm here for your amusement, Neal. You're welcome.

FaceScraper, Drygulch, RyX and 6 others like this.
  17. BaylorGator

What in the world is that open comb straight frankenrazor contraption?!

FaceScraper, Drygulch, RyX and 6 others like this.
  18. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

In for OCtober!

OCtober 1, 2017

Doug Korn Omega Boar
    Panna Crema Nuavia Blu
    Wolfman Titanium WR1-OC with Copper Darwin
    Gillette Silver Blue
    Barrister and Mann Reserve Blue
    Brooks Brothers Blue

[​IMG] [​IMG]

19. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

That and the wide DE across from it are Durham Duplex razors and, I would guess, the root of possible shenanigans.

Neal can explain better than I, but the interesting part with those is the blade. The particular style has long gone out of favor as a shaving blade but is a popular flooring blade. Fortunately, Personna also makes a blade in this format which is used for Pathology applications.

20. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Sunday OCtober 1 - using Old Comfortable equipment all the way

Rockwell 6s on plate #3 / Topaz Platinum ( 2 )
    30DC LE Maple Cashmere synthetic brush
    My Red Green Duct Tape Special frankensoap
    Alum and Thayers Witch Hazel Original Rose Petal

For my first shave of the month I went with a non-OC DE razor because (a) it already had a partially used blade loaded, and (b) after a month of injectors I thought I would ease back into DE shaving with a relatively mild razor. My OC choices are a Fatip Grande and two Old Type Gillettes, all of which are fairly aggressive.

I have family visiting and will leave any potential dealers of nicks and weepers sitting in the razor rack until after the visit is over on Tuesday.

The 30DC brush did its usual stellar job with my Italian soft almond soap mix, and the frankensoap in turn gave me the usual excellent protective lather. It's a reliable combination.

I did one fast diagonal pass today to achieve a comfortable socially cleanshaven face. It's nowhere near a BBS but is good enough for a casual Sunday at home, and the alum detected no warm spots anywhere. It was a pleasant start to what I hope will be another good month here with the Crew.