The Brass General Goes Stainless

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DesertTime, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Colonial Razors released their newsletter this morning announcing that the Stainless General will be available for sale on 10/15/17. That also includes the Black Alum. General. Price was bumped up a bit from $59.99 to $64.99 because of the extra costs on the knurled handle. Happy hunting!!

IMG_0158.JPG

2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Now maybe someone will want to dump a brass one.

3. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Pardon my ignorance, please. But what blades go in this razor? Single edge, I am sure. But are they readily available? Are they the same as you buy for a Shavette? Can you snap a DE blade in half and use that?

Thanks, guys! I haven't used nor have I researched SE blades other than injector type.

4. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

There sing edge but not the kind you are thinking of. I believe they take the Artisan Club style and they are easily found on the web. You can buy some from Italian barber and other shaving websites

5. Str8on2

Good luck.....:signs011:

6. PickledNorthern

Thanks. They show up once in a while, but I have been too much of a skinflint.

Gotta pay to play......

Douglas Carey and Str8on2 like this.
  7. PickledNorthern

I would think you need to factor in country of manufacture.

Douglas Carey and Str8on2 like this.
  8. PickledNorthern

Feather Artist Club style blades.

[​IMG]

And then opens up a whole new rabbit hole.

9. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Thanks, guys!

Douglas Carey likes this.
  10. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I thought you owned a brass already?

Douglas Carey likes this.
  11. PickledNorthern

Just a black aluminum. When the brass came out, I had pretty much switched completely to straights, and I just haven’t been spending any money on safety razors. Hard to justify when they don’t get any real use. But for a General, I would swap my aluminum to brass or stainless, preferably brass.

Str8on2 likes this.
  12. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I heard the aluminum is an excellent shaver, too. I only have the brass so I have no comparison. The brass, for me, is the best razor I've used -- even tops my Futur and Variant.

Good luck on your hunt for the brass.

PickledNorthern and Str8on2 like this.
  13. PickledNorthern

The aluminum is an excellent razor. One of the best I have ever used. That is why I would be so willing to buy a brass one even though I hardly ever use safety razors any more.

DesertTime likes this.
  14. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

I enjoy my Brass General, but every time I pick it up I feel like I need to start lifting weights.

15. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

These two handles are very different.

general.jpg IMG_0158.JPG

The second one looks much better.

16. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

Can anyone point me to a link to purchase the brass variant of these? A Google search comes up with nil and Colonial's website just notes the SS and alum versions.

17. Str8on2

Limited run. No longer available.

18. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

Thanks.

That explains @PickledNorthern comments above. Limited run, low quantities and high prices on the used market mean brass may not be in my future.

19. Str8on2

They do pop up once in awhile on the BST. Just have to be on the lookout for when they do surface. Keep checking multiple forums. $$$ would be the only concern as sellers will undoubtedly jack them up a bit......

20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Also keep in mind Colonial dropped the price on the brass from 99 in the first batch. Those of us that adopted early sort of got the shaft on that one.