Has the craze leveled out finally?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Knox, Oct 13, 2017.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

It was bound to happen sometime.

Douglas Carey, FaceScraper and Jim99 like this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

With the disposable mindset of people who've generally never had to hang onto and use something as long as possible (Depression-era folks and their kids) . . .heck, phones are disposable every few years if not more often . . . I don't foresee a vast market in the future of Mach 3s, Sensors or Fusions. There just won't have been any saved, and what were saved will be in trashed condition even if they work, and THAT'S assuming carts are still available.

But at some point a few decades from now, there may well be a re-renaissance of durable DE wetshaving that could be narrower but even more pricey than the one of which we're coming to the end.

PLANofMAN, FaceScraper and Jim99 like this.
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

It can't be helped that they only started making razors in 1904. Just because you were born prior to their copyright isn't their fault. :happy097:

Shaver X, Douglas Carey, Knox and 4 others like this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The Weber and Tradere razors already have that status, so I'm sure you are right.

FaceScraper likes this.
  5. TADIII

TADIII Active Member

This would not surprise me; in 1962 Gillette was already advertising the Slim as "Trimmer...compact design, Slimmer, Longer, Lighter for easier handling." Powerful advertising, but they were cannibalizing their own 195 customers.

Tom

PLANofMAN and FaceScraper like this.
  6. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Wow...seems like I kinda kicked a hornet's nest by asking about the popularity of Fatboys! Certainly wasn't my intention...

I agree with your Mach3 vs: Fatboy comparison. If for no other reason, there's more demand for Mach3s. I don't personally know too many people who "kick it old school"; Most people I know use a Mach3 (or something similar - like disposables). And, none of them have any interest whatsoever in traditional gear. Yeah, those of us on wet shaving forums like the traditional stuff, but we're in the minority. In the area where I live, if I dumped a pile of razors out on the sidewalk with a "Free" sign - say 10 Mach3s and one DE razor (any vintage), I can guess which would disappear first - and what probably wouldn't get taken. It seems, at least for now, there are plenty of vintage Gillettes to go around for those who have interest in them.

If there is a slight decline in "The Hobby", that could be good for those of us who enjoy it. The last thing we want it for it to be considered a hipster thing, or something super cool and have too many people jump on the bandwagon. I like getting cheap stuff. I don't feel that's too much of a concern though. As a whole, people don't like change. Nor do they want to relearn how to do something they don't like doing in the first place.

Although I'm not currently in the market for more razors, I still look at The Bay. I get a kick out of seeing Fatboy listings where the seller is asking over $100, in worse condition than the ones I own - not an auction, just a "buy it now" option. Sometimes I feel like messaging the seller and asking "you don't really wanna sell that, do you?". Then there's the outlandish Toggles and Aristocrats, etc. That just gets funny! :D

BigMark83 likes this.
  7. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Great conversation, guys. Thanks for all the comments!

Shaver X and FaceScraper like this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The Slim was also much cheaper than the $1.95 Fatboy. At $1.50 (and later $1.79) it undercut the Fatboy by quite a bit.

FaceScraper likes this.
  9. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I have a Fatboy and really like it. However, I have purchased slims for my boys. Both provide a great shave.

Sent via Tapatalk

FaceScraper likes this.
  10. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Heck, if you look on E-Bay, they think that the ones made _this year_ are 'vintage'.

Shaver X, RyX and FaceScraper like this.
  11. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

I agree...the FB just looks like a work of art.

PLANofMAN and FaceScraper like this.
  12. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Yes prices do seem lower than before, but there are a plethora of NEW razors to choose from now, a few years ago there was not much choice ie EJ/Muhle and Merkur where the main choices for a bit, now there is so much choice.

Im not saying new is better than vintage, just that is one other reason for price change. as it sometimes is a risk to pay $100+++ for a vintage razor and hope it is as the seller described, where as you can pay the same and buy a brand new razor etc....

Shaver X, PLANofMAN, Knox and 3 others like this.
  13. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

Well if you follow the high end most rare Gillette Adjustables there has definitely been a drop off in prices/interest. There was a cased Serial Toggle for sale recently on eBay that 6 months ago would have gotten $4,000 to $5,000 and it failed to meet reserve at $1725. As far back as May 2017 there was a broken but repaired Serial Toggle that only went for $235!!!! I almost bought it just for the spare parts value! There is a Gillette 1-9 position Bottom Dial for auction as we speak on eBay. To me this will be a very important sale. It ends Saturday. The last bottom dial went for $1500 in April and it was a rat that had to be revamped at Razor Emporium. Let's see how well this new auction performs. The bidding is currently is at $770. Weak for this razor. We shall see.

The good news is it's a buyer's market and these rare beauties can be had at a substantial discount right now.

RyX, FaceScraper and mrchick like this.
  14. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Clearly this and most threads under "Safety Razors" show the mania has not leveled!! Outside of this community though, many may have decided to skip the RAD and settle for one or two razors that work or even to take advantage of the lowered cart prices by Gillette and others.

Shaver X, FaceScraper and mrchick like this.
  15. FaceScraper

I'm certainly glad that I'm a "user grade" guy and not a collector. No offense, but in the event I ever drop a few grand on a razor, I hope someone close to me has me committed. :)

Shaver X, RyX, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  16. GlennConti

I see your point. But, without the high end collectors, the really nice examples of the rarest Gillettes would vanish off the face of the earth. Someone should preserve them I think.

RyX and mrchick like this.
  17. FaceScraper

Oh, I have nothing against collectors! It's just that I'm not a collector of anything, in the true sense of the word anyway. When I get into a hobby, I tend to amass items. However, those items are meant to be used. You won't find a display case of any sort in our house. For those that are into it, and can afford to have nothing but the very best, that's perfectly fine!

Furthermore, collectors tend to be the anal retentive sorts, which is also good. In many ways, they also become historians. They show their collections, and also the knowledge that goes along with them.

And, by the way - that's a very nice collection that you have!

18. GlennConti

Ha ha - anal retentive! I've never put a razor anywhere near my butt! I definitely like to share information about my collection. Anyone that is interested can go to www.gilletteadjustable.com to get more info. It is like a digital museum for Gillette Adjustables.

LOOT, PanChango, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  19. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

My collection has topped close to 90 razors, all but 14 (and one more in the mail) given to one of my grandsons. Three Fatboys and three Slims, a couple of '41 Ranger Techs, a '46 SS "hybrid", a Goodwill, Contract Techs, Heavy Techs, a V3, a dozen or more Super Speeds, four Milords (mint '46, '47' '49, and a well-worn '51), Black Beauties...all good shavers, but nothing to write home about. Good, solid user-grade razors. Fatboys didn't impress me enough to keep, but the toggle did (plus, it has the cool factor going for it). It shaves almost as good as my '41 Ranger Tech (so far, the best of the remaining lot), but not as good as my other V3.

I've been watching the prices rather closely over the past two years or so. There are some good deals on the 'bay to be had, but also some really stupid high prices for common razors. This may be a reason of any apparent "leveling out" in our hobby, because buyers know what the prices should be, and some sellers think they have a rarity just because something's old. Folks just aren't gonna pay those prices. Then you have the really stupid guys, like the one trying to pass off a '49 Milord as a '41.

Keithmax and FaceScraper like this.
  20. Missing Lynx

Missing Lynx Well-Known Member

I have a few questions and only two vintage razors so bear with me.

1. Looking around and not including adjustables, I can find a decent all three piece and TTO brass razors for @ 15-30. Then looking on a variety of sites I can find new Zamak head razors from$20 to 80+ . Why would some pay more fro an alloy that reportedly doesn't hold up as well as something 50 to 60 years old and tested.

2. Stainless steel razors are EXPENSIVE. Why would you pay that much for the latest and greatest? Looking around here it seems like a former(?) user Darkbulb was the main cheerleader pushing them and got quite a group to follow his cause. What makes them so good in comparison, it is just a status thing or is it really worth the $200+ bucks for the experience?

3. Finding sites like Mr Razor the older razors are so pretty, why do people seem to go out of their way to replate razors in a finish that they weren't made and expect us to pay more, not less for the chance of buying something non standard and therefore of lesser collector value. (I am still reading on here and sure there are plenty of discussions I haven't read.)

4. Can I open the can of worms like this and not get flamed out of this forum for my ignorance? Please be gentle. :(

5. If this is too off topic, please move it to an appropriate location.

Shaver X and FaceScraper like this.