Finally....All RADs Are Gone.

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Redrock, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

I have no more desire for any new razors, soaps, or brushes (unless a SE/LE that really strikes my interest) pops up. I have not purchased a razor for a number of years. The vintage Gillette and lone Krona razors serve me nicely. I have many very nice brushes (badger/boar/mixed/horse). I have soaps I do not use:sad027:. The only replenishment will be blades. I have 40 or so Astra SPs and 40 or so Gillette Yellows and a couple dozen Feathers which I do not use (too sharp). With 3 shaves per blade it will be well in to next year before a blade purchase.

Good feeling.

SharptoothC, Demidog, LOOT and 16 others like this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yep, sure is. There's several things I would still like to try but nothing that I really desire anymore to hunt down and own.

Redrock, Demidog, LOOT and 4 others like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Except for Schick type F, I'm not looking for anything new. Feels good enjoying what I already have. Doesn't mean I won't make an impulse buy, but I'm not looking.

Redrock, Demidog, Spud and 3 others like this.
  4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I was good for a few years, but picked up a couple razors and soaps this year.

A temporary relapse with a renewed interest.

Redrock, Spud, DesertTime and 3 others like this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'm right there with ya.

Redrock and dscaver like this.
  6. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I hear ya man. I'm likely going to send a razor to Jay @ Delta Echo, and I plan on purchasing a Shavemac brush in a few months. After that, it'll be blades and soap. I may try a new soap here or there, but my ADs are dying down as well.

Redrock, LOOT and Tdmsu like this.
  7. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I am all set with the 2011 R41 W/ Sabi handle, Shavemac Flat Top W/Rudy Vey handle. Add in Stirling Electric Sheep, a few different blade stashes, and some drug store aftershaves; yep, I am set. This is the reason I don't post in the SOS threads; my shaves are all the same.

Redrock, RyX, Tdmsu and 1 other person like this.
  8. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

I'm happy for you, Ed.
    I guess I am not "there" yet.
    I always see something that catches my interest. But I use the excuse of my limited shelf space for a reason to control my shaving gear ADs.
    At least when I trade, I know that I can fit the gear on my shelf when it comes in.

Redrock, Tdmsu and RyX like this.
  9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

My ADs have died down quite a bit. I have all the razors I set out to get. If I stumble across something that piques my interest and the price is right, well...

The only thing I need right now is soap.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    Redrock, LOOT, RyX and 2 others like this.
  10. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I'm Not there yet, but I get it.

Redrock and RyX like this.
  11. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I'm down to the wire myself...I packed away my '41 Ranger Tech last night, and will continue to cull out the remaining 14 until I get to the last 3 or 4 keepers. I've enough blades & soaps to last until I get shoved in an oven and my ashes stuffed into one of my old coffeepots. There may be another oddball razor I'll come across, but not actively seeking them out anymore.

Redrock, LOOT, RyX and 2 others like this.
  12. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

My Rockwell 6s has cured my RAD for now. Of course, I said the same thing with my 39c Vorschlaghammer and Merkur Futur. ;)

So far so good.

Metro, Redrock, Spud and 2 others like this.
  13. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I've thought about trying to narrow my collection to no more than 10 safety razors and 5 straight razors, but I've been unable to make that leap.

I would keep the following:

Fatboy
    New
    40's super speed
    Gem Damaskeene
    Schick adjustable
    Schick E
    Gem g-bar
    Gem MMOC
    Merkur 34c
    Edwin Jagger 89bl

Genco SR
    Kiebitz SR
    Engstrom SR
    Charles Adam SR
    Wadsworth SR

That would leave me with about 25 to unload. One of the secrets to life is to travel light.

14. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Of course that list will change tomorrow.

Redrock and CarlfromMO like this.
  15. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I've traded my shaving AD's for CAG(Cigar Acquisition Disorder).
    If it ain't one thing, it's another.

Redrock, LOOT, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  16. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Like you, I didn't buy a new razor or brush for six years. This year, however, I explored SE razors and synthetic brushes, so my razor and brush count creeped up. I plan on selling off a bunch of razors.

Redrock, RyX, Jim99 and 1 other person like this.
  17. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

You don't use the Bob's Razor Works Bull Mastiff instead of the SABI?

Redrock likes this.
  18. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Correct! I still have the BRW handle, but since it is nickel it sort of looks wrong with the chrome R41 head. The Sabi handle looks better because it is chrome. I like that the BRW handle has the magnet on the bottom though...

Redrock likes this.
  19. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Right on. That makes sense. I had forgotten that the Muhle razors are chromed rather than nickel.

Redrock likes this.
  20. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I am pretty much done with my ADs, too. :happy097:

Redrock, Enrico, LOOT and 2 others like this.