Has the craze leveled out finally?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Knox, Oct 13, 2017.

1. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I buy modern and vintage (especially German) zamak razors because "how they hold up" is not how I measure the value of a razor. They shave different and in some cases much better for me then vintage Gillettes so I buy them. I shave with them and treat them well, they will outlive me.

LOOT, Shaver X and FaceScraper like this.
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

If, I were to buy a new razor let alone stainless steel; I'd get a Rockwell S6 and that's the tops I'd pay, but that's just me singing like a little bird CHEAP, CHEAP CHEAP! :D

FaceScraper and jimjo1031 like this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

of course you could get the 6C like the one I have, great shaver at half the price..........

FaceScraper likes this.
  4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Yes, the craze is levelled out.... well its on a down turn. The Dark Side has been successful in our recruiting efforts, more and more straight users has reduced the demand for vintage DE razors. :duel: :scared003:

FaceScraper likes this.
  5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I was panicked by the Zamac scare of 2015 and moved to stainless steel razor. Actually, I like the way they look and feel. Why do people buy gold jewelry when silver works great too? Or just plating in gold. I prefer heavy aggressive razors, stainless fits the bill. I also found I prefer the shaves of the modern aggressive razors. Worth is very subjective, one man's trash is another man's treasure. It is what it is, no sense in getting upset by it.

I only replated one razor, a Barbasol floating head. I liked it so much I wanted it to look pretty.

BigMark83 and FaceScraper like this.
  6. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

First off, welcome to TSD @Missing Lynx ! I think you're going to like it here!

Basically it comes down to this - It's your shave, enjoy it your way. You'll see that motto in posts rather frequently here. And, fortunately, the fine folks here on TSD feel that way. You won't find snobbery here.

As far as the plated and alloy razors, they aren't as bad as some feel they are. So long as you take care of them, they'll give you a lifetime of use. If you're careless with them - dropping, leaving the blades in and/or not drying off before putting away, etc. then, yes, you may see issues with the plating. I have two modern razors that still look like the day I bought them. Look at all the vintage plated Gillettes. There are plenty of good examples of razors that have stood the test of time. Chances are, if you take good care of your razor, it'll outlive you.

Stainless razors are gorgeous. They're also pricey, just like you mentioned. And, hence the name, they are stain-less, not stain-proof. Given the price, you'd certainly want to take good care of them as well. Although I can't say that I'll never splurge on an expensive stainless razor, I don't have any on my radar.

As far as replating, it's all personal preference. I love the look of the originals, but I also love the look of some of the replated ones too. As I've stated numerous times before in various posts, I'm not a collector. So, for me anyway, I'm not worried about the value of the razor for purposes of resale value (or collector value). I simply look for razors that I'm going to use. If you're an aspiring collector, then you'll definitely want to consult with other collectors. And, just like anything else that is collectible, original is preferable.

What it boils down to, buy the razors that you want, and that fit your budget. There are no wrong choices. Opinions on *anything* are just that - opinions. The only one that truly matters is your own. In the most simplistic manner, a razor does nothing more than clamp a razor blade so you can shave. Aside from that, it's all personal preference. Prefer vintage? New? $20 budget? $200 budget? There's a razor out there for you!

Will a $200 razor shave better than a $20 razor? Not necessarily. Which brings me to yet another "catchphrase" you'll see on the forum - Technique Trumps Tools. Once you establish good technique, you should be able to pick up any DE razor and get a nice, close, comfortable shave wth it - regardless of how much it costs.

Again, welcome to TSD! If you want help on your technique, jump on over to the 30 Day Rule/Focus group. There are a bunch of wonderful folks who can answer questions and guide you on your way. Just be forewarned - there are no cookies - no matter what you might hear!

Happy shaving, and have a great day! :)

7. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

"...why do people seem to go out of their way to replate razors in a finish that they weren't made and expect us to pay more, not less for the chance of buying something non standard and therefore of lesser collector value."

Why did my neighbor repaint his '56 Chevy sedan Tweetybird yellow? Because he *wanted to*. If he sold it, would he get more than what he paid? Probably.

Enrico, Bookworm and FaceScraper like this.
  8. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Is it my imagination or do sellers tend to price the travel Techs with the silly little handles for more than classics like the pre-War Fat Handle?

FaceScraper, Enrico and Linuxguile like this.
  9. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I don't. :D

FaceScraper, Knox and John Ruschmeyer like this.
  10. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

This is the RazoRock Mamba, a stainless steel razor for $50. They are currently out of stock, but more is expected in a couple of weeks over at Italian Barber
    [​IMG]

11. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Zamac has been used in razors at least since the Korean War and there are brazillions of near new looking zamac head Gillette Techs out there today. It works and has proven to be durable and at least as good as brass from a durability stand point. In terms of retaining good looks it does far better than plated brass.

Razors have almost no real collectors value.

Some modern razors actually perform better than some experienced razors.

I have quite a few experienced razors but only a few I can call vintage. I also have quite a few new still learning razors and they work as well and in a few instances better than the experienced ones.

Some experienced TTOs but none are vintage:
    [​IMG]

Two Zamac head Techs and a modern SS Feather AS-D2
    [​IMG]

Recent Comparison of five Gillettes and five modern Phase 1:
    [​IMG]

The winners of Phase1 in the front row. Only two Gillettes made it to Phase two:
    [​IMG]

Only one of the two Gillettes made it through Phase 2:
    [​IMG]
    It's interesting that only two vintage razors made it to the winner side in the second phase while four vintage razors were not as pleasant or effective as the newer ones.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  12. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I was talking with a customer the other day who is an antique dealer. He told me that the market for antiques is going soft because the young people don't want them so the market is all the graybeards. I wonder if that is a factor or maybe a fad that is passing.

13. Missing Lynx

Missing Lynx Well-Known Member

Actually, many a car guy will tell you that you never get out of a car restoration what you put into it when you sell it. The exceptions are usually highly desired cars and models that have very few remaining.

Otherwise, thanks for all the answers to my question, I have been lurking here an there are quite a few interesting razors that I see. A few if you seem to have a cash flow problem; you see shaving equipment and the cash flows. Right now I am still trying to get my head around some of the things you talk about, but I did buy a brush for $2.99 from china based on a recommendation I saw here.

Shaver X, FaceScraper, Knox and 3 others like this.
  14. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Many of us have followed Spock's dictum; "Live long and accumulate". When you have been shaving with safety razors for over a half century, just one or two razors or brushes a year leads to sizable piles of stuff. Fortunately razors and brushes are like fountain pens; take care of them and they will last many generations.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  15. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

If it's the one Jimjo recommended (and I seconded :D) you will like it - I can't find anything I dislike about it for £3! And it's still my only badger brush although I think I may get a Simpson at Christmas from my better half

16. brit

brit in a box

still looking for a #16 rhodium brit aristoctat without remortgaging the house.

17. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I think a lot of it has to do with people taking a step back and coming to their senses. Six thousand dollars for a razor, no matter how rare, is ridiculous. Unless, of course, the razor is gold, ivory and encrusted with jewels. Also, a lot of the initial wave of accumulators are likely downsizing their huge collections as their hobby focus changes. That would increase supply and moderate prices.

As others have pointed out, there are a ton of currently manufactured, high quality razors at affordable prices. That is in marked contrast to 10 years ago when Merkur and a few low-end razors were the only new models readily available.

18. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

I never could find the bottom dial you spoke of. However, a serial toggle ended today at $810....a steal compared to the prices commanded in the past 12-18 months.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Dan_Wahrenberger and FaceScraper like this.