Protect stainless razor with car wax?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Eeyore, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

This morning, while cleaning my Mühle Rocca R96, I found a tiny rust spot. Fortunately I could easily wipe it off using some vinegar and a paper cloth. I blame the Rapira blades, and my neglect to remove the blade after each shave ...

Anyway, would it be an idea to apply a coat of car wax (turtle wax) on the razor head? I can't see a reason for not doing it ... if anything, it would make the head glide even more easily ;) Or am I overlooking something?

Thanks!

BTW, I took the opportunity to rub the whole razor head with vinegar ... every trace of soap scum is gone now, so this would be a great moment to apply a protective coat.

sdguero, RyX and Linuxguile like this.
  2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I use turtle wax on some Gillette New's that have lost all of their gold plating to prevent the raw brass from tarnishing as quickly.

sdguero and Eeyore like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Don't know about the Turtle Wax, put a lead pencil takes off rust real nice. No, not the eraser end, use the lead end. Really!

sdguero, RyX and Eeyore like this.
  4. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I don't think wax would hurt, but I wouldn't worry about it. I also wouldn't routinely clean my razors with vinegar.

I rinse my razor after each use, leave the blade in, and let it air dry. I change my blade every 3 days or so. Sometimes then I'll clean it with some hand soap and a toothbrush to remove the soap film. This has worked well for me for several years.

sdguero likes this.
  5. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

This is the first time in almost a year that I thoroughly cleaned it. I gave the non-coated metal parts a thin wax layer, and they look shiny and smooth.

I'm not sure how long the wax coat actually lasts, with metal against metal. We'll see.

Spyder, sdguero and wristwatchb like this.
  6. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

Every so often i will polish my razors using this ... works great!

Screenshot_20171107-215124.jpg

sdguero likes this.
  7. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Your worrying way too much. Dip the razor in alcohol while the head is loosened if it is that big of a deal.

LuvWetShavin and Enrico like this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs011: I remove the blade and do that.

9. ralphs007

ralphs007 Member

Great wax,and very nice to work with.I use this on my roll top desk,that I use for fly tying.

LuvWetShavin likes this.
  10. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Removing the blade will go along way toward preventing mosture residue. The other thing I do religiously is do a good hot rinse and wipe down after each use. These two things seemed to work for me (vintage razors). Since you're starting with "stainless" I would think that you have less to worry about. Some type of wax. Won't hurt anything. Maybe overkill? But did I mention that I also use a can of compressed air on my TTO's to blown out the hinges and down the pipe. Me. Guilty as charged. Have at it....