Difficult to clear blade to continue shaving

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by James_P, Nov 11, 2017.

1. James_P

James_P Well-Known Member

Hey all. I hope this makes sense. When I shave almost every time I run water to clear out the bit of hair and soap I have to remove the razor from the head to get it all out. Anyone else have theses issues? I am using a Mehaz short handle razor with feather blades made in Japan

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    Ijustmissedthe50s and RyX like this.
  2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Are you saying you have to remove the blade in the middle of the shave? My recommendation then would be to maybe use a thinner lather.

3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome to TSD @James_P . I am not familiar with the Mehaz DE razor, but it looks much like a Weishi, Micro Touch One, etc that are recent clones of the old Gillette Flare Tip.
    I'd ask a question; How often to you shave? If you are a once-a- week shaver that's just the function of having long beard to deal with. Otherwise the stubble ought to be short enough to rinse out easily. Maybe your lather is on the thick side? (You beat me to it Jared @PickledNorthern !) It could be holding the shaved stubble in place.

While you're waiting for more answers, visit The Welcome Center to make your introductions, & The Newbie Giveaway. A chance to win some internet spending credit on soap and products. Read the rules to be sure you qualify.

4. James_P

Yes that is correct.

I guess I will try to make sure the soap is thin. I use proraso moisturizing and nourishing

TobyC, Jim99 and RyX like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

This product?
    71O2PwOSIrL._SY679_.gif
    I haven't tried it, but I do enjoy Proraso Red from a tub. It's probably already thinner in the tube being a cream. Do you use a shave brush or a bowl? Straight from the tube it probably needs some water to juice it up.

preidy, TobyC and Jim99 like this.
  6. James_P

I use a preshave and the brush and bowl for soap. The smaller jar is the pre shave [​IMG]

Jim99 and RyX like this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

Ahh, OK! Same Proraso Red in a tub that I use. I haven't tried the preshave products from them.
    I do think @PickledNorthern nailed it as to needing a juicier lather. He's quite the Wiz at helping folks attain their best from most any soap. If you'd like some help from a bunch of folks, He, I, and a bunch of guys referred to as The 30 Day Crew hang out in The 30 Rule/Focus Group. Always room for another new shaver trying out old products, or old shavers learning new tricks. It's a no pressure, come as you are environment where folks experiment, make adjustments to their technique, dare to admit we nick ourselves, and sometimes talk about everyday stuff. Feel free to zoom to the end of the thread after you read the Opening Statement by our Leader Neal @NCoxSTL.

8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Welcome aboard! I'd suggest thinner lather and no pre shave. Trust!

Have fun with it!

Jim99, James_P and Zykris like this.
  9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Agree.

James_P likes this.
  10. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I had that issue at one point too. Someone on this forum recommended thinning the lather just a bit and it solved the issue for me.

James_P likes this.
  11. James_P

Thanks all. My razor is starting to rust and the chrome is flaking off. It was not expensive when I got it. I have been looking at vintage razors on eBay. I figure if they been around 50+ years they are built well. Should I buy brand new or is vintage ok?

RyX likes this.
  12. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Most of my razors are what I call experienced, over a half century old now, and a few even old enough to be considered vintage. You shouldn't be seeing any rust with that shaver if it is one of the Weishi rebrands (and it does look like the Weishi 9306) since the base is brass IIRC.

The type you have is called Twist to Open or TTO and when I finish a shave with one of my TTOs I partially open the doors but not far enough to let the blade slip out and stick it under running water. Usually that will get it clean quickly.

13. RyX

RyX DoH!

There are advantages to buying Vintage. As @jar mentioned - these have been around and served their previous users. Otherwise they's have been tossed in the trash. If you are thinking about a vintage TTO-DE (here comes the technological acronyms. We're talking about a Twist To Open-Double Edge) something similar to yours (on the right - a Micro Touch One - MTO) might be an easy to find and inexpensive Flare Tip by Gillette (on the left).
    Flair Tip & MTO a.gif
    Made for years with little variation, they are a good investment, because if you don't like it, it might resell for what you paid for it.
    The many Clones of this classic Gillette can feel different when shaving since the tolerances are small. Unless they are damaged the Gillettes all of this type all shave the same.

I'd hate to muddy the waters by introducing too many other types of razors. If you are curious there is a thread where folks post their Shave of the Day. You'll see all kinds of other types. Some are Mild, others Aggressive but in general they are just DE blade holders. Most folks are pleased to have someone ask questions about their gear. If you use the Private Message function you can carry on conversations without filling up any specific thread with Q & A sessions.

Jim99, jtspartan, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  14. James_P

Thanks!

I was looking at the super speeds on eBay. They are about 30-40.

15. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Here are some of the different Gillette TTOs.

[​IMG]
    There were two basic style of Super Speed, ones where the handle is straight (the earlier version) and a later version where the tip of the handle is flared. The four on the right are all Super Speeds, two straight handle 1940s models and two post war Flair Tips.

In that picture, from the left: five versions of adjustable models, then three upscale versions of the TTO, and then the four Super Speeds.

'65 G-Slim, Jim99, jtspartan and 2 others like this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Hello there. I'm sorry if I'm missing the point but does loosening the doors just slightly when rinsing make any difference?

RyX likes this.
  17. James_P

Yea I tried that. I think my lather was way too thick

RyX likes this.
  18. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Welcome aboard and a good question. I learned some interesting things reading the replies. 346x0f4.jpg

James_P and RyX like this.
  19. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I'd say keep searching for Super Speeds. I've seen many go for less than $20.00 in good shape.

TobyC and RyX like this.
  20. RyX

RyX DoH!

That may fall under "assumed knowledge". It's in the instructions, but who reads those?
    As Instructed.gif