DORCO Pace... Private Label TopCare

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by EnglishChannel, Nov 1, 2017.

1. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

It must have been 7-8 years ago, when I started to actively look for a cheaper alternative to the Gillette cartridge dynasty. Then Sam's Club started carrying a deodorant multi-pack containing a FREE 5 blade Gillette Fusion razor + 2 carts. This was my favorite deodorant at the time, so I really stocked up on these free razors. The Fusion works well enough, but eventually I started running out of the free stuff.

And replacement cartridges were way more than I liked to pay. I started using a variety of cartridge razors, picking up a handle and several carts at clearance prices - whatever I could find. You know the story.

I stumbled on this TopCare brand 6 blade razor on clearance at my local grocery store. Bought it, liked it OK, and bought all they had left... never to see the brand again. Switched to DE a few months later and forgot about it. Relegated to the storage stash.

My recently rekindled interest in cheap razors had me researching the Dorco Pace brand online. Dorco Pace is the supplier for the Dollar Shave Club razors.
    As I look at the pictures online, me thinks, that 6 blade handle/cartridge looks real familiar. So I dig out the TopCare. Yep, that's a Dorco.
    DORCO_PACE_TopCare_Razor_black1.jpg
    The thing that is cool, is how modular the design is. I forgot how cool this thing looks.
    DORCO_Pace_TopCare_Modular.jpg
    AND - "Dorco Pace’s technologically advanced patented common docking system" allows you to use any razor cartridge and handle interchangeably. That means my TopCare handle will accept any 3, 4, 6, 6+ or 7 blade Dorco cartridge. Now that's interesting, and it sounds like fun. Guess I'll be trying that out soon.

2. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

I use the Pace 4, any more blades than that clog too easily for me. They are good carts, shave every bit as well as Gillette and last just as long. You have to watch for Dorco sales, they are very frequent if you give them your email address, because their "standard" price is on a par with Gillette at Sam's Club.

EnglishChannel likes this.
  3. EnglishChannel

Thanks for sharing your experience. I will definitely sign up for the promotions.

I will be looking to get at least some 3 & 4 blade cartridges for this system.

My favorite cartridge razor is still the 2 blade Atra, but the Gillette Mach 3 is not far behind. Cost has always played a big role in determining whether I continue to buy and use a particular system.

I'm looking forward to trying out the full range of the Dorco cartridges, just for the fun of it.

4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Somewhere around here, I have a review of the Pace 3. And ditto on signing up with dorcousa.com they have very good sales all the time.

5. EnglishChannel

Found it. THANKS!
    theshaveden.com/forums/threads/review-dorco-pace-3-mach-3-equivalent.36611/#post-892706

richgem likes this.
  6. EnglishChannel

Here it is.

richgem likes this.
  7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Thanks. :)

8. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

While it's rare that a Dorco handle is defective, I just sent one back for a head pivot problem. Since this is my first need for their customer service I'm not sure what to expect, more to follow.

9. EnglishChannel

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am interested to hear what kind of response you get from their CS.

Which handle did you have the problem with.

I was also wondering if you bought the razor online, or from a local store.

10. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

It was a Pace 6 plus. While I have one of each handle except the Pace 7, I consider the original Pace 6 black handle version their most comfortable handle. I buy all thier stuff from their website.

11. EnglishChannel

Thanks for answering my question. I appreciate hearing that your favorite handle is the black one (that's the one I have).
    Did their customer service resolve your problem?

Since I am interested in trying some of their other blades, I was looking at the Lucky Seven sets a few days ago on their website.
    The handle in that set looks like my black one, but with gold accent upgrades.
    I was tempted by the set that included the Lucky Tiger shave cream and aftershave because I see members here using those products.
    It was on sale then, but now that has ended.

I also noticed that they no longer offer free shipping on CONUS orders.
    Guess I will wait and see if they have another sale that interests me.

12. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

They just received the returned handle Friday so it will take a few days to assess that razor and, hopefully, send out a new one. Regardless of what they choose to do I still recommend their carts as a solid economical alternative to Schick and Gillette and I've had no issues with their other handles.

13. EnglishChannel

I'll be anxious to hear of the outcome.

I have been reviewing shaving costs since I recently discovered that Gillette had launched their "Welcome Back" campaign late last year.
    Part of their approach includes reduced pricing and subscription cartridge replacement, to compete with Harry's Razor.
    I have seen cartridge prices reduced in some local stores, to the point you can get the Mach3 carts for the same price as the Atra & TracII (~$1.98/cart).
    I wonder if the Atra/TracII are on the way to extinction (they were my favorite cartridge shave for a long time). Still, that's ~ $2.00 per cart.

Anyway, Dorco runs about $.50 cheaper (without a sale price).
    I switched to the traditional stuff 7+ years ago to save money.
    But even though the cost seems to be dramatically less, the traditional products require additional investment of time/skill.
    Sometimes I just want to get a fast but effective shave and get on with my day.

BOTTOM LINE
    If I can get a full month (28 days) of great shaves from a $1.50 cartridge razor, it is almost as cheap as DE razor blades used 7 days each.
    I get really good results from my Dorco/Pace 6. Seems like a great deal to me!

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the Dorco line.

14. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

You could also try the Barbasol Ultra 6. Its a rebranded Dorco Pace 6 disposable.

15. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

The best I ever get from a DE is 4 shaves, 3 from a SE and I typically get 7 to 9 from a Mach 3 or Dorco Pace 4 so the cost works out pretty even provided I get the carts on sale. I tried the Pace 6 and came to the conclusion that "just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be done". I had to rinse the cart after every stroke due to clogging, can't even imagine how fast a Pace 7 would clog.

For the record, I get almost as clean a shave from a DE and SE with a single pass WTG as I do with a cart, I think it all depends on the angle and speed of the razor. I simply prefer the n0-hassle cart approach.

gorgo2 and EnglishChannel like this.
  16. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

In response to my first communication with Dorco CS I was told they would send a new handle as soon as they received mine, they lied. When I followed up today I was told their representatives are looking at my razor, no promise of when I might get a handle but it sounds like when they get around to it. Not sure what I would be expected to do if this was my only handle, they don't seem to care! I still recommend their carts, the original Pace 6 handle only and I certainly don't have much good to say about their CS.

I ordered a Harry's sampler today.

17. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Received a new Pace 6 (black handle) which is a far better razor than the new Pace 6 plus. I'm still not impressed with their CS; for a razor that retails for $6.50 USD you would think there wouldn't be a waiting period to get a replacement, especially for a well known and documented failure mode! I'm waiting to take my Harry's for a test drive then I'll decide which I go with. I like the mechanical design of the Harry's over the Dorco but only a couple of weeks of shaving will show which is actually better. I think Harry's is a little cheaper per cart and I like their subscription plan.

18. EnglishChannel

Thanks for the update.
    Let us know what you decide on the Harry's vs Dorco.

Inquiring minds want to know.
    :signs002:

19. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Based on the design and superior customer service, I'm sticking with Dorco. Perhaps if Harry's comes out with a non-trimmer cart like their original was I'll give it a try.

gorgo2 likes this.