Mühle Rocca stainless steel razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Eeyore, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

I could see it being a bit more aggressive than the R89. It appears to have a bit more blade gap. It looks like a nice shaver though and the price isnt bad. Its really only about $15 more than an R89 Grande.

Spud likes this.
  2. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I think it’s a fair price for the quality.

3. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I was reading on another blog (Shave Nook) that one particular buyer had a pin on the cap fall out. It appears the pins are glued in! Disappointing. I emailed Brian at The Executive Shaving Company and he says the cap is all one piece. I believe he is incorrect; it does appear that the pins are separate pieces.

4. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

Yes i read that post and seen the picture, pretty obvious it's not a one piece stainless steel head

Spud likes this.
  5. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

As per my response from Muhle USA:

Per Andreas Muller: " I would like to take the opportunity and give you some background information:

The steel we are using for this product stainless steel 316L. The steel is an excellent steel for cutlery and surgical tools.

The pins are welded to the top plate. We had 4 cases of broken pins so far amongst all the Rocca razors we have produced so far. (ca 1000 pcs).

The welding process has been immediately improved and we do focus on this detail when doing the QC checks.

The razors are not made in a casting process but partially CNC milled.

I believe this rather speaks for the quality of the product and it´s material."

GAB - German American Beauty
    3100 NW 2nd Avenue, Suite 223
    Boca Raton, FL 33431
    561-750-7289
    www.muehleusa.com

Keithmax likes this.
  6. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

Thank you, sir. :)

7. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

How do I tell the difference between a v1.0 and a v2.0 Muhle Rocca razor ??

8. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Easy; look at the photos I posted earlier.

Edit: maybe that was in another thread ... but I have seen it reposted in other shaving forums, so Google should be able to find it.

Actually, here it is:
    https://goo.gl/images/6R2MmA
    --
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Keithmax likes this.
  9. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the review ; I’ve been looking for information on the Rocca.

10. dangermouse

I'm not so impressed with the Rocca. I'm very polite in my video review and I must tell you, the customer service and response from Mühle has been excellent.

I find it to be a rough shave on the first pass. It pulls and tugs a little but the overall feeling is one of roughness. This experience has been mentioned by a few subscribers. I've used a variety of blades, all of which I have shaved with before: Derby Extra; Feather; Israeli Blue; Voskhod and a few more beside. The feeling was common across all blades. The best shave (least rough) was the Derby Extra, the worse was the Feather! Awful.

I have found, on mine, that there is an issue with blade alignment. I am awaiting a new head to be sent from Germany. It may explain, although the mis-alignment was minimal, why I felt the Rocca to be more aggressive than my v2 R41.

One of my subscribers had the issue The posts breaking off and another wrote to Mühle U.S.A., asking if there were any known issues with the razor. This was flagged in the reply.

My opinion, is that for nearly £100, which is a great deal of money to some people, the Rocca should be perfect. It seems some of them aren't.

SpeedyPC, Keithmax and MR41 like this.
  11. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Thank you for your candor; it helps a great deal.

dangermouse likes this.
  12. dangermouse

Update:

I received a new head for my Mühle ROCCA, sent from Germany, with a hand written apology from Mr. Andreas Müehler, who I believe is the grandson of the gentlemen that started the business; I will have to check. That is absolutely first class customer service! It seems I originally received a razor that should not have passed through their QC checks.

As for the new head - it is amazing! Thank goodness. The difference between the old one and this new one is night and day. The roughness has gone and the blade aligns properly. It's a razor where I can certainly feel the blade but the shave is smooth and comfortable with no irritation. Danke shön, Herr Müeller.

13. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Thanks to this thread (@Eeyore), I purchased a Rocca R96 V3 black handle razor. The quality of the Rocca is what those familiar with Muhle products would expect: a well made razor using quality materials (even their ZAMAC razors were well made). The size, weight and balance are what I look for in a razor.

I won't go into detail about how the razor shaves as that's subjective and that's been well covered by others in this thread. I found it smooth and very efficient.

There is one small caveat, however. If you "ride the cap" with this razor, you might be in for a fairly rough shave. For a smooth shave, I found it most effective to take an opposite approach. Start with the handle vertical, parallel to you face, and rotate the handle upward until you feel and hear those whiskers sliced away.

I compared the Rocca head to the head of my GC and the Rocca bends the blade much more, like an adjustable razor on a low setting. So you'll need to adjust your angle to ensure you're cutting with the blade bezel. This would likely seem a more natural approach to those familiar with adjustable shaving, where for better shaves, it's often necessary to adjust your angle with the razor setting; steeper angles for lower settings worked for me (steeper based on the customary "ride the cap" approach).

Aside from that, it is an excellent SS razor at a reasonable price. Fit, finish, weight and balance are better than my current favorite fixed head DE, the GC. I'll need to shave with it some more to see if it unseats my GC.

Frijolero and Keithmax like this.
  14. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

@DesertTime thanks! I am, and have always been, a big fan of "face feel". Use your razor in the way it feels best on your face, regardless of the angle. "Riding the cap" is a starting point, but no more than that.

Frijolero, DesertTime and Keithmax like this.