Looking for a Modern Berkeley like Safety Razor?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Weasel640, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

So while browsing the bay I came across the Berkeley Adjustable Razor. My wife who currently is scared to use any of my Safety Razors saw it and exclaimed that she could shave with something like that. I.E. the flat/thick handle of it really drew her in as something she could hold better.

So are there any thick handled mild Safety Razors currently being made that resemble the Berkeley Safety Razor? Maybe in a two piece?

2. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

3. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

4. Weasel640

5. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Perhaps the Schick Type H, AKA Ladies Fashion Razor:
    [​IMG]

RyX likes this.
  6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    This thread should have some info, but I don't think anyone is making a similar modern razor.

7. Weasel640

Yes, thank you I have seen this one. I've only read through the first page tho. I'll take a look through the rest. It blows me away that with as good of a review that the Berkeley Custom Shaver gets that no one is trying to re-create a modern Safety Razor version of it. The market really doesn't go that far in regards to products for women. Sure they have some differing colors to choose from. But then you factor in the reach that they have for some parts, coupled with say arthritis and those extra color mean absolutely nothing. If you look at the Merkur HD (34C) two piece design, great shaver. How hard would it really be to widen that handle into something that is more ergonomic for people who have trouble gripping the smaller handles? Until that happens I feel that a lot of women may bet more comfortable just sticking with their throw away cartridge.

Haven't seen this one yet. How hard are they to find in good condition? How mild are they? What is the expected blade life for say arms and legs worth of real estate?

RyX likes this.
  8. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

They are not difficult to find in good condition. I have one as part of my collection but I haven't shaved with it yet. I'm not sure what blade life would be for that much real estate but I typically find that I can get 3-4x as many shaves out of an injector blade then a DE.

RyX likes this.
  9. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

My wife and daughter both use the H. They get 4 to 5 shaves with a Blade. By the way you should get one for yourself. They are awesome shaves. They will also take a twin Blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Linuxguile and clint64 like this.
  10. Weasel640

Can't really find any photos that show the Twin Injector Blades very well. How does the hair, and shaving cream, etc pass between the two blades?

11. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

The hair really does not. The first Blade does most of the cutting. That hair goes under the bar. The second Blade literally sits on top and slightly back of the bottom.

They do not clog up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro