SE equivalent to R41

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MR41, Dec 2, 2017.

1. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

What is the Single Edge Equal to the R41 given the factors below?

I am a big fan of the R41; but I enjoy the way a single edge feels.
    I have tried and enjoy the OCMM , but it is not quite as efficient and the shave doesn't last as long.
    I don't want to pay for efficiency in more harshness.

Please everyone weigh in!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    PickledNorthern likes this.
  2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I get R41 quality shaves from both the Supply Injector, and the Colonial General. They have easily become my two favorite razors when I am not using a straight. BUT, they don’t have a lot of blade feel to them. If that is part of the experience you enjoy with your R41, you may find them lacking.

If you can find an Alumigoose v1, that is a razor that is smooth, efficient, and has that wicked blade feel. The V2 is not at all similar, and is mild to the extreme.

The Shavecraft El Jefe also gives some crazy good shaves.

If a guy is willing to shell out the coin, the Cobras are supposed to be very efficient, as is the Asylum Rx. I haven’t tried either tho.

MR41 likes this.
  3. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I do like the wicked blade feel:git:

I've had a couple of chances to get a Cobra, but I just couldn't do it. The Alumigoose and the El Jefe are intriguing.:santa

4. rabidus

rabidus Member

You looking for the ATT SE2 with a Schick Proline blade!

5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Spend a month or more with only the OCMM, you will get superb long lasting shaves once you dial in your technique with it.

I can easily skip a day using any of the micromatics.

MR41, twhite, mrchick and 3 others like this.
  6. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

Schick Injector Type E from the 1930's

MR41 likes this.
  7. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

:signs011:
    Real quick.....
    Asylum Rx = You want blade feel? This is your ticket. It's heaven or hell, your choice. But when you get it right, nothing comes close. This is a man the :angry019: up razor. Period. Not for everyone. Almost straight like.
    El Jefe (Original) = How is blade feel? Read the Rx. Bonus is that it is sort of adjustable, in a good way. Blade forward is wicked good. Blade back is extremely smooth, efficient and good.
    Classic Cobra/Brass General = The Cobra is smooth, efficient and oh so good. The BG perhaps smoother and a bit more milder but still knocks it out of the park. Very little blade feel with the BG, unless a Feather Super is used, then it's real nice.....
    Never used any of the ATT SE's 1 or 2, but they get real good reviews from users on various forums. The ATT SE 2 being more aggressive of the 2.

8. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

@MR41 the more you used the R41.....the more you'll LOVE IT. It does take while to dial in when you've master your technique with it, and also your skin will take awhile getting used to with the R41 because your skin will start to feel stronger along the way. Trust me I love my R41 and I do used it during rotation, also try the Gillette Nacet or the Astra Superior Platinum with your R41.

Have you got a Bulldog handle? change the original R41 handle to a Bulldog trust me you'll start shaving like MAGIC!!

MR41 likes this.
  9. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Try a feather pro super blade in your AC style razor of choice. Definitely a closer shave in my mongoose.

10. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

I suspect the PAL Injecto-Matic may be your best bet. @Robyflexx could weigh in on that one. :)

gorgo2 and Robyflexx like this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The R41 is my favorite DE razor. The 2011 version is the closest DE shave I get that rivals a good SR shave. May I suggest you try what I consider the epitome of single edge razor shaving- a well-honed straight razor? :p

Str8on2 and Karl G like this.
  12. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Karl is right. The PAL Injecto-Matic is the closest most efficient shave an injector can offer. It's the closest to an R41 I've found in an injector type. :happy088:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    twhite and Karl G like this.
  13. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

The time and expense are stopping me right now. I probably will one day:cool:

Karl G likes this.
  14. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I used the OCMM only for about a year. The R41 shaves just last longer.

Karl G and PanChango like this.
  15. Asylum Rx
    Cobra Classic
    Blackland Sabre Level 2

MR41 likes this.
  16. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

Autostrop VC-1 is considered by many including me to be a straight razor on a stick. I consider it more aggressive than the R41. I have used both Feather, and Gem blades in my VC-1. I can go two days between shaves with the Autostrop. I wish I still had my 2009 R41, it was considered the most aggressive of all versions that were produced. Back then I used Feathers in mine. It would be interesting to try a Kai blade, or a Polsilver Super Iridium in it.

Clayton

17. Flyingbald

Flyingbald Member

I would agree with below. I would say the R41 would be equivalent to the Asylum RX. It was a bit much for me so I had to sell it. The next tier down would be the ATT SE1 IMHO. Next down would be the MRSE Ikon el jefe v2. I do like the MRSE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MR41 likes this.
  18. nikos.a

nikos.a Well-Known Member

Asylum Rx shaves similar to the R41, but it's smoother, at least for me. Head geometry of the Rx reminds me a lot of the injectors.

Rocnel SE-P that takes half-DE blades has a very similar feeling to the R41.

SpeedyPC and MR41 like this.
  19. whiteboy_cannon

whiteboy_cannon Well-Known Member

Ever Ready shovel head

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

MR41 likes this.
  20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yup, you're both right. I have learned to like an aggressive shave but the PAL would still be too much for me. The Schick E is very mild by comparison.

MR41 likes this.