NB '18

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by CliffDweller, Dec 10, 2017.

1. CliffDweller

CliffDweller Well-Known Member

Alright alright alright, we are getting close to the new year....who is in for No-Buy 2018?

Barring a last minute temptation getting the better of me, I have completed NB '17 and I want to keep it going one more year. I feel good that I have gotten my habit under control and I have enjoyed being 'The Finisher" this year, and if I go one more year I should have my stocks relatively under control.

For ground-rules, I think we can all agree on "no new hardware". For consumables, I wanted to consult with you on this one. I would propose something like "we can only buy consumables if we are out of a particular *category* of product". That is to say, if we are about to run out of blades, we can buy a new 100-pack, or if we are about to run out of soap/cream/AS we can buy a new soap or cream to replace. But, if we run out of a particular brand or type of soap/cream/AS/etc, but still have something left in the category we can use, that's a No-Buy.

So, two questions... who else is in? And, do you have any suggested amendments to the above ground-rules?

Happy No-Buy '18!

2. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

I am actually considering doing NB'18 on the theory that after my disastrous NB'17 there's nothing left out there for me to buy...

3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I’m in! I have all the key hardware I want and anything more is just frivolous. I’m planning on downsizing as I have way more equipment than I can use.

I am short on soaps and aftershaves, but I’ll replace them as needed.

CliffDweller, Primotenore and mrchick like this.
  4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Just so I’m straight on the rules...

If I run out of Stirling glacial lemon chill, ordering another tub is okay even if I have a tub of Executive Man? That is, I’m replacing what I used up, but not increasing my inventory?

If so, I’m fine with that.

5. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Count me in. I'll only replace what I completely use up. I may gift a few things as well this year. Stand by for a year end PIF of hardware!

As far as rules @Jim99 that seems fine to me, but as for my approach, I'll only replace soap if I use up that last puck of everything for myself. I don't think that will happen even in this decade. Same for blades. The only thing I see actually using up is aftershave.

6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'm ready to go.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    Primotenore, AGHisBBS and Jim99 like this.
  7. Paul Turner

Hi @Jim99, I think you put your "like" in just as I was deleting the part about buying supermarket/drug store stuff. Reading the rules over, I decided it would be safe to do that.

Jim99 likes this.
  8. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I won’t be increasing my inventory, but just replacing soaps and aftershaves I’ve used up.

9. Paul Turner

Hey, here's a question about NB I always thought about. What if you win a prize during a raffle??????

10. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Getting in early here. I successfully completed 2017 without buying anything, and I can't see that I might need anything more, save perhaps for some consumables.

CliffDweller and mrchick like this.
  11. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I'm in. I do have a razor that I'll be sending for replating. Deal is done, but there is no way the razor will be back by January. As long as that doesn't disqualify me, I do not plan on any purchases of any sort for 2018.

CliffDweller, mrchick and Troy M like this.
  12. Paul Turner

Join me in the challenge-YO!

CliffDweller and AGHisBBS like this.
  13. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Last year, it seems like we said that any purchases/raffles from the TSD shop were exempt from the rules, within reason. You'll know if you are hoarding...

14. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I tried this last year but, unfortunately, was weak and failed.

Think I 'll try again. Got plenty of stuff and don't really need anymore.

Let's do it!

15. Paul Turner

OK thanks.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  16. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Not me. No way. Never ever ever. (Did I make this clear:rolleyes005:)? I know there will be some cool LE/SE brushes coming out next year and I want to keep my options open.

AGHisBBS, Paul Turner and mrchick like this.
  17. Paul Turner

I like the quote you used from Bernie Baruch.

AGHisBBS and Redrock like this.
  18. CliffDweller

CliffDweller Well-Known Member

I was thinking more you can replace the last of a *category* of consumables vs a specific product. So, if I use up a tube of Proraso Green cream but I have a tub of ToBS Avocado cream, I can't buy another cream until they're all gone, but if my favorite B&M soap runs out and I have no more soaps, I can buy another soap of my choice.

But that said, I was throwing it out there for feedback -- this is "our" challenge, not mine, and I'm down with the wisdom of the crowd!

Really great to see so many people ready to give this a go. If I can make it 2 years without buying any product I will feel a real accomplishment, especially considering how out of hand I was getting there for a while.

19. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

I'M IN ... especially after the money i've spent this past year on stuff i DID NOT need. I have several razors, a dozen brushes, numerous soaps and aftershaves and over 400 blades ... in other words i don't need to be buying anything. It's actually an addiction

20. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I’m in and I’m not buying anything. I checked my inventory and I have enough soap to last 2 years and enough Williams to last me a lifetime (I wonder if I could donate 10 pucks of Williams to The Shave Den raffle). As far as razors go, I’m solid and will even look to sell off some of them.