Gillette Adjustable Friday ; Toggles, Fat Boys, Slims, and Black Beauties welcome!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by RyX, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyX

RyX DoH!

There are a few million Gillette #195's out there.
    If you happen to use yours on a Friday (or any other day of the week) post a photo!
    Do share stories about how you came to posses your Fat Boy
    and the other gear used during your Fat Boy Friday shave.

SOTD 12152017.gif

Mike-R41, brit, MR41 and 10 others like this.
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

After moving, all my razors are still packed, so been using an English Flare. I'll need to unpack them to enjoy my Fat Boy Fridays! :D

Fluffyskiador, sdguero and RyX like this.
  3. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Nice thread. Love my Fatty and my Executive. Will post when they come out for a visit!

Herm

4. Fluffyskiador

Fluffyskiador Active Member

My Fat Boy 1960 F1 and Aristocrat #58 de 1953 Made in England.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  5. Herm2502

Nice one Fluffy.

Herm

MR41 and Fluffyskiador like this.
  6. Fluffyskiador

Thanks Herm. Best regards

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

MR41 and Herm2502 like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have a nice one, E2. It is a nice shaver.
    IMG_3957.JPG

Mike-R41, Moose, Recklesstr and 13 others like this.
  8. Fluffyskiador

Beautiful, Jayaruh. Gillette always is beautiful and excelent. Enjoy

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Jayaruh likes this.
  9. James_P

James_P Well-Known Member

I use my fat boy almost everyday. Redrock was very generous and donated it to me. I since convinced my wife I should replate it. I sent it off to Razorplate.com I can’t wait to get it back. I’m going with the stock finish. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brit, MR41, Demidog and 7 others like this.
  10. Fluffyskiador

Replate your Fat Boy, it will be new and you will be much happier and proud of your razor.
    Best regards

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

MR41, Herm2502, sdguero and 3 others like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

I haven't replated a razor yet. Those folks who have had one or more done do seem happy with the results. Ceracote is another option if you want to go with colors. Delta Echo gets lots of business.

Fluffyskiador, sdguero and Enrico like this.
  12. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

I had a Fatboy, Black Beauty and Slim with user grade finishes. Well, the Fatboy and BB were acquired in junk razor lots on eBay and were definitely grungy, with lots of brassing on the Fatboy and corrosion on the BB. I acquired the Slim in a trade with Chris @SharptoothC on the 30DC thread here for a nice Fatboy and while he said it was user grade it was a lot closer to mint.

Anyway, I sent all three off to Delta Echo for matching cerakote finishes in their Ink(tm) pattern -- matte black body with glossy red highlights on the adjustment dial and the grooves in the bodies. Delta Echo did a great job and I couldn't be happier with them. I find they seem smoother or slicker shaving now and the mechanisms work more smoothly too.

Here's the Fatboy (wearing a leather head cover) from one of this week's shaves:

IMG_00000074.jpg

Robert1955, MR41, preidy and 8 others like this.
  13. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Glad to see her in action. That's a sharp look. I found another Fatboy that was in pretty nasty shape when I got it but it cleaned up surprisingly well. I've only got $3 into it, so I am considering a replate on it. This is only further enabling me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Fluffyskiador, sdguero and RyX like this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thanks for sharing John! I was hoping you'd post about yours. The red & black color scheme looks good. I've heard others say the same about how smooth the caps feel when shaving. When you get a chance post a close up of the razor so we can see the details!

MR41, Screwtape and sdguero like this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

I pick mine up for the whopping sum of five bucks. The only thing it's had is Dawn dish liquid, hot water, and tooth brush scrub. Occasional mineral oil drop keeps it operating smooth.

Fluffyskiador, Screwtape and sdguero like this.
  16. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

That's exactly what I did with mine. It looked so bad on the shelf they were practically giving it away and selling it as non-working. A two day soak and some work with the brush and it looks fantastic and everything moves as it should. Just had to look past all the old soap scum.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

17. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

SOTD 12.18.2017
    Pre-shave: Hot Shower
    Brush: Cremo Horsehair by Vie-Long
    Cream: CO Bigelow Shave Cream
    Razor: Gillette adjustable Fatboy E-4
    Blade: Wilkinson-Sword (1)
    Post-shave: TN Dickinson WH, Nivea Sensitive Skin Cooling PS Balm, Skin Bracer

Although it's not Friday yet, this was the first shave with my E4 Fatboy. I acquired this one a couple of months ago at a Thrift Store. I had stopped in at this store a few times looking for shave mugs, or bowls, or razors. I never had any luck until this one day I was going by and decided to stop in an look around. I finally came across this one for $10. It was in very good condition, and obviously well-cared for.

The elderly lady who helped me was very nice and told me her deceased husband used to shave with a DE for many years. She didn't realize they still made razor blades for them. I told her these types of razors are so much nicer to shave with then modern carts, and during our conversation she told me she had a son who hated to shave, but he never used a DE razor before. I suggested if she can find her husband's razor it would be a nice gift to pass on to their son.
    IMG_1911.JPG

brit, MR41, Demidog and 7 others like this.
  18. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Just for you, RyX, I gave up my habit of doing shave pictures with the camera on my BlackBerry PlayBook, dug out my old digital Fujifilm FinePix, and took some macro photos of the razors with it, then uploaded them to my desktop and did my posting from there.

Here are closeups of the three razors from two directions and then of the Fatboy by itself. I notice I need to clean the BB again -- I was doing @Vlasta's Mystery Shave Cream Challenge with it and some of the creams left white scum on my equipment. The cerakote practically wipes off though, so that isn't exactly difficult.

Delta Echo FB BB and Slim 02.JPG Delta Echo FB BB and Slim.JPG Delta Echo Fatboy.JPG

MaxG, brit, MR41 and 11 others like this.
  19. Herm2502

Very cool, mysterious looking razors!

Herm

RyX and sdguero like this.
  20. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Fat Boy Friday 12.22.2017
    Face Shave
    Pre-shave: early morning walk with the dogs, black coffee and a hot shower
    Brush: Barburys by Sibel
    Soap + Cream: Williams Mug Shaving Soap + Barburys by Sibel Shaving Cream whipped up in a Suribachi bowl
    Razor: Gillette Fat Boy E-4 (dialed in at #4)
    Blade: Wilkinson-Sword (5)
    Post-shave: Assured WH, Nivea Sensitive Skin PS Balm, C.O. Bigelow Barber Cologne No 1585 (Elixir White)

Head Shave
    Everything was the same except I dialed the Fat boy to #9

I molested the Williams soap this morning, and commented more on this combination. If you're interested it's at http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/barburys-by-sibel-shaving-cream.58303/

I achieved a pretty, however, mediocre lather from the Williams + Barburys shaving cream combo, but in the interest of wet-shaving science I maintained my focus and continued my shave this morning in spite of the high probability for personal harm. I managed a DFS on my face shave after 2 primary passes.... which I did fairly quickly because of the mediocre lather. It had been about 7 days since I last did a head shave so I did that too. At first I kept the Fat Boy on #4 but as soon as I started a short stroke on the side of my scalp (where I have a lot of hair growth) it plugged up quickly. I dialed the razor to #9 and kept going. I still had to take short passes but it cut through with patience.... no tugging from the blade so I knew the blade was still working well. Ultimately I achieved a CCS on my scalp with a nick on the crown.

Have a Merry Christmas everyone!
    sotd 12.22.2017.jpg

CarlfromMO, brit, MR41 and 8 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.